Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does B.C. regret drafting Barg over Gay $9 million later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you can't predict the future and no one can truly predict the future but you have to wonder if he is having a small dose of regret. Especially after the backlash regard Barg. I mean, he is human after all. We all at some point or the other in life ask these sort of questions when things are not going right in our lives!

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
      How is it a pointless thread? The whole question was do you think B.C. Regret not picking Gay over Barg now that he has to shell out millions more to get him?
      I believe it's pointless because the answer is always no. Any GM would never regret such a decision, not in a way that would really be regret. As people have said, hindsight is 20/20, but that doesn't mean you regret decisions you make. By all account BC was ridiculously high on Bargs. It's just as likely that had he drafted Gay, he would've spend the next 6 or 7 years trying to trade for Bargs, even if he wasn't producing as well as hoped, because he can always say he'll do better in a new situation.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Also, where are you getting the 9 million from?? what is that number? Bargs' contract was 5 years 50 million...I'm pretty sure Gay's was something like 5 years 82 million. That's an average of 6.4 million per year difference....where is the 9 million coming from
        Ok you are correct. Exact amount is $6,460,538 difference. Still a lot of money!!!!!

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
          I know you can't predict the future and no one can truly predict the future but you have to wonder if he is having a small dose of regret. Especially after the backlash regard Barg. I mean, he is human after all. We all at some point or the other in life ask these sort of questions when things are not going right in our lives!
          Had he drafted Adam Morrison because he thought his hair was cool, then I could see him regretting his decision. However, there were many solid basketball reasons why Bargnani was drafted 1st overall and it was widely regarded as an acceptable pick. There was no consensus #1 and at the time the picks was rationalized as a good one.

I think regret only comes into play if it's the decision making process that you come to regret, not the unknown future outcome.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Had he drafted Adam Morrison because he thought his hair was cool, then I could see him regretting his decision. However, there were many solid basketball reasons why Bargnani was drafted 1st overall and it was widely regarded as an acceptable pick. There was no consensus #1 and at the time the picks was rationalized as a good one.

I think regret only comes into play if it's the decision making process that you come to regret, not the unknown future outcome.
            When stated so elegantly, how can I argue with you good SIR?

Comment

Difference between Dirk and Bargnani ....

Dirk has a personal coach who keeps him focused at all times, especially during off season.

Bargnani gets fat in the summer enjoying his vacation, probably with beautiful women.
              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Also the numbers don't make any sense, if rudy gay was drafted in Toronto instead of bargs and put up the numbers he did, what are the odds, with toronto's history of having players walk away, that they would have offered him anything less than the maximum amount? Whether Gay was drafted by Toronto, or traded here, there's a good chance he's still making the same amount of money. And for the record there were a lot of other players that were in between bargs and gay.

1 Andrea Bargnani
                2 LaMarcus Aldridge
                3 Adam Morrison
                4 Tyrus Thomas
                5 Shelden Williams
                6 Brandon Roy
                7 Randy Foye G
                8 Rudy Gay F
                9 Patrick O'Bryant
                10 Mouhamed Sene

Gay seemed to be a prospect similar to POB, tons of athleticism and talent, but questionable personality and motor. What if we had taken POB with the number 1 pick? It's a ridiculous question to ask, at the time no one was circulating Gay or POB as a possible number 1 pick.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sure what salary has to do with anything. Who knows what Gay or Bargnani would have been offered had they started their careers out elsewhere? It all depends on positional supply/demand, opportunity as a rookie, etc... lots of factors that need to be considered over the past 7 years, which makes it near impossible to do so realistically.
                  I agree with this. You can't really factor the money. Bargnani, for what he offers today should be considered overpaid, and you can argue the same for Gay when you consider other players signed to maximum contracts.

I think there's probably some regret of having not drafted a player over another but the same can be said for other GMs as well.

Perhaps what's most daunting about Bargnani and the 2006 NBA Draft is when you assess the damage. When you compare how much they've earned to date with what they've accomplished then you realize the impact that Bargnani has made to this franchise, or rather the impact that BC's love affair has cost this team. Here's a look at total money earned and actual contribution (which can be subjective) as a player:

ABargnani - Will have made $49m from the Raptors since day one. Not worth it.
                  LAldridge - $56m and counting, and likely worth every cent.
                  AMorrison - $17m, in and out of NBA. Not too much damage because teams figured out quickly how useless he was.
                  TThomas - $37m and counting. Chicago was lucky to get out from under him.
                  SWilliams - $12m and out of the league, but not too bad because he never stayed on one team longer than a season. Worst hit was Sacramento for $4m.
                  BRoy - $42m from Portland. The last couple years hurt them, but I give him a pass because for 4 years he was VERY good.
                  RFoye - $22m split amongst 4 teams.
                  RGay - $39m over 6 years in Memphis was probably worth every cent. $53m over the next 2.5 years as a Raptor might be different. Hoping for the best.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Lets look at the top 8 picks in the 2006 draft:
                    1 Andrea Bargnani
                    2 LaMarcus Aldridge
                    3 Adam Morrison
                    4 Tyrus Thomas
                    5 Shelden Williams
                    6 Brandon Roy
                    7 Randy Foye
                    8 Rudy Gay

Now let's rank the players based on their career so far:

2 LaMarcus Aldridge
                    8 Rudy Gay
                    6 Brandon Roy (would’ve been ahead of Gay in my opinion if his legs kept up)
                    1 Andrea Bargnani
                    7 Randy Foye
                    4 Tyrus Thomas
                    3 Adam Morrison
                    5 Shelden Williams

Bargs was arguably the most intriguing player in the draft. I’m not happy with him now, but I just wanted to show that we could’ve done a lot worse. Adam Morrison as the 3rd pick, LOL

I know we’re just showcasing him at this point, but I like what I see from him off the bench. (well what I saw from the second unit for the first 3 quarters against the C’s, the 4th was typical of the whole team)
                    Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
                    Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
                    Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

Working...
                    X