• Show
Clear All

I think he can be.... no doubt.

but still think he is best suited as third big"

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I think he can be.... no doubt.

but still think he is best suited as third big"
      I think Bargnani is better suited as a 3rd big behind Amir and Valanciunas ... scoring off the bench.

Comment

Im glad to see he is really living up to that contract everyone was complaining about
        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Trade Primo Pasta for a backup PG and keep Amir starting at the PF for the rest of the season. I'd be fine with that with the way he's been playing.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Man Amir erased a 4 point deficit in 10 seconds. Rebound, putback, steal, rebound, putback. What a great sequence to tie the game.

Comment

If bargs is on the team than I want him to come off the bench and keep amir as the starter. If bargs goes ideally you want to bring in a PF who is better than Johnson and have amir come in off the bench. An effective Bargnani long term (which i still don't think is very likely) works well coming off the bench and can even play some crunch time when you need scorers.

Amir keeps improving and I think can be an average/slightly above average starter, but I think he's probably in the top 5 of pf/c coming off the bench, which is valuable as well.

Is bargnani playing well enough to trade to the jazz for milsap?
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

JV/Amir, is a very good combo, and they should continue to develop with each other.

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
                  I think Bargnani is better suited as a 3rd big behind Amir and Valanciunas ... scoring off the bench.
                  I..... agree. As much as I want Bargnani gone. Last night, I really liked what I saw from Bargs as a backup. And he told Matt Devlin that he would accept coming off the bench. Stoudemire did not start a game this year for the Knicks. Why would not Andrea be able to do it?

If we could bring in a third PF/C who can rebound and defend (Amundson/McRoberts type player), I think I would be fine with having such a talented 7 foot forward coming off the bench. Let's forget his salary, let's forget he's a first pick. He's still a really, really good player, like him or not. If I had to choose between keeping him or Kleiza as a backup, you know who I'd choose.

Valanciunas/Gray/Haddadi
                  Johnson/Bargnani/?????/Acy
                  Gay/Fields/Zubcic
                  DeRozan/Ross
                  Lowry/?????/Lucas

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
                    +1. Bargnani actually brings A LOT of energy onto the floor recently.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                      I..... agree. As much as I want Bargnani gone. Last night, I really liked what I saw from Bargs as a backup. And he told Matt Devlin that he would accept coming off the bench. Stoudemire did not start a game this year for the Knicks. Why would not Andrea be able to do it?

If we could bring in a third PF/C who can rebound and defend (Amundson/McRoberts type player), I think I would be fine with having such a talented 7 foot forward coming off the bench. Let's forget his salary, let's forget he's a first pick. He's still a really, really good player, like him or not. If I had to choose between keeping him or Kleiza as a backup, you know who I'd choose.

Valanciunas/Gray/Haddadi
                      Johnson/Bargnani/?????/Acy
                      Gay/Fields/Zubcic
                      DeRozan/Ross
                      Lowry/?????/Lucas
                      Actually, if Bargnani ends up staying, you won't need to go out and find the prospect big. Rotation between the main bigs (Valanciunas, Amir) sitting for the bench guys (Gray, Bargnani) and your prospect big (Acy).

Point guard is a must though, and that's when you go out and deal Anderson/Kleiza + 2nd Round Picks.

Comment

• This fan base is so fickle. If Bargnani has one or two more decent games, all the people who called for his head will now be his biggest supporters. The new whipping boy will be Kyle Lowry. This process just repeats itself over and over. Of course I'm not immune to this love-hate cycle, its just funny is all.

As far as Amir being a starter, I have no problem with this. What I do have a problem with is Amir being the best big on the team. Amir is your classic hustle guy, and I love his mobility and versatility in a three big rotation, but if this team wants to do more than just make the playoffs, Amir cannot be the best big we've got.

I'm not huge on the Gasol trade because I see him as a center at this point in his career (too slow to play PF). To me, most of LA's defensive deficiencies could be alleviated by moving everyone "up" one position (ie Gasol - C, World Peace - PF, Bryant - SF). It's been obvious that LA is too slow to guard effectively since they were run off the floor in the playoffs by Dallas two years ago. Why do you think LA's most effective rotations always had Odom at the 4 rather than Gasol? But anyways, I don't like the Gasol move because assuming we ship out Bargnani for him, this leaves only one player (Amir) to play the four.

