Toronto @ Orlando: January 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto @ Orlando: January 24

Mired in a lengthy losing stretch, the Orlando Magic can't be happy to see the Toronto Raptors again.

Defensively challenged Orlando tries to avoid a four-game season sweep at the hands of visiting Toronto on Thursday night.

The Magic (14-27) haven't been able to slow anyone down of late, allowing 106.2 points per game -- 7.3 more than their season mark -- during a 2-14 skid.

Two of those losses came against the Raptors (15-27), who pulled out a 93-90 home win Dec. 21 before cruising to a 123-88 rout at Amway Center eight days later. DeMar DeRozan scored 21 and Jose Calderon had 15 points and 10 assists in that most recent matchup as Toronto shot a season-high 56.1 percent.

The Raptors also won 97-86 on Nov. 18, snapping a three-game skid in the series. Their only season sweep of Orlando came in 2006-07.

"They've been pretty tough for us," Magic coach Jacque Vaughn said. "They made shots last time here in our building, and that kind of snowballed in their favor. We have to control their guards, keep them out of the paint, and also be able to contests shots. We got our work cut out."

The Magic suffered their third straight defeat Tuesday, 105-90 at Detroit. J.J. Redick scored 26 but Orlando was outrebounded 54-41 and only forced eight turnovers, dropping to 1-14 when creating 10 or fewer.

The Magic, who are last in the league with 489 forced turnovers, have created a combined 27 against Toronto this season.

"You have to take ownership, and in order to take ownership, you have to play harder and hold each other accountable," Redick said. "We, as a group, need to play harder and that's really on the defense end. We've harped on it now for a few weeks, we're having issues on that end. I don't think it's the schemes, I think it's just doing everything a little bit harder and trusting each other."

While it's been a disappointing first half for Orlando, Vaughn is trying to stay positive with 41 games still to come.

"I don't think any player on this team wants to lose basketball games, and our approach has always been if we continue to work hard, success will come," he said. "It's a long season, and it's filled with it ebbs and flows. It's a matter of having a will to get through those ebbs and flows, and staying together through it.

"This group's done that. It wasn't our best effort in Detroit -- I think we would all concur -- but the great thing is the NBA presents another opportunity."

After beating the Los Angeles Lakers 108-103 to snap a four-game skid Sunday, the Raptors couldn't keep up three nights later in a 123-116 overtime loss at Miami. Alan Anderson had 20 points off the bench to lead seven players in double figures but Toronto, which has seen three of its last four games go to OT, lost the rebounding battle 53-28.

"We've been competing against everybody," said Calderon, who made a season-high five 3-pointers and finished with 17 points. "We're playing much better. We're sharing the ball. We can compete against everybody. We've got to compete every night. ... When we play as a team, we're good. We don't have LeBron James."

The Raptors are 4-18 on the road, where they're allowing 104.1 points to rank near the bottom of the league.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400278349
    A day off after losing in Detroit.

Lost 14 of 16.

Facing season sweep to Raptors.

Raps blew them out AT HOME last go round.

If the Magic aren't ready for this game, they might as well mail in the final 40.

I hope Toronto is ready.

Go Raps.

wow TSN is now HD!! what a nice surprise

hopefully TSN2 will follow suit

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
      wow TSN is now HD!! what a nice surprise

hopefully TSN2 will follow suit
      what? My TSN/2 has been in HD for years. Im talking back to 2006/7 at least.
      Last edited by Pill; Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Pill wrote: View Post
        what? My TSN/2 has been in HD for years. Im talking back to 2006/7 at least.
        damn, not mine.. what gives

Comment

first time writer, been following raptors republic for about 6 years now,huge fan, but decided to boycott the raptors until they get there shit together. in the mean time, Golden State is the team im routing for this year.

but here are some trades that i would do if i was GM

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bf9mtky - i feel could be interchangeable with al jeff or paul milsa

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a3m69qv - long shot but obtain a much talented pg and good insurance at in the front court, not to mention both would like to play in toronto

and

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ayhmb59 - frees up ross for time at the SG pos, and gives us that young capable SF who is still young.

depth chart would look something like

lowry/jennings, jose, lucas
          ross, brewer,bell
          chandler,pietrus
          milsap/davis, acy
          valanciunas/jefferson, amir, gray/dalembert

following in the blueprints of the warriors, they resemble their type of roster, capable of run n gun, but still loads of potential on the defensive end.

and to add, love dwayne casey, but the man is not ready for head coaching duties yet, i would try to go after a coach like jerry sloan, who follows a systematic style of coaching. much better for a team with no pure superstar.

thoughts?

Comment

wrong thread dude

Comment

need to go to the bench early.. they're lookin tired

Comment

yeah

Comment

Thoughts on Nicholson? I've been trying to think of who his game might be similar to

Comment

I know there has been a lot of harping on demar lately but I just wish he had an ounce of explosiveness with the ball in his hands.. he just slowly floats around screens or along the perimeter.. his drives have to be wide open for him to make it to the rim cause he's so slow

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Thoughts on Nicholson? I've been trying to think of who his game might be similar to
                      admittedly, I haven't paid enough attention to him but he seems to be a good player

Comment

basketballCrush: no pictures today?

Comment

Updates and impressions from those of you watching would be appreciated. I am stuck refreshing the NBA.com page at work right now!

/edit: The stats make it look like Lowry and AA came in and brought the Raps a lift??

Comment

symbot wrote: View Post
                            Updates and impressions from those of you watching would be appreciated. I am stuck refreshing the NBA.com page at work right now!

/edit: The stats make it look like Lowry and AA came in and brought the Raps a lift??
                            Not much to say about the game so far really.. boring slow pace.. both teams look disinterested.. that's my impression anyway

Comment

symbot wrote: View Post

Gray had a nice stint off the bench. Didn't hurt the team. Baited Big Baby into a tech.

Comment

Working...
                              X