ED "Boss" Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ED "Boss" Davis

I've always been a big supporter of Ed ever since he fell to us at 13. Since day one his shown the potential to be a legit double double guy. His had so many setback in his young career, with this year being his first training camp. I think his proved that his a starting PF in this league. His your old fashion PF though. His not flashy or sexy but he gets it done. He rebounds and protects the rim. With an expanding offensive game. With a league disappearing of legit big man I think Ed is a keeper. That's why it upsets me hearing his name in trade talk. I think it would a big mistake to let him go. Don't get me wrong I don't except him to be a superstars but, I see his ceiling Al Horford. Not a superstar but, a player that can help you win games.

Stats this season

As Starting Foward 48 min pace 19 .553FG .630FT 11.5(3.3 Off)Rebs 2.7Ast 1.4Blk 1.0Stl 3.8PF 2.1TO 19.0Pts

As Starting Foward 19 31.7mins .553FG .630Ft 7.6(2.2 Off)Rebs 1.8Ast 0.9Blk 0.6Stl 2.5Ft 1.4TO 12.6Pts

Hollingers thoughts before the season

Scouting report
    + Long, slim lefty who can leap. Excellent finisher, shot-blocker and rebounder.
    + Good at short flips near basket but can't create own shot. Turnover-prone.
    + No post game and jumper a question mark. Lack of strength a major problem on D.

Analysis
    I think it's fair to call this past season a setback. Davis had a fairly productive rookie year built mostly on an unusually high field goal percentage, but that mark predictably fell back to earth and he didn't offset it with any other improvements.

If anything, he backslid. Davis is long and can jump but badly needs to hit the weights, as he was absolutely thrashed physically by most opposing big men. Despite the abuse, he had an excellent rebound rate, ranking ninth among power forwards, and was 11th at the position in blocks.

This would be fine if he could play the 4 offensively, but he can't. Davis is a 5 in a 4's body, as he can only finish around the rim and can't create anything for himself. Over his two pro seasons, he's made 31.5 percent from beyond 10 feet, which doesn't cut it. He's great at the basket (75 percent last season), and very good on short-range hooks and flips (50.3 percent career from 3 to 9 feet), plus he draws fouls.

Unfortunately, his sky-high turnover ratio (61st out of 70 power forwards) blunts those positives, and he just doesn't get open enough to take advantage of his finishing skills -- Davis averaged only 10.8 points per 40 minutes last season. He is only 23 and still has time to improve, but right now he's a "4.5" who doesn't quite fit at either frontcourt slot.
    @Chr1st1anL

I've also been a fan of ed davis, ever since I felt it was lucky that he fell to us at 13.

I just think he has a great feel for the game. some of the passes he makes, running the floor last night and finishing, just flashes of brilliance like that makes me want to keep the guy, of course, I would give him up for elite talent if it made us better in the long run. But if that doesn't happen, or better yet we can get away with trading derozan I say keep the guy.

he isn't without faults, plays lazy basketball at times (might be a conditioning issue), still too many mental mistakes, lacks the bulk, something makes terrible offensive decisions. But he has talent and it is shining through.

Comment

I don't think Ed will be as good as Horford. He doesn't have the passing ability and range Horford does. He's still a quality player though.

While I agree with most of Hollinger's preseason scouting report, there are a few things I don't understand:

Turnover-prone.
      Ed averaged 1.1 and 1.6 TOs per 36 on a turnover rate of 10% and 14% in his first two years respectively. To put that in perspective Amir's was 20% and Andrea's 11% last season. That doesn't read as turnover prone to me.

I think it's fair to call this past season a setback. Davis had a fairly productive rookie year built mostly on an unusually high field goal percentage
      If anything, he backslid
      Again if we look at Ed's per 36 between his rookie and 2nd year, they are amazingly similar. His FG% did go down, but still remained in a very good range at +51%, his TOs did go up a touch and his pts down a touch. But on a whole its nothing much, especially if we factor in the change of pace (slower) and the change in the teams 'style' (sacrifice offensive rebounds to run back on defense).

The biggest issue I thought last year was Casey actually cut Ed Davis' minutes to the year before. This despite Andrea missing over half the season, and Amir shifting to the C.

This would be fine if he could play the 4 offensively, but he can't. Davis is a 5 in a 4's body
      still never understand why people don't believe PFs can't be simple functional players who are efficient. As far as I'm concerned this is the Andrea Bargnani mindset - need to be a highly gifted offensive player to be a PF. But simplicity, efficiency and productivity go a long way to make up, and at times exceed, that 'offensive talent'.

