Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post

Yup, It was pretty funny though
    Pfft, people get offended over the stupidest things.
    That's just some good comedy.
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

I like the broadcasters who stick to calling the game without going overboard on criticism of the players and their "colorful" attempts at humor. Jack is considered an authority by the sports talk personalities so maybe that contributes to his insistence on telling us how the game should be played and how so and so has to improve this or that. In moderation he is okay.

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
        Sounded more like good ol' fashion passive aggressive American racism to me. Ignorant American.

Comment

If you are worried about Jack's self interest by making a play for Casey's job, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Jack ain't getting a job in coaching any higher than his kids high school team. Check out his record at Niagara.
          I like Jack. Everyone used to complain that he was too much of a homer. Now he's a flip flopper? C'mon. Have you ever heard the punks that do the Boston games?

Comment

I gave examples, you can replay the broadcasts and see it for yourself. As for Jack making a play for Casey's job, huh what? I don't think that has ever been thought of or even expressed on this or any other forum, not sure how you got from A to B based on the comments here.

The self interest has more to do with making others perceive you as smarter than you really are. So by throwing others under the bus, you look like the wiser. A quality that is not very admirable.
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I don't mind Jack or Matt... I think mostly because I ignore them 90% of the time. I do however, think Jack has a vested interest in the team and wants them to do well. But going by what some of the posters say (on other forums) JackMatt are much better than the other commentators. Jack is quite knowledgeable of the game and he does have his own opinions which I respect, Matt on the other hand... well he's okay. Anyway, I think the only time I actually pay attention to Jack is when he says, "Git that gah-bagge outta herre!"
              #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                Is this an apocalypse? People complaining about Jack (the only person in this shitty Canadian broadcast that doesn't make me want to punch the television 80% of the time), but praising Leo?
                Came to post the same thing! Jack >>> Leo

Comment

RPT23 wrote: View Post
                  Honestly, I don't mind Jack or Matt... I think mostly because I ignore them 90% of the time. I do however, think Jack has a vested interest in the team and wants them to do well. But going by what some of the posters say (on other forums) JackMatt are much better than the other commentators. Jack is quite knowledgeable of the game and he does have his own opinions which I respect, Matt on the other hand... well he's okay. Anyