Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    This is (exactly) why I don't agree with the bashing Lebron has received for passing the ball in end of game situations; he tends to get someone a higher percentage shot than he has himself while he does all the creating.
    But bottomline is, the ball is in his hands, right? The ball is in the hands of the team's best player right? The coach put the ball in his hands, right?

Its his decision to pass or not. If he had a clear shot at the rim, 10 out of 10 times he wouldve taken it right?

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      But bottomline is, the ball is in his hands, right? The ball is in the hands of the team's best player right? The coach put the ball in his hands, right?

Its his decision to pass or not. If he had a clear shot at the rim, 10 out of 10 times he wouldve taken it right?
      This year yes, but before this year, if he had the same shot as some of the other guys on his team, I'd say someone else should take it as his shooting percentages weren't that great. Still want to ball in his hands to create (of course).

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        This year yes, but before this year, if he had the same shot as some of the other guys on his team, I'd say someone else should take it as his shooting percentages weren't that great. Still want to ball in his hands to create (of course).
        Oh I agree too, 100%. But again, bottomline is, youd still want the ball in his hands.

Comment

• Rudy Gay can consistently get a shot off that he's comfortable taking and that's something we haven't had in a long time. Our late game shot making has been HORRIBLE because defense clamp down and no one on our roster could get a glimpse of the basket under that kinda duress. Rudy isn't a great shooter by the percentages but he at least we can put it in his hands and know that his size, length and ball skills will ensure that he can get a decent look at the basket.

I mean no one 'likes' that the dudes percentages have been pretty bad but at this point we gotta realize that it's going to improve and be happy that in the meantime he's still bringing things to the table that are equating to Ws.
          read my intelligent tweets

Comment

• ryley_b wrote: View Post
            Rudy Gay can consistently get a shot off that he's comfortable taking and that's something we haven't had in a long time. Our late game shot making has been HORRIBLE because defense clamp down and no one on our roster could get a glimpse of the basket under that kinda duress. Rudy isn't a great shooter by the percentages but he at least we can put it in his hands and know that his size, length and ball skills will ensure that he can get a decent look at the basket.

I mean no one 'likes' that the dudes percentages have been pretty bad but at this point we gotta realize that it's going to improve and be happy that in the meantime he's still bringing things to the table that are equating to Ws.
            I think it will improve. Of course he needs to get adjusted to the idea that he is the #1 option now, but at the same time, he cant be throwing the ball to the hoop everytime he wants to. I think his teammates need to adjust to, they seems to be all going on the weak side everytime Gay gets the ball and waiting for him to shoot.

Comment

• @ TGiRU:

1. I didn't say you said clutch only pertains to the last shot. But in the traditional sense, that's what it is. And from that point of view, I didn't mean to harp only on Gay. It's overrated in general. But on Gay specifically, he's 2-for-2 or something. That's obviously unsustainable. I would be surprised if he even hit half of those by the time it was all said and done. And that applies to every single superstar; players like Kobe and Melo don't even hit 40%. Why? Because they take ridiculously tough ones.

2. Yes, confirmation bias. Maybe not you specifically, but once a player gets branded as clutch, it's like only the makes get remembered. A lot of it is because of the media. Game winners get replayed over and over usually; nobody makes highlight reels of misses. Once your narrative gets set by the media, it's really hard to shake.

3. I never said anything about a superstar going iso. I specifically said great play call leading to an open shot from a superstar. Like ball movement. That thing every coach loves from minutes 1 to 45. In the pecking order of things, it goes open shot from a superstar > open shot from anybody else > hero ball attempt by a superstar.

re: Raptors being .500 in close games, sure. Yes, they'd be right there in the playoff hunt in the East. And? I never said they were terrible and couldn't make the playoffs.

I really think the entire argument is getting really obscured because different meanings of "clutch" are being interchanged freely everywhere, haha. For the record, I think clutch does exist - but not at all in the traditional sense. There is definitely merit to players being calm under pressure, but there is no magic ability to hit shots late in close games. Of course you want to put the ball in the hands of your best players, but you should be doing that right from tipoff. The goal is always to get a good shot, no matter who it's coming from. When LeBron got nailed for passing it to a wide open Donyell Marshall who missed a three, that's dumb. Jordan hits Kerr who makes the three and everyone praises him for trusting his teammates. When Kobe rises up over two defenders and hits a fadeaway, that's still a terrible shot and there was almost definitely a better shot at that moment in time. Everything is so results oriented and that's a terrible way to analyze anything.

Comment

• Is it too much to expect Gay to do those other shit but not take 10-15 terrible shots a game while shooting 35%?

Comment

• Gay shot 42% tonight. I'm not angry though, because he hit that big 3 to really seal the game, and some other buckets down the stretch. Also, during the 2nd, he became very aggressive when the team went cold.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Also, I would like to make the point that Rudy Gay plays within the offense. Rarely demands the ball - which might be a good or bad thing - and he takes shots when it comes to him. I like it. Although, whenever the play breaks, he usually is able to do something good.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I think the moral is here even when he is frustrated (like he was tonight) he canstill more often than not make positives happen. Rudy was really irritated tonight and thats no understatement.

Comment

• Hit 3 of 6 three points
                        8 rebounds
                        3 steals
                        took a lot of attention off DeMar
                        WIN

I have no problem with him shooting 10/25 - especially when 3 of those shots were fouls

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Hit 3 of 6 three points
                          8 rebounds
                          3 steals
                          WIN

I have no problem with him shooting 10/25 - especially when 3 of those shots were fouls
                          +1 and love that DeMar is making the most of it when hes on the court even playing well when he isnt on the court, by the time Gay sits and Demar is still playing he has already gotten going and thats Demars issue if he hasnt scored yet he tends to shut down sometimes but with Gay starting along side him he can get his buckets early maintain the offense alongside Gay throughout the game. I liked the feud with that idiot no name rapper Rudy went Reggie Miller on him lol.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Hit 3 of 6 three points
                            8 rebounds
                            3 steals
                            WIN

Yep, this exactly.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Gay has had a tremendously positive impact on Demars game, whether by way of drawing attention, leading by example or starting a competition, or all three I don't know and don't care. Demar has picked up his game since he got his Gay companion.

Lovin' it.

Comment

• Since Gay has joined this team, we play games as if we are supposed to win. I love how we can play terribly and STILL come out on top. We used to have to play near impeccable basketball just to get it close near the 4th!!

If we can win 5 straight with Gay being sub-50% FG, then I cant wait for what we can do when Rudy has an efficient game!
                                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                                X