Four players we should target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    some ppl think he's mediocre because of his average stats (mainly fg% and PER) They have a point, but there is no doubting his talent and athleticism. Plus there is a good chance he'll return to his previous form since it seems to be the norm for him
    He's not mediocre at all. He's going to explode in Toronto

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      he is buried behind Kirilenko and Love... and he is a four with range. If your PG/SG and PF can drop threes at or around 35 - 40%...and your C can hammer people on screens and dive to the bucket... = easy offense.

2.) If you have Lowry/Ross/Gay/Williams on the floor then during crunch time defensive plays you switch on every screen. You will often see crunch time subs from many other teams in order to put someone out there that allows you to switch.
      Anytime ive seen DW play he's looked terrible. Maybe I missed his breakout games or games where he showed any potential and if that's the case... meh.. still don't want him

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        He's not mediocre at all. He's going to explode in Toronto
        He'll show Demar what real Beast MOde is

Comment

My vote is Millsap (or any of the Jazz bigs), J.J. Hickson or Carl Landry. It would be nice to have a PF that plays around the basket, defends and rebounds. Anyone like that sound be acquired. Bargs, Anderson, Fields and Klieza can all go.

Comment

I don't get trading for millsap. free agent in two months so unless it's fields and klieza why trade for him?

I am all for Williams and ridnour now. love ridnour. good pg. I would also take a flyer on Williams at the 4.

in the past I have been for Blake but he has been pretty broken down this year, so I would hope it's someone else.

really I would like to grab sullinger and melo off of Boston if possible. if we can turn bargs into something there, who cares we have no pick this year. I was one who really didn't want to draft sullinger but he has played well this year and not a single injury.

Comment

Good thread, borderline shocked that people haven't proposed stupid trades yet....hmmm.

I really like all the people mentioned, wondering if we couldn't squeeze either Ridnour or Shved out of Minny on one of those trades. I think Pek has earned himself a lofty price tag, he's played great the last 1 1/2 seasons shocked he isn't getting more notice.

Lastly, I liked the Minny/Lakeshow/Toronto trade, but does Minny want to take on that type of a contract right now, with the likelihood that they'll be paying Roy for not playing? Just think it would be a tough sell.

Nice work everyone.
              i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                My vote is Millsap (or any of the Jazz bigs), J.J. Hickson or Carl Landry. It would be nice to have a PF that plays around the basket, defends and rebounds. Anyone like that sound be acquired. Bargs, Anderson, Fields and Klieza can all go.
                Agreed. I like those 3 names, although I would love to have Milsap over anyone else.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Just in terms of minor deals I wouldn't be opposed to something like this

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b6r68wh

I think at this point maybe someone like Ekpe might b worth seeing as a backup big, with Dalembert clearly being an expiring contract

I have no idea if Milwaukee would do a deal like this for a floor spacer like Bargnani and some depth at the wing like Anderson

Comment

Scola.

If PHO goes after Josh Smith as reported, Scola is pushed back -
                    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I really like that trade.. Obviously Rubio/Gasol have a bond which might help Gasol out (he's in a huge funk). Pekovic may leave after this year, but I'm actually okay with that.
                      This could perhaps be a more likely one, allowing Minnesota to keep Pekovic

ESPN Trade Machine: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aaazpgz

Lakers
                      - Bargnani is a floor-spreading PF, who fits better than Gasol
                      - Williams is a talented young tweener, with a game similar to Odom during his Laker years (another floor-spreading forward), who could be let go after next season (team option for '14-15)
                      - Amundson is required for Minnesota to balance salaries; expiring contract will likely just get waived
                      - get a 1st round pick from Minnesota
                      - save roughly $4M this season (pro-rated) and next season

Minnesota
                      - get Gasol, who they covet, to team with Love & Rubio
                      - get Anderson, who could play at SG for them (they've been playing backup PGs at SG)
                      - dump Williams (they want him gone), Ridnour (4th PG) and Roy (not playing and could retire)
                      - get to keep Pekovic

Toronto
                      - dump Bargnani & Anderson
                      - get Ridnour to be a solid backup PG for a season-and-a-half
                      - hopefully Roy will retire, so his contract will come off the books
                      - might possibly even be able to squeeze a 2nd round pick from Minnesota, if they're lucky
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Can someone please tell me why everyone wants Demar traded NOW that we have Gay, without having to trade our best wing player before the deal? I'm a little shocked at the number of posters wanting to get Derozan out of town. I get the fact for that it is to trade for a guy like Milsap, but if BC can get Rudy Gay for Ed Davis and Calderon WITHOUT Derozan and Ross, he sure as hell can get a deal involving Bargnani + player without that player being Derozan/Ross.

