Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pieces that fit together and the plan moving forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pieces that fit together and the plan moving forward.

I just want to start by saying, I think colangelo has done a piss poor job, of assembling a group of players that can play winning basketball and develop some chemistry together. We have talented players (not being a homer), but what the hell is the point if they can't play together as a group and build chemistry with each other. It goes back to his botched attempt at signing nash, and spending alot of assets in surrounding nash with a group of players that he can play with.

my interest as a fan of this club is seriously waning.

my solution.

we keep calderon a little longer because

a) he fits better with MOST of our young talent (ross,davis,valanciuas, FIELDS)
    b) appease the fans with his stable (albeit unspectacular) play.
    c) focus on turning all of our other assets into a star, andrew wiggins.

the next 2 years are going to be like this:

jose calderon (resigned)
    terrence ross
    landry fields
    Ed davis
    Jonas Valanciunas.

it is going to be fun watching these players (who's style of play fit well with the skills calderon has to offer)develop no doubt,considering players like ross and valanciunas getting better I think we could be a fringe playoff team with that group next year.

EVERYONE else, kyle lowry, demar derozan, andrea bargnani, need to in some form or another turned into 2014 lottery picks, so we can get andrew wiggins.I don't for a second think these players don't have value, I think they are some of the most talented players on the team. And that they are desirable by other teams.

Im not a fucking GM, I can't lay out exact trades to show you how we get wiggins, especially since there is so much variability on who is going to suck, and I don't nearly know enought about the other teams to comment. I'm just setting a general plan of action and am wondering if anyone agrees or not. thoughts?

you have no idea how painful it was to come up with this, Im one of the biggest backers of lowry and derozan, but I guess im transitioning into thinking long term for this team, or maybe I just don't care anymore...

Comment

oh yeah, so if we get wiggins.

we will have a core of :

jose
      ross
      wiggins
      davis
      valanciunas.

with 4 of the 5 playing together and developing from this year onwards, and a superstar in wiggins. I think that team has a pretty good chance of being contenders, if not we blow it up...
      Last edited by akashsingh; Tue Jan 22, 2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Who's to say Calderon even wants to re-sign here?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          you don't know he isn't open to the idea.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Me. We were chatting over lunch the other day.

It went something like this.

Tim: Hey Jose, thanks for buying me lunch.

Jose: I want to stay with the Raptors for half of my current contract.

Tim: Oh that's cool Jose, I wasn't going to ask but thanks for awkwardly leading off with that.
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I am a huge Calderon fan, but I question how any plan can be a "future looking, long-term building plan" when extending Calderon (will be 32 at the start of next season) is a cornerstone. By the time a core starting lineup of Ross, Valanciunas and any TBD rookies are ready to compete for a deep playoff run, Calderon will very likely be retired.

Also, if Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry (and others) are all going to be traded, I would seriously hope that they would combine to net more than a couple 2014 1st round draft picks in return. I would hope that at least 1 legit young talent would be acquired, who would be added to the core group going forward.

Basically I see this "plan" boiling down to a couple knee-jerk observations:
              1. Our young guys (Valanciunas, Ross and Davis) have talent and potential, so there's still hope with them.
              2. Calderon is a great distributor and has been key to our recent winning, so he's gotta stay forever.
              3. Wiggins is getting lots of hype and is Canadian, so it's only natural he'll be this franchise's savior.
              4. Everybody else is under the bus and useless for everything but going all-in for #3.

I think I'll just sit back and let a real GM - yes, even BC - manage the team's roster, thank you.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                you don't know he isn't open to the idea.
                No one knows, but based on the circumstances outlined below, it seems reasonable that Calderon may look elsewhere:

1. Was already traded once before to Charlotte,
                2. Is constantly being replaced in the starting lineup by newly acquired PGs (Ford, Jack, Lowry),
                3. His agent spoke publicly of his displeasure over the Lowry acquisition,
                4. He's in his 30s, and has never played for a contending team.

The only thing the Raptors have going for them is familiarity, and a proven willingness to overspend.
                Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

can u really be a fan if your interest is waning? were already in the midst of a re build & your suggesting tearing it down & re building again?? only time an arcitect tears down a half built house is if the foundation is sinking! & i dont think were sinking at all...were prob. right were we should be..patience is a virtue most do not understand...
                  Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Jan 22, 2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    Me. We were chatting over lunch the other day.

It went something like this.

Tim: Hey Jose, thanks for buying me lunch.

Jose: I want to stay with the Raptors for half of my current contract.

Tim: Oh that's cool Jose, I wasn't going to ask but thanks for awkwardly leading off with that.
                    Are you Tim W.???

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                      only time an arcitect tears down a half built house is if the foundation is sinking! & i dont think were sinking at all...were prob. right were we should be..patiance is a vurtue most do not understand...
                      If the architect was supposed to design a house and instead is having a barn built then you have to tear it down midway through and start over.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I am a huge Calderon fan, but I question how any plan can be a "future looking, long-term building plan" when extending Calderon (will be 32 at the start of next season) is a cornerstone. By the time a core starting lineup of Ross, Valanciunas and any TBD rookies are ready to compete for a deep playoff run, Calderon will very likely be retired.

Also, if Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry (and others) are all going to be traded, I would seriously hope that they would combine to net more than a couple 2014 1st round draft picks in return. I would hope that at least 1 legit young talent would be acquired, who would be added to the core group going forward.

Basically I see this "plan" boiling down to a couple knee-jerk observations:
                        1. Our young guys (Valanciunas, Ross and Davis) have talent and potential, so there's still hope with them.
                        2. Calderon is a great distributor and has been key to our recent winning, so he's gotta stay forever.
                        3. Wiggins is getting lots of hype and is Canadian, so it's only natural he'll be this franchise's savior.
                        4. Everybody else is under the bus and useless for everything but going all-in for #3.

I think I'll just sit back and let a real GM - yes, even BC - manage the team's roster, thank you.
                        1. this is bad because?
                        2. calderon shouldn't forever, he is just a very solid option until we are good enough to attract another talented pg
                        3. wiggins is getting a lot of hype b/c he is good/a franchise changing talent/his natural god given leaping ability. it isn't just because he is canadian.
                        4. they don't fit in with the rest of the team.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                          can u really be a fan if your interest is waning? were already in the midst of a re build & your suggesting tearing it down & re building again?? only time an arcitect tears down a half built house is if the foundation is sinking! & i dont think were sinking at all...were prob. right were we should be..patience is a virtue most do not understand...
                          my interest is waning because BC comes of with these half baked plans/doesn't have a plan at all. Im all for patient if a clear plan was in store.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            If the architect was supposed to design a house and instead is having a barn built then you have to tear it down midway through and start over.
                            LOL good point LOL i dont think we got a barn, but our house is def. missing some key pieces

weve got plumbing though LOL
                            Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                              oh yeah, so if we get wiggins.

we will have a core of :

jose
                              ross
                              wiggins
                              davis
                              valanciunas.

with 4 of the 5 playing together and developing from this year onwards, and a superstar in wiggins. I think that team has a pretty good chance of being contenders, if not we blow it up...
                              You posted two comments on your own thread before anyone else even commented. Thats funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X