Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Gay has been poor since he got here but everyone has been ignoring it because we were winning. If it wasn't for others in those games Gay wouldn't even have been in a position to hit that game winner. With the way he's been playing he's utter crap on offense. He is doing the other things but offense has been off since he got here, hell all season.

Rudy Gay 20.2 PT .379 of 20.2 FG .846 of 4.3 FT .275 of 4.4 3P 6.8/1.9 RB 2.6 AS 0.7 BL 2.6 ST 2.4 TO 3.2 PF 38.1 MN 9/8 GS (last 9 games)

38% FG 28% 3pt. It's a joke that anyone is defending his offense. His TS % is in the dumpster too. I really hope he steps it up but so far he is showing why Memphis thought he wasn't worth the salary and got rid of him.
    Sorry, I'm not only talking about offense though. Looking at Durant, Melo, Lebron (not saying Rudy is near those guys), they effect the game in other ways. Durant and Melo rebound the basketball, LeBron does everything. Rudy Gay guards the opposition's best offensive threat, he rebounds. From an all-around play vs. Memphis, he did not play well. Hands on knees defensively, trying to play some hero ball offensively.

Speaking to the offense. Yes, he tried doing everything himself, yes, he took some bad shots, but that usually comes with being the guy. He will take 20+ shots a night. Regardless if he's being efficient or not, teams are going to watch him, teams are going to plan for him, and those shots made/missed will effect the game. He's also got a great attitude. Foul trouble against Denver, and hit a game-winner. Struggled in Indiana, come 4th quarter & overtime, he had 17 points plus his first game-winner as a Raptor.

He's also brought those non-measurable statistics to the team such as leadership, experience, and talent. You can tell the team has confidence and plays better with him. You talk about Gay not being able to perform/hit those game-winners if it wasn't for those guys? If Gay wasn't here, I don't think we could have beaten the Clippers, Pacers, Hornets, Knicks, or Nuggets without him. We wouldn't have been close to Miami - hell, we had a 10 point lead! - and Boston would have KILLED us if we didn't have someone make some big shots down the stretch. By the way, in those losses, he had his season high 29 vs. Miami, and 26 & 12 vs. Boston. In those games, we either didn't have enough, or everyone started relying on him.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Not everyone is Durant and Lebron people dam and behind those guys in the league at SF its Melo then Gay.The team will be that much better when the Raps aquire a capable big down low as the 2/3rd option in the starting line up and thats no knock towards amir gotta say I've become a fan of his this season.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Sorry, I'm not only talking about offense though. Looking at Durant, Melo, Lebron (not saying Rudy is near those guys), they effect the game in other ways. Durant and Melo rebound the basketball, LeBron does everything. Rudy Gay guards the opposition's best offensive threat, he rebounds. From an all-around play vs. Memphis, he did not play well. Hands on knees defensively, trying to play some hero ball offensively.

Speaking to the offense. Yes, he tried doing everything himself, yes, he took some bad shots, but that usually comes with being the guy. He will take 20+ shots a night. Regardless if he's being efficient or not, teams are going to watch him, teams are going to plan for him, and those shots made/missed will effect the game. He's also got a great attitude. Foul trouble against Denver, and hit a game-winner. Struggled in Indiana, come 4th quarter & overtime, he had 17 points plus his first game-winner as a Raptor.

He's also brought those non-measurable statistics to the team such as leadership, experience, and talent. You can tell the team has confidence and plays better with him. You talk about Gay not being able to perform/hit those game-winners if it wasn't for those guys? If Gay wasn't here, I don't think we could have beaten the Clippers, Pacers, Hornets, Knicks, or Nuggets without him. We wouldn't have been close to Miami - hell, we had a 10 point lead! - and Boston would have KILLED us if we didn't have someone make some big shots down the stretch. By the way, in those losses, he had his season high 29 vs. Miami, and 26 & 12 vs. Boston. In those games, we either didn't have enough, or everyone started relying on him.
        AA is pretty much the same way, why do people constantly rag on him taking shots and shooting inefficiently (even though he's usually taking great shots even if he misses (unlike Gay)) when he's does everything else that Gay does except being like 1700x cheaper?

AA is arguably the best wing defender on this team.

Comment

AA is pretty much the same way, why do people constantly rag on him taking shots and shooting inefficiently (even though he's usually taking great shots even if he misses (unlike Gay)) when he's does everything else that Gay does except being like 1700x cheaper?

