Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Gay gets to the line less than Demar.
    Demar doesnt have two forward-centers who play together the whole game, sleeping, eating and making a living in the paint.

Plus, Gay wouldnt need FTs to finish games.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      Very True. Did you see the Pacers-Nuggets game when Iguodala got fouled with 0.5 secs left? That was nothing compared to how Demar got hit tonight, but still the refs awarded Iguodala with a star-call and gave him FTs to win the game.
      You mean after Iguodala got away with a foul on Paul George?????
      Or you mean OJ Mayo not getting the call in Dallas....?????
      http://www.nba.com/2013/news/01/30/n....ap/index.html

It has nothing to do with who our team's got....it has everything to do with NBA refs sucking

Comment

Demar doesnt have two forward-centers who play together the whole game, sleeping, eating and making a living in the paint.

This is what people are forgetting. Gay is going to explode in Toronto, the atmosphere here is going to fuel that. Loudest arena in the league back in the VC days. And its about to become that again
        Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Only Gasol plays entirely in the low post. Randolph spends a lot of time on the perimeter as well. He has good post moves, but he doesn't limit the space he uses.

And you're right, he'd settle for a jumper....so he better start shooting them better...

Comment

I love the trade, and unlike many here, Derozan and Gay should be a really nice wing duo.

Kleiza, Bargnani, Fields are the more likely candidates in my opinion for trades.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Rudy Gay is usually forced to be more perimeter oriented with the example you said. Rudy Gay is originally known as a "slasher, who can create a shot and shoot from outside". Not a "outside shooter than can find his way to the basket."
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I like the negativity.

brings back memories of jv and tr draftings.
                It's fun being on the other side all the time isn't (I realize the irony of this considering I was against drafting JV), but I was right about everything else damnit!)
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

I'm concerned about the finances for a team that isn't very good. If you are capped out, you damn well better be in the top portion of the playoffs, not scrapping for 8th.

In an on court sense, neither Gay or Demar are great shooters, so I wonder about the overlap and redundancy of their games. I am most worried about T Ross since he has the shooting and has been progressing nicely. If Fields continues to get minutes over Ross then we have just sabotaged our best winger (long-term).

Gay will put up numbers and I do believe we had to make a move. But I don't like that we didn't get anything other than 1 player out of this deal, who makes max money but without being truly elite. He isn't Durant, LeBron or Paul, or even Westbrook, Love, or Griffin. He is solidly a tier below but with the same financial responsibilities. I would prefer Granger, but one thing is for sure, this is a turning point in the franchise and will ultimately decide the fate of Colangelo.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

This is true about the capping out, but nothing has changed. We have the same flexibility now as we would have had if we didn't make the trade. Colangelo unfortunately cornered himself in that position with the number of horrible signings and an unnecessary extension.

The difference is before you could wiggle your toes and now to do that you have to hold your breath.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

prior to the trade... i did not like it...

when it happened, i was suprisingly indifferent...

in hindsight, i'm not so mad... and i'm on the brink of liking it

the reality is, the raps weren't going to convince a top level SF to come here as a free agent... our history in free agency should prove that... and with the assets the team had, what were we really going to get through a trade?

Gay is the best case scenario.... sure, you can think that a franchise player would be the best case scenario, but really that's an unrealistic case scenario

seeing Jose go SUCKS... it really sucks...

but you got to give up something to get something.. and it's not so much about his quality as a player, but his contract's value as a trade asset

Bargs wasn't going to get us a quality SF... Derozan wasn't going to get us a quality SF... a big expiring contract, that would.

and Gay is a solid player... he might not be a superstar player, but immediately he becomes the player on the team closest to being one..

and if it doesn't pan out... the hilarity of upcoming Gay jokes will soften the blow

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        You mean after Iguodala got away with a foul on Paul George?????
                        Or you mean OJ Mayo not getting the call in Dallas....?????
                        http://www.nba.com/2013/news/01/30/n....ap/index.html

It has nothing to do with who our team's got....it has everything to do with NBA refs sucking
                        Didnt that just proved my point? That stars get star calls or non-calls as well?

I dont think its that NBA refs suck, but what they decide to do at certain times in games. Its not like they "missed" a call, it was their decision not to make the call. And they really dont care if the NBA apologizes or not, fact of the matter is, game is done, they went home early, end of story.

Why would Casey go on a tirade like that if he didnt feel like his team was robbed? It was intentional on the part of referees, they choose not to blow the whistle, its not a matter of did they see it or not, its a matter of not acknowledging it.

Comment

No, it doesn't prove your point, wtf are you talking about? Your argument was that Iguodala got a call because he was a star. Well, George is a star, and young usually trumps old in the NBA, unless you're Kobe or Duncan. George and Indiana were robbed of the game. They deserved to win, not Iggy and Denver.
                          As for Mayo, he's a way bigger name than Price, and Portland got the benefit of the call on a block/charge. By your initial logic, Mayo should have gotten the whistle as he was clearly the bigger name/star in that play...so why did they give it to Portland?
                          If you're LeBron or Kobe, or KD or Melo, you will get calls. But guys like George, Mayo, Demar....2nd and 3rd tier stars who deserve calls at time but don't get them. So my point is, who you are has nothing to do with what call you get. Refs make bad calls for no real reason. And Raps fans should know that as VINCE NEVER GOT A STAR WHISTLE while he was here, and he was the most popular player in the world for some of that time. NBA refs suck. Star calls happen, but Demar's call had nothing to do with who he was. Mayo and George were my examples to support that it doesn't matter who you are, if the refs don't want to make the call, they won't. And they're either not making it because they don't see it, which is terrible, or they are choosing to ignore a game-deciding play...which is even worse....

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I like the negativity.

brings back memories of jv and tr draftings.
                            so the jury is out on JV and TR already? I havent seen anything special from them yet.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                              so the jury is out on JV and TR already? I havent seen anything special from them yet.
                              Have you been watching consistently?

Their play has not been consistent but there is enough flashes to think they were solid picks and both were absolutely slammed by fans and media when it happened.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                                When I first started watching and loving NBA ball, the Raptors didn't exist. I loved the Malone/Stockton Jazz and Hakeem's Rockets. Being Canadian, though, and a naïve kid, I got excited about the Raptors, first with Mighty Mouse, and then really became a die-hard fan during the Vince Carter years. It's been 15 painful, abusive years of fandom now, and let me tell you: I'm getting out. I'm checking into a battered fan's shelter. Maybe I'll find a new team to love; right now both the Jazz and the Rockets, my first flings, seem like really great bandwagons to jump on.
                                BC is just trying to save his job period.
                                All I know is, the Raptors are fucked for the foreseeable future. I can forgive some of Colangelo's mistakes. I thought O'Neal was a risky move, but one worth taking. I loved the drafting of Bargnani. I was really starting to get on board with Ross, and I was excited for JV's future. I was an extremely vocal supporter of the Fields signing. I even gave him a pass for not trading Bosh--maybe there just weren't any decent deals out there worth taking.

But I just can't forgive him the Turkoglu signing, or the Bargnani extension, or the DeRozan extension. All of those moves looked terrible at the time, were almost universally condemned (well, there were a few weirdos who thought the Turk deal, though certainly an overpayment, was a worthwhile risk to keep Bosh around), and turned out awful. And now here's another one. Nobody--but nobody--thinks this trade is a good idea. I won't even go into the reasons, because it's just so obvious.

Toronto for the next 3 years is stuck in the same position the Isaiah Thomas Knicks were in, and I'm not sticking around to take the abuse.
                                BC is just trying to save his job period.

Comment

Working...
                                X