Comment

Yeah, Al Horford is what I was hoping for from Ed when he was drafted. He's clearlly not quite that type of player though. he has more bounce in his game, and less skill (at this point).

I think Ed's biggest problem is on D. He's a decent team defender and actually has a very high ceiling here, where he seems to have great instincts in terms of spacing, which help him on O too. However, he's so weak individually. He doesn't use quickness well, and he doesn't have the strength yet to be a great post defender. This is what could keep him from being a starter in the long run, assuming he even keeps improving his jumper and FT% a tiny bit for another year or two. He's gotta find a way to at least guard certain kinds of players. Right now he can't guard tweeners like Thad Young, but he also can't guard bigs.

Comment

Ed has some skills that can't be taught, like an excellent feel around the rim, rebounding, and quick off the feet. He is even becoming consistent on the jumper. I have no doubt that he will only get better, and learn at a rapid pace. Last year he sucked, and look at the difference now. He's just improving at everything.

I hope we keep him, as he will be a force very soon.

Comment

Love Ed but he needs to add some serious strength. Carlos Boozer and Lavoy Allen absolutely abused him all game. I'd love to see the raps trade for a guy like Millsap to man the 4 for a couple years while Davis develops. If he could add some bulk but maintain his athleticism he could be a serious piece moving forward.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Love Ed but he needs to add some serious strength. Carlos Boozer and Lavoy Allen absolutely abused him all game. I'd love to see the raps trade for a guy like Millsap to man the 4 for a couple years while Davis develops. If he could add some bulk but maintain his athleticism he could be a serious piece moving forward.
              I've been impressed by ED's offensive development but his D leaves quite a bit to be desired right now.

Comment

Yeah. It's really frustrating watching you team lose to a great team like Chicago because they don't have anyone that can guard Carlos fucking Boozer of all players.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

18Pts n 8rebs just another day at the office for the "Boss"
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

15.8 Pts 8.6 Rebs 2.2 Ast 0.8 Blk 0.4 Stl .581 FG .500 FT in the last 5 games
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      15.8 Pts 8.6 Rebs 2.2 Ast 0.8 Blk 0.4 Stl .581 FG .500 FT in the last 5 games
                      Last 5 games opponents of guys who played the most at PF in the game:

Pau Gasol 33mins, 25pts, 10-15, 5rebs
                      Thaddeus Young 45mins, 27pts, 13-19, 14 rebs
                      Carlos Boozer 41mins, 36pts, 16-24, 12rebs
                      Reggie Evans 22mins, 2pts, 7rebs
                      John Henson 22mins, 19pts, 8-13, 6rebs

I'm not tryinig to discredit ED, he has come a long way and I know all those stats are not on him. Point is: he still needs work on the other side of the ball.

With all that said, I'd much rather roll with ED than AB.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Last 5 games opponents of guys who played the most at PF in the game:

Pau Gasol 33mins, 25pts, 10-15, 5rebs
                        Thaddeus Young 45mins, 27pts, 13-19, 14 rebs
                        Carlos Boozer 41mins, 36pts, 16-24, 12rebs
                        Reggie Evans 22mins, 2pts, 7rebs
                        John Henson 22mins, 19pts, 8-13, 6rebs

I'm not tryinig to discredit ED, he has come a long way and I know all those stats are not on him. Point is: he still needs work on the other side of the ball.

With all that said, I'd much rather roll with ED than AB.
                        Pau Gasol is an all-star his going to get his but he kept him off the glass though.

Boozer is just too powerful for Ed at this stage.

Thad Young I feel like most of his points came from Holiday penetration with Ed helping and leaving Thad

Henson was playing against the second unit most of the time I think

You make a very good point though.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Pau Gasol is an all-star his going to get his but he kept him off the glass though.

Boozer is just too powerful for Ed at this stage.

Thad Young I feel like most of his points came from Holiday penetration with Ed helping and leaving Thad

Henson was playing against the second unit most of the time I think

You make a very good point though.
                          As do you.

Comment

Ed Davis has pretty decent handles too. Thats 2 games now that i've seen him dribble to the rim for an easy layup, the one against philly was a full court take. He's got some Bosh in his game

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Ed Davis has pretty decent handles too. Thats 2 games now that i've seen him dribble to the rim for an easy layup, the one against philly was a full court take. He's got some Bosh in his game
                              They were both on the left hand side. He wouldn't think about it twice doing that on the right. I think it catches defenses by surprise to actually see him bring in up. That they don't think his actually going to go to the rim. It shows how much Ed's confidence has risen doing that in back to back games.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                              X