Your Gay disdain is on par with mine for Bargnani, and if not just a small notch lower.

Comment

• I hope Gay shuts everyone up and goes for 40 tonight

Comment

Because Gay is 1700x better than Anderson at doing these very things. AA is a better wing defender than Rudy, but other than that, I don't think there is anything else he's got on him.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I do agree with you that AA is arguably the best wing defender on the team. I am not sure he is but there is no one that is clearly better than he is.

Gay is much, much better offensive player than AA but as Gay is overpaid by 3 to 5 million a year in my opinion, only time will tell what was the net effect of acquiring him. I am happy we're more competitive and will very likely make the playoffs next year but my fear is we will not be able to aspire to higher than a second round exit until the salaries are more inline with the reality of the new CBA. I am OK with that because I don't think having a realistic chance at winning it all should be the primary goal.

Comment

• Gay has been shooting a low percentage and has chucked up a lot of bricks, especially from deep. Since he got here I've noticed he tends to start off slow - missing a lot of shots in the first half - but when the second half comes, it's game time and the man shows up. And wins us games. I'm not worried.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                    Not everyone is Durant and Lebron people dam and behind those guys in the league at SF its Melo then Gay.The team will be that much better when the Raps aquire a capable big down low as the 2/3rd option in the starting line up and thats no knock towards amir gotta say I've become a fan of his this season.
                    I actually think both Gay and Fields are better defenders than Anderson. Anderson doesn't have nearly the defensive BB-IQ that they have; he often makes poor decisions on switches and picks, allowing his man to get open looks far more often than Gay or Fields.

Comment

• I used to think Gay was just a tad bit overhyped too considering his percentages and amount of forced shots he puts up but after some discussions with fellow rap fans Ive come to see that we need a Rudy type player flaws and all. We need him to be that confident 'Im gonna get my points' type guy. He's definitely got the talent to be that and this team definitely needs a guy who's not afriad to put the team on his back and attack

Comment

• While Gays low shooting percentage is unquestionable, so is his talent and most importantly his PRESENCE. It should be puzzling to one to know that while it's a fact that his shooting percentage is low, it's also a fact that the team has a winning record since he arrived. This I think is due to the awareness his very PRESENCE creates in the opposition. While Bosh was a good player who commanded respect of players around the league, the only other Raptor who had such a PRESENCE was Vince Carter. Teams taking nothing for granted because of Gay. The record shows why.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Rudy Gay has that James Johnson presence on the defensive end + higher defensive IQ. Although I thought James Johnson blows him out of the water in rim protection. Rudy plays passing lanes well, he uses every inch of his lanky frame to contest & he rebounds well in traffic.

I think the percentages will constantly hover around 40% and that's fine by me because he is a volume shooter but he has shown the ability to compensate for that with his defense. Since his arrival, more than anything, I think it's our defense that has tremendously improved.
                          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                            Rudy Gay has that James Johnson presence on the defensive end + higher defensive IQ. Although I thought James Johnson blows him out of the water in rim protection. Rudy plays passing lanes well, he uses every inch of his lanky frame to contest & he rebounds well in traffic.

I think the percentages will constantly hover around 40% and that's fine by me because he is a volume shooter but he has shown the ability to compensate for that with his defense. Since his arrival, more than anything, I think it's our defense that has tremendously improved.
                            No Calderon, Less Bargnani and more Kyle Lowry with the addition of Gay is why our D is that much better.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              No Calderon, Less Bargnani and more Kyle Lowry with the addition of Gay is why our D is that much better.
                              No props to Amir for becoming our defensive anchor?
                              How about Demars defense, he is closing out much better.
                              And Val is noticeably getting burned less!

I think our defensive improvement is a team mentality that I infact credit coach Casey for being able to utilize Amir, Demar, and Val on D.

Remember when Amir would get 3 fouls by the start of the 2nd quarter? Now he is playing D without fouling!
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                No props to Amir for becoming our defensive anchor?
                                How about Demars defense, he is closing out much better.
                                And Val is noticeably getting burned less!

I think our defensive improvement is a team mentality that I infact credit coach Casey for being able to utilize Amir, Demar, and Val on D.

Remember when Amir would get 3 fouls by the start of the 2nd quarter? Now he is playing D without fouling!
                                +1 there's lots of reasons but the no Calderon and less Bargnani are the major factos I think anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X