No announcement yet.

Why Trading Jose Calderon & Andrea Bargnani to LA for Dwight Howard makes sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Trading Jose Calderon & Andrea Bargnani to LA for Dwight Howard makes sense

Why does it make sense for LA?
    - They get to bring in a talented big man that will play in their system better than Dwight has been fitting in. There will be no spacing issues between Gasol and Bargnani because the former is a stretch 4. With a coach like D'antoni (Italian) and a PG like Steve Nash, the lakers would become a formidable offensive unit. They simply put Gasol at the 5 and play 4 out 1 in, shooters like Nash, Metta World, Bargnani, and Kobe keep the floor spaced for Gasol who is one of the most skilled big men down low.

Why it makes sense for Toronto?
    - First of all lets assume that Dwight is not going to resign with us, we can sign and trade him and get something for him that way. However, if he does resign with us that is a HUGE bonus. But I am assuming he will not. The raptors get to dump Bargnani's contract, and with Dwight expiring and coming off the books, we can amnesty Kleiza and have over 15 million in free cap space next year. More than enough for us to sign a Legit star free agent in the off season (Josh Smith would be a nice fit at SF).

Any thoughts?
    "Defense wins championships."

I had 4 sentences written up letting you know how dumb, stupid, ridiculous this post is, but after reading it, its actually not a bad argument.

The only way this would happen is if they had a 100% surefire confirmation that he will not sign with the Lakers, otherwise, they will still do everything in their power to sign him first.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      I had 4 sentences written up letting you know how dumb, stupid, ridiculous this post is, but after reading it, its actually not a bad argument.

The only way this would happen is if they had a 100% surefire confirmation that he will not sign with the Lakers, otherwise, they will still do everything in their power to sign him first.
      Honestly I think their is a danger for the lakers that Dwight does NOT resign, he is not fitting in well, the pressure must be tremendous, and at this stage in his career he wants to be the "guy" and have the ball more. That's not happening right now, he probably regrets leaving Orlando. That being said, if the lakers can turn an expiring contract into a proven scorer like bargnani, that might not be such a bad deal for them.

Bargnani gets united with D'antoni. Calderon gets united with Gasol. Everyone is happy.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        Honestly I think their is a danger for the lakers that Dwight does NOT resign, he is not fitting in well, the pressure must be tremendous, and at this stage in his career he wants to be the "guy" and have the ball more. That's not happening right now, he probably regrets leaving Orlando. That being said, if the lakers can turn an expiring contract into a proven scorer like bargnani, that might not be such a bad deal for them.

Bargnani gets united with D'antoni. Calderon gets united with Gasol. Everyone is happy.
        I never thought the day would come when an NBA team's problem is "fitting in a 6-11 elite scoring, rebounding, shotblocking bigman franchise player". I think all the other 29 teams in the league wouldnt mind having that problem, but again, the Lakers are the Lakers.

I dont think Howard will leave. He knows L.A. is a big market. And he knows, Kobe probably only has 2 at the most 3 years left in the NBA. Once Kobe leaves L.A. it's his. At least right now in L.A., he only has Kobe to worry about, if he goes to the nets, if he thinks he aint getting shots now, then might as well just not ask for the ball in brooklyn. Worse in Houston. Or the Clippers.
        Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Jan 25, 2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

If the Lakers decide to trade Howard this year, they can and will do WAY better than that offer from Toronto. I personally think that D'Antoni & Kobe's extreme hero-ball are the biggest problems in LA, but Howard could be the one to go. If he doesn't get traded, I think he likely winds up in Atlanta with Josh Smith.

IF LA thinks they are better to move him, Atlanta has expiring contracts and 1st round draft picks to offer, which I think would significantly trump any Toronto offer.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            If the Lakers decide to trade Howard this year, they can and will do WAY better than that offer from Toronto. I personally think that D'Antoni & Kobe's extreme hero-ball are the biggest problems in LA, but Howard could be the one to go. If he doesn't get traded, I think he likely winds up in Atlanta with Josh Smith.

IF LA thinks they are better to move him, Atlanta has expiring contracts and 1st round draft picks to offer, which I think would significantly trump any Toronto offer.
            Would they give that up for an expiring contract knowing that Howard can walk at the end of the year though? I don't think they can ask for much more unless he agrees to extend, Atlanta can just wait for him to become an unrestricted free agent to make him whatever offer they want and keep their draft picks.

Comment

The Lakers would be stupid to trade him to TOR when they can perhaps flip him to Atlanta for Horford and Smith. Howard will then sign with ATL and they will go hard after CP3. That's a more logical move.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
              X