Some posters calling him a waste of cap space? C'mon now, he's arguably having his best season as a pro, only 23 years old too. Him and Rudy Gay can really do well if they co-exist, which is likely because Derozan isn't an ego unlike many of the other scorers in the league.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          Can someone please tell me why everyone wants Demar traded NOW that we have Gay
                          Gay does a better version of everything DeMar does. Duplication is not effective in terms of running an offense.

Ross as a great 1 on 1 defender and excellent three point shooter gives a different look and he has to be respected.

It's not about disliking DeRozan but unless he pulls something else out of the tickle trunk he is redundant.

Having said all that I love the man and his work ethic.
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Can someone please tell me why everyone wants Demar traded NOW that we have Gay, without having to trade our best wing player before the deal? I'm a little shocked at the number of posters wanting to get Derozan out of town. I get the fact for that it is to trade for a guy like Milsap, but if BC can get Rudy Gay for Ed Davis and Calderon WITHOUT Derozan and Ross, he sure as hell can get a deal involving Bargnani + player without that player being Derozan/Ross.

Some posters calling him a waste of cap space? C'mon now, he's arguably having his best season as a pro, only 23 years old too. Him and Rudy Gay can really do well if they co-exist, which is likely because Derozan isn't an ego unlike many of the other scorers in the league.
                            I totally agree with you on that one. Let's first see what they will be doing together. I would not be happy if the Raptors traded DeRozan before the trade deadline seriously. As you said I'm sure we can get another quality player without giving any of our core players except Bargnani. Maybe we'll need to add Anderson but if it is to give us back a legit starting power forward I'm all for it. But not at the expense of DeMar.

In the summer I don't say, but as for now, I surely don't want him gone.

Comment

I am among those posters now calling for DeRozan to be traded, for several reasons:

1. The skills that Gay & DeRozan bring to the table are redundant, with neither of them being excellent 3pt shooters or lock-down perimeter defenders. Ross already seems to fit better with Gay than DeRozan does, and he will only continue to improve. Even Fields provides better perimiter defense than DeRozan and doesn't need to get nearly as many shots as DeRozan would demand (Gay and Lowry are top 2 scoring options, and a legit starting PF would become #3, which would push DeRozan to 4th option on offense and playing off the ball is not a strength of his).

2. This team needs a backup PG (which Bargnani can hopefully return in trade) and a starting PF (so Amir can be backup PF). DeRozan would seem a likely candidate (age, salary, skill, potential) to be traded for this starting PF - Millsap is just one option mentioned, since he's an expiring contract, Utah is loaded at C/PF positions and is desperately in need of wing help. You need to giveup talent to get talent, so I'd much prefer an equal young talent to DeRozan at the PF position (trade from a position of strength to address a position of weakness).

3. Way too much money tied-up in wings. Gay was acquired to be starting SF and cornerstone of the future. Ross is "untouchable", should become better than DeRozan (if he isn't already), fits better with Gay and is much cheaper than DeRozan. Fields is likely untradeable, due to his salary, down year and injury, plus he's a good glue guy and defender (good balance to a wing rotation of Gay & Ross). If Gay & Ross are the future starters, it makes no sense to pay a backup (DeRozan) $9.5M per season over the next 3 years, especially when it could be much more effectively used to pay a legit starting PF.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I am among those posters now calling for DeRozan to be traded, for several reasons:

1. The skills that Gay & DeRozan bring to the table are redundant, with neither of them being excellent 3pt shooters or lock-down perimeter defenders. Ross already seems to fit better with Gay than DeRozan does, and he will only continue to improve. Even Fields provides better perimiter defense than DeRozan and doesn't need to get nearly as many shots as DeRozan would demand (Gay and Lowry are top 2 scoring options, and a legit starting PF would become #3, which would push DeRozan to 4th option on offense and playing off the ball is not a strength of his).

