Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was B.C. willing to trade both Calderon and Kyle Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was B.C. willing to trade both Calderon and Kyle Lowry?

4. Eastern Conference

In the days leading up to the Rudy Gay deal, which required Toronto to surrender Jose Calderon, there were rumbles emanating from the league's personnel grapevine suggesting that the Raptors were actually willing to trade both of their point guards -- Calderon and Kyle Lowry -- and not just one or the other.

Don't see that happening now, though.

Lowry has indeed clashed with Raptors coach Dwane Casey, just as he clashed with Kevin McHale in Houston, but there's also no denying that he's more of an all-around talent than the Spaniard and, in what would appear to be a bonus of sorts, ranks as one of Gay's closest friends in the league. If not the closest.

So …

The Raptors can only hope that Gay's arrival brings out more of the good Lowry, especially since Toronto surrendered a quality first-round pick to acquire him from Houston last summer. It wouldn't be hard to trade Lowry when only $1 million of his salary next season is guaranteed, but what sort of value would the Raptors be able to get after Lowry's ups and downs this season? They'd have to get back a point guard good enough to justify the sell-off of the first-rounder to the Rockets.

Calderon's exit, meanwhile, should finally open up more minutes for reserve guard John Lucas, which was one of the Raptors' aims when they signed him away from Chicago last summer. Toronto came into the season convinced that Calderon's expiring contract would help them score a top talent like Gay and targeted Lucas to step into that void when the deal finally materialized.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ruths-deadline

I don't think he was.

Played the whole controversy thing to perfection along with rumours of trading Lowry. Raised Calderon's trade value. I believe Lowry knew the whole time, "Just give us until February 21st."

It was one of the few things Colangelo has done right in recent and long term memory.

Comment

That's what I was hoping but wasn't sure I wanted to give BC that much credit. Was strange thought that Lowry was so relaxed with coming from the bench. Things are starting to look up. And very excited to hear BC say the team is willing to go over the luxury tax for the right player. Also scares me to think that he might be getting the extension he so badly wanted. Time will tell!

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
        That's what I was hoping but wasn't sure I wanted to give BC that much credit. Was strange thought that Lowry was so relaxed with coming from the bench. Things are starting to look up. And very excited to hear BC say the team is willing to go over the luxury tax for the right player. Also scares me to think that he might be getting the extension he so badly wanted. Time will tell!
        I am inclined to drop the #No3rdYearOption but I'm going to wait another couple of weeks first.

Lowry and Gay are only guaranteed to be onboard for next season. Hypothetically if Gasol was acquired, he is only onboard for next season. If things don't work out, everyone - including Colangelo - are gone leaving some promising young players behind.

The Raptors have gone so far down this road, it seems only fitting to continue. The cries (and yes, I know I have literally been crying) for more talent have been answered.

Comment

Im just wondering where was the news about "Lowry hasnt made many friends in his new surroundings and has been getting under his teammates skin" thing came from in his trade proposals....? Cant believe everything you read the media loves to stir the drink.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Im just wondering where was the news about "Lowry hasnt made many friends in his new surroundings and has been getting under his teammates skin" thing came from in his trade proposals....? Cant believe everything you read the media loves to stir the drink.
            Unless it is coming from Bleacher Report or Peter Vescey, most media reports are based on legit sources. I am sure those things were said but I am sure they were said intentionally by Raptor sources. Whether or not true is another matter.

Comment

With Gay in town, it's very likely these two re-sign. Lowry isn't going to be a starting point guard in many other places, and Gay playing with his best friend and another situation where it may be a little difficult to find takers (money, position), I could see these two for a long time. Lowry & Gay don't seem like un-loyal players.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                That's such BS. BC obviously would have traded Lowry if that was the case. If you have an opportunity to trade a head-case, to acquire a good player, it's done. Casey loves the way Lowry is, and plays.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I am inclined to drop the #No3rdYearOption but I'm going to wait another couple of weeks first.

Lowry and Gay are only guaranteed to be onboard for next season. Hypothetically if Gasol was acquired, he is only onboard for next season. If things don't work out, everyone - including Colangelo - are gone leaving some promising young players behind.

The Raptors have gone so far down this road, it seems only fitting to continue. The cries (and yes, I know I have literally been crying) for more talent have been answered.
                I agree with you, and one reason I'm a little worried in terms of letting BC go, is he really set a solid plan RIGHT NOW. Don't re-sign him, and the new GM may be stubborn and hard headed, and go in a different direction.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

if we start delving into the mind of what bc would do, it might not be the rabbit hole we're looking for. all of us could end up crazy and trading our just finished the mortgage houses correct the guys across the street that is 100 years older and ready to fall apart. we could all make some really bad mistakes in our lives that lead to faster mistakes trying to fix the first mistake until we are just below even and put our families through so much bullshit our kids hate us and our wives leave.

Comment

It's possible BC tried to move both Jose and Lowry and it's possible he didn't. A rumour that does not turn into fact turns into an old speculated rumour. If it was true, I'm sure there was a plan regarding the starting PG.

Regarding the supposed rift between Lowry and Casey or his team mates, it's speculation again. Lowry however, strikes me as an unpredictable person. Someone who's hard to understand.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I think he will try and move lowry
                      "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        With Gay in town, it's very likely these two re-sign. Lowry isn't going to be a starting point guard in many other places, and Gay playing with his best friend and another situation where it may be a little difficult to find takers (money, position), I could see these two for a long time. Lowry & Gay don't seem like un-loyal players.
                        Agreed 100%, I expect they'll both stay and evntually lure in more talent.
                        Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

I don't mind trading Lowry. I still don't think he's that good. I'm still waiting to see the all-star you guys keep talking about.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

Working...
                          X