Jack Armstrong getting on my nerves lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Armstrong getting on my nerves lately

I never though I would say this, but Jack has been getting on my nerves lately. I am starting to see quite the opportunist in him.

One play Andrea takes an open jumper, misses, and Jack goes on about how that was not the right shot for him to take, next play he takes the exact look makes it, and Jack is on his nuts how that is more of his shot. He is starting to remind me of Don Cherry, always re-enforcing his wisdom with hindsight.

Lately, I have been getting really annoyed with Jack's 2nd guessing of coach Casey. It just seems so slimy and self serving to me. Last game he was going on about how the starters should be getting back on the floor, right in the midst of of a minor struggle. The 2nd unit than impresses, and 5 minutes later jack, remarks how he would of left the 2nd unit in too, just based on how they were playing. (Palm to the hand)

This dude looks at results and coat tails them to make himself look wiser.

I like Casey. I know that people are not used to his sub patterns, the way he divides the grease, I understand the criticisms. However, I feel there is more to coaching than just a pattern that must be blindly followed like a flow chart. Some of it is instinct. Cito Gaston, was getting hammered by baseball purists and tacticians, yet he was able to get results from guys that other coaches could not.

Meanwhile, those of us who like Casey, sit quietly during the times our sub par team beats a top team, we don't shower him with praise for motivating young guys, for keeping the locker room humble, for egos not tripping over each other. While some 18 year old Oakville kid sees a sub that he disagrees with, and labels him a bad coach.

Sorry about the rant, but I am really worried that the fans are going to eventually fire Casey like they did Sam, and hurt my team. Jack is also looking like a slime bucket to me at this point.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:04 PM.

I agreed with a lot of it. But then again, I'm an 18 year old kid from Oakville. So we must both be wrong.

Comment

lol, I grew up in Oakville, so if we are both wrong, it may mean we are right.

Comment

It all comes down to results. If the in-game decisions Casey makes result in wins, his job is safe. Simple as that.

The current roster has enough talent to compete for a playoff spot next year. Let's see how that turns out.

Comment

I don't know, a lot of what you say is true.....but it doesn't annoy me. Because at least he does look at evidence even in hindsight....the amount of just insane, subjective, and homerist commentary you see across the league is ridiculous. And even coaches like Make Fratello make some of the mistakes you say about Jack. I think part of it is just being a coach, and kind of like being a backseat driver. "Oh yeah, you totally should go this way, it'll totally get you there faster because the other way is usually blocked and slow" a quick drive and better choice later "OH well I said it's only better if this way is blocked and it wasn't, so you should've gone this way and it's good you did"....

Comment

Jack Armstrong is a cool guy dont hate him but he flipped like a coin when the Rudy Gay trade went down in that Clippers game he was just trashing Lowry and Gay kept bringing up how ewe need a guard like calderon to start and his leadership was why we won games... Along wth Butch Carter I dont know why anyone really takes his opinion seriously.

Comment

That is what I mean, I have seen him flip on the same telecast. Based on the results we see before us.

I don't mind him pointing stuff out, but its the way he goes about discussing it, as if he is pulling it out of some wisdom sack that only he has. I heard this criticism about him before, but only started noticing it now, that I am a little bit more defensive about Casey.

As for the Coach winning, I agree, that is the way it should be. The problem is that the last person praised after an improbable win, is Casey. Instead the consensus I get from fans, is our team just mysteriously got better, older, wiser on its own and he was lucky not fuck it up in the final minutes.
              Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I also think that though Jack might flip flop, I feel like I can say with full confidence that I have watched instances where he'll say something like what you talk about, like, "I don't know why the coach isn't getting his starteers back in there", and then it might work, like you say, and Jack will say something like, "it's worked, and you know, I was wrong, and that's why coach is making the big bucks"

Comment

I've disliked Jack Armstrong from the minute I heard that voice on the airwaves.

I remember the first time my girlfriend heard him talk, she said he 'needed to clear his throat or something'...

Between him and Matt, they're a joke.
                  At least with Leo he is consistent with his criticisms and on point with his Praise.
                  Not to mention I'm not sure I've ever heard Leo get on the refs like Matt and Jack do.
                  Every play, "shot, no call", "shot, no call". Give it a rest!!

My only beef with Leo, is he needs to let the whole "Catch the ball instead of swatting it into the seats" mantra, when it comes to blocked shots. Pretty sure he says this after EVERY blocked shot.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    I've disliked Jack Armstrong from the minute I heard that voice on the airwaves.

I remember the first time my girlfriend heard him talk, she said he 'needed to clear his throat or something'...

Between him and Matt, they're a joke.
                    At least with Leo he is consistent with his criticisms and on point with his Praise.
                    Not to mention I'm not sure I've ever heard Leo get on the refs like Matt and Jack do.
                    Every play, "shot, no call", "shot, no call". Give it a rest!!

My only beef with Leo, is he needs to let the whole "Catch the ball instead of swatting it into the seats" mantra, when it comes to blocked shots. Pretty sure he says this after EVERY blocked shot.
                    Ugh, you like Leo???? He's such a spineless twit. He almost always agrees with everything he sees from the officials and coaches. And he always thinks he knows what play the player shoulda made....He was a good college player and a horrible coach. At least Jack, I feel like I can respect his mind. He may flip flop, but Leo almost never even tries to assess the game as it plays out and predict what would be good/bad decisions....he always waits for something to happen and makes the easiest judgment available...

Comment

Not everyone is Bill Russel to catch a blocked shot. Leo irritates me too hes so smug but he does call the game ok. Matt Devlin I dont mind him I dont get the hate for him as much I guess cause people like Swirski and he replaced him.

Comment

Put it this way, I see Leo as a Chris Webber or Reggie Miller like tool when calling a game. I see Jack as having some of the best and worst of both Kenny (sees the game better than Chuck) and Chuck (speaks his mind and not afraid to say what he thinks). And we say he flips flops, but I definitely remember him admitting he has been wrong. I don't think Leo has ever admitted that to anybody in his entire life.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I also think that though Jack might flip flop, I feel like I can say with full confidence that I have watched instances where he'll say something like what you talk about, like, "I don't know why the coach isn't getting his starteers back in there", and then it might work, like you say, and Jack will say something like, "it's worked, and you know, I was wrong, and that's why coach is making the big bucks"
                          I have heard him say that once or twice, I admit. At the same time, there have been a lot more criticisms and flip flops that he never acknowledges.

Now I am not asking him to be super human, and know everything, I just want him to not be so opportunistic about the success and failure on the floor. I also feel the 2nd guessing of Casey by Jack is the worst I have ever seen him 2nd guess a coach. Triano was fielding stink bombs and I never heard him get on his "old boy".
                          Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                            Not everyone is Bill Russel to catch a blocked shot. Leo irritates me too hes so smug but he does call the game ok. Matt Devlin I dont mind him I dont get the hate for him as much I guess cause people like Swirski and he replaced him.
                            Leo used to do it all the time, they called him the "magnet", every block the ball would end up as a LEO possession.

Comment

Didnt Leo want the Raps to sign his son Andy? lol I think it may have been a joke with the guys at TSN but he looked serious so I dont know.

Comment

Working...
                              X