Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the trade and why Casey is still NOT the right coach for the Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the trade and why Casey is still NOT the right coach for the Raptors

The Raptors seem to finally be able to pull off a trade just for the sake of doing something to change the current situation. This move came maybe a season too late since 2012-13 season is already done with. (The Raptors would have to win 25 games out of remaining 36 to finish at .500 and potentially make the playoffs - which will be impossible to do). Are there more moves to be made? Sure. I think the moves that are to follow this one are more critical to the Raptors success the next three years.
    First they have to address the Bargnani situation. I suspect that they will have to include another quality player as part of the trade to make it happen. The question is who do they package along with Bargnani to make it happen?
    There are two possibilities here. The first one, which is less likely, is that they package Lowry with Bargnani for another big and maybe a draft pick or a young athletic PG. The second option, which is more likely, is that they package DeRozan for another big and a combo guard with one or two years left on his contract.
    After looking at viable candidates to make a trade before the deadline or during the summer two come to mind. Utah will not be able to resign both Millsap and Jefferson this offseason. I think it makes sense to trade both Bargnani and DeRozan for Mo Williams and Jefferson. If they both re-sign in the summer time, which is very likely, you automatically have a legitimate PF that scores and rebounds at 20/10 per game and a defensive minded combo guard that comes off the bench to help Lowry and Ross.
    I believe that Ross will be a multi-year all-star if he is given the chance to play and grow next year.
    The second team that might be willing to part with a big is NY Knicks. The chemistry with Amare Stoudemire back is not the same as at the beginning of the season. The Knicks might be willing to part with Amar’e and Iman Shubert for Bargnani and Lowry. The second trade is less likely because of Amare’s injury history and also Salary cap implications for the Raptors.

Now I have posted several messages in the past about my thoughts on Casey. I believe he is a great motivator and gets his players to play hard every night. He almost reminds me of a friend that will convince you that you are able to do anything, and you believe him. He just seems like a man without a plan. Just look at the players coming out of timeouts and end of quarter positions. Even Butch Carter made mention of this the other day on FAN590.

What does Butch Carter know?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
      What does Butch Carter know?
      the price of a big mac combo at mcD's LOL or maybe how to end an NBA coaching career LOL

Comment

Only someone with the IQ of a 14 year-old would make comments like this.......

Comment

This is ludicrous. Casey is a fine coach. This is clearly just your opinion. I once again make note that things fans get on Casey for are not exclusive to Toronto, or exclusive to bad coaches. It's not like Miami or Boston never srew up an inbounds play. It's not like the Clippers run a well-oiled machine.

Toronto is coached pretty well. The absolute only thing I was questioning with Casey before were his sub patterns in terms of minutes. He'd get way too attached to lineups for long stretches, and then end up with really weird minute divisions. LIke how many times has Demar, or Jose/Lowry (whoever's playing better that night) been on the bench until there are like 4 minutes left in the half or game...that is downright strange. We'll see now that the trade is done, role definition should be easier with a clear-cut starting PG, and a more reliable wing rotation.

Comment

panagnos wrote: View Post
            really? & your comment was mature?? i was making a joke, your the one with the immature comment..how about u grow up, learn that not everyone agrees with your opinion on DC or Butch then realize that by making stupid comments like your above post just show your level of IQ now go crawl back in your hole!
            Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

"IQ does not develop with age, as it is titled Intelligence Quotient. Originally, IQ was calculated as 100 x (mental age / chronological age), hence why 100 was the "average" score, as your mental age and chronological age are exactly equal."

Source

Comment

Only an ignoramus could forget that an IQ score is corrected for age and therefor independent of the variable.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                  "IQ does not develop with age, as it is titled Intelligence Quotient. Originally, IQ was calculated as 100 x (mental age / chronological age), hence why 100 was the "average" score, as your mental age and chronological age are exactly equal."

Source
                  Beat me to it

Comment

He's not bad but he's no Pop. My beef with his coaching is that he's not necessarily an X's and O's guy. I wish he'd call time outs quicker, a la Pop. Substitution pattern in critical moments are a bit dubious and play calling during crunch time can be iffy (i.e.. late-game inbound plays). One huge plus: great motivator. Great coaches in this game motivates - unless of course you're Pop, Thibs and Jackson. In that case, they'll just chew you out with their death stares.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Aka you?

Comment

If you watched the defense potential in this team, and Casey's want to push the tempo, I certainly think this thread is useless.

He has made some really bad/questionable decisions this year, but his philosophy and his defense-first system is perfect for an athletic, young team.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

This is a two part thread but most people seem to be more interested in the 2nd part and not the first. The trade idea with Utah is not bad but I'd do it for Millsap rather than Jefferson. If Utah agrees to take on all that money, they might want a pick or two added as well.

As far as Casey is concerned, I think he's not bad but I don't mind a change. I think he's better suited to be an assistant coach.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            This is ludicrous. Casey is a fine coach. This is clearly just your opinion. I once again make note that things fans get on Casey for are not exclusive to Toronto, or exclusive to bad coaches. It's not like Miami or Boston never srew up an inbounds play. It's not like the Clippers run a well-oiled machine.

Toronto is coached pretty well. The absolute only thing I was questioning with Casey before were his sub patterns in terms of minutes. He'd get way too attached to lineups for long stretches, and then end up with really weird minute divisions. LIke how many times has Demar, or Jose/Lowry (whoever's playing better that night) been on the bench until there are like 4 minutes left in the half or game...that is downright strange. We'll see now that the trade is done, role definition should be easier with a clear-cut starting PG, and a more reliable wing rotation.
                            Agreed. He's instilled a very solid system and is getting his players to execute night in and night out. Every coach has faults, and Casey's so far this season is minute distribution (which is very fixable, especially with these recent roster changes)

Comment

Well I think what Casey has done with a roster severely lacking in high-end talent is quite impressive. Remember how at the start of the year everyone was praising Dunlap? Well now Charlotte sucks some serious balls. Is that all on Dunlap? of course not.

It's so hard as fans, even if you've been watching ball for 20 years, to really tell how well a coach does, because talent means so much more. With the talent Casey has had, he has done quite well. The team has stayed together. They play the right way when they win, as in they put in solid all-around team efforts on both ends of the court. He has kept the team motivated after a 4-19 start!!! Seriously guys, most any team would've mailed it in. It's really hard to tell with Xs and Os when there isn't enough talent, though. Would Pop, or Doc, or younger guys like Brooks and Spoestra be able to run the same systems as well with the talent the Raps have had the last 2 years??? Clearly not. I wouldn't even be able to confidently say the team would've done better...maybe slightly.

Comment

Working...
                              X