2. This team needs a backup PG (which Bargnani can hopefully return in trade) and a starting PF (so Amir can be backup PF). DeRozan would seem a likely candidate (age, salary, skill, potential) to be traded for this starting PF - Millsap is just one option mentioned, since he's an expiring contract, Utah is loaded at C/PF positions and is desperately in need of wing help. You need to giveup talent to get talent, so I'd much prefer an equal young talent to DeRozan at the PF position (trade from a position of strength to address a position of weakness).

3. Way too much money tied-up in wings. Gay was acquired to be starting SF and cornerstone of the future. Ross is "untouchable", should become better than DeRozan (if he isn't already), fits better with Gay and is much cheaper than DeRozan. Fields is likely untradeable, due to his salary, down year and injury, plus he's a good glue guy and defender (good balance to a wing rotation of Gay & Ross). If Gay & Ross are the future starters, it makes no sense to pay a backup (DeRozan) $9.5M per season over the next 3 years, especially when it could be much more effectively used to pay a legit starting PF.
                                I don't believe in the "They're the same guy, they won't do much." Demar Derozan is a slasher, Rudy Gay is a shot creator. I'm not willing to trade Derozan because first, he's shown tons of improvement to get to where he is now. Second, Gay is going to be planned for by the opposition, and I'd rather not have the point guard be the second option of the offense REGARDLESS of who it is - Westbrook in OKC is a great example - and Derozan is going to be a guy that takes pressure off of Gay. Allow the two guys to play off one another. I just want to see a sample size where both their similar styles of play just can't co-exist. Quite frankly, I don't see it being hard too. Derozan isn't an ego, and we all have to remember that. He's going to play within' the system, Derozan doesn't break plays, and I think with the situation now, it's better his scoring opportunities come off the open court , and from plays ran for him in the low post, off screens, etc.
                                If Gay is getting attention, get Derozan and Gay involved in a two man game. Gay getting doubled? Send the ball to the open guy, or allow Derozan to be the second option. If both are playing well, pick your poison. Just my opinion on why keeping Derozan is key. Having a good perimeter team and a great point guard is almost a daily need for a team to be successful in the league now.

I know about having to give up talent, to acquire talent. But Colangelo was able to acquire Rudy Gay for Ed Davis, and Jose Calderon. As much as Toronto, and us fans love those two guys to death, they aren't star potential players. They aren't going to be guys that take teams to another level. Rudy Gay is that guy. I really do believe if BC can acquire Rudy Gay without having to send Ross/JV/Derozan/Johnson out, I'm confident he can do the same to acquire a guy a team is desperately trying to move.
                                What if we do acquire Millsap for Derozan + Bargnani? Sure, we clear up around 8$ million (this is assuming trade is made with other players/teams to make salaries match), but, Millsap walks out the door, and we are at free agency. Like many have said, we aren't a free agency destination at this point. After this season, we've rented an answer to our short-term problems, but not long term. Not to mention Lowry next year is set for an extension, likely near or less than Demar is making now.

Addressing the last two points, I believe a Bargnani/Anderson/Pietrus/Kleiza trade can make something to address bringing in another PF, and a PG. Similar to the trade with the Lakers, except the pieces we send are different. We do have quite a bit of money in our wings, but when you have a very solid, young, high potential rotation between Gay/Derozan/Ross/Fields, there's necessarily no need to go hunting for a wing player, UNLESS the RIGHT deal comes and we are able to net a player who is better. Aaron Afflalo isn't a guy I would enjoy getting, only because Derozan has taken this guy to school this season. Afflalo has almost been a non-factor against the Raptors despite having a 20 point game. A guy like Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Danny Granger, Iman Shumpert, Danilo Gallinari... Those are names I would possibly take over Derozan.

Comment

Working...
                                X