Comment

• pcrombeen wrote: View Post
                          This fan base is so fickle. If Bargnani has one or two more decent games, all the people who called for his head will now be his biggest supporters. The new whipping boy will be Kyle Lowry. This process just repeats itself over and over. Of course I'm not immune to this love-hate cycle, its just funny is all.

As far as Amir being a starter, I have no problem with this. What I do have a problem with is Amir being the best big on the team. Amir is your classic hustle guy, and I love his mobility and versatility in a three big rotation, but if this team wants to do more than just make the playoffs, Amir cannot be the best big we've got.

I'm not huge on the Gasol trade because I see him as a center at this point in his career (too slow to play PF). To me, most of LA's defensive deficiencies could be alleviated by moving everyone "up" one position (ie Gasol - C, World Peace - PF, Bryant - SF). It's been obvious that LA is too slow to guard effectively since they were run off the floor in the playoffs by Dallas two years ago. Why do you think LA's most effective rotations always had Odom at the 4 rather than Gasol? But anyways, I don't like the Gasol move because assuming we ship out Bargnani for him, this leaves only one player (Amir) to play the four.
                          I clearly don't see why he shouldn't be. Defensively, just as good as some of the best defensive bigs in the game. A true defensive anchor, terrific rebounder, and a solid offensive contributor. Every team needs that big man who controls the grind-it-out parts of the game, and Amir does that.
                          To answer your question about making the playoffs with a high talent big man, that is going to be JV down the road.

Comment

• 13 Games

Yes, it's been an infamous 13+ games that Amir Johnson has been a starter this season.

In 14 games Amir Johnson has averaged

14.8 Points, 10.4 Rebounds, 2.1 Assist, 1.4 Steals, 1.7 Blocks .569 FG .702 FT 3.7 Personal Foul in 36.4 minutes

His obviously more capable of keeping this these numbers than his counter(AB). I still believe that Amir is a starting PF. I think he deserve a chance to be the full starter. I would only be ok with bringing in a new starter at PF, is its a low post player(Boozer). No more stretch 4s. We have way to many perimeter players. We need interior scoring to complement.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• amir johnson is not the right starting PF for us. with having so many pieces that score a lot of points attacking the paint (derozan,gay,lowry) we need a stretch 4 (not bargnani)

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Yes, it's been an infamous 13+ games that Amir Johnson has been a starter this season.

In 14 games Amir Johnson has averaged

14.8 Points, 10.4 Rebounds, 2.1 Assist, 1.4 Steals, 1.7 Blocks .569 FG .702 FT 3.7 Personal Foul in 36.4 minutes

His obviously more capable of keeping this these numbers than his counter(AB). I still believe that Amir is a starting PF. I think he deserve a chance to be the full starter. I would only be ok with bringing in a new starter at PF, is its a low post player(Boozer). No more stretch 4s. We have way to many perimeter players. We need interior scoring to complement.

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                                amir johnson is not the right starting PF for us. with having so many pieces that score a lot of points attacking the paint (derozan,gay,lowry) we need a stretch 4 (not bargnani)
                                I certainly feel as well, that Toronto should acquire a low post threat, but, we only have 1 pure outside shooting wing. Fields is still an if, and I don't know if his shooting will ever return to form. Same goes for Rudy Gay, who's outside shooting is inconsistent, and Derozan still isn't an outside threat. Amir Johnson should be and is a legitimate starting power forward, but having the ability to acquire Ilyasova means giving us outside shooting, youth, rebounding, and a typical PF frame - 6'10, 235 pounds - all for a reasonable deal of 7.9$ million a year for the next 4 years. (Correct if mistaken)

Starting lineup consisting of Lowry, Derozan, Gay, Ilyasova, Valanciunas, with the Lucas, Ross, Fields, Johnson coming off the bench would be huge. Amir's energy and motor is better suited off the bench for this team, especially because Ilyasova also has a fair motor.

Small ball variety is huge too. Ilyasova is a good enough rebounder, big enough body, and athletic enough to play the C position with possibly having Gay at the 4, Derozan/Fields at the 3, Ross/Fields at the 2, and Lowry at the 1.

I wasn't so big on acquiring Ilyasova, until Torch made me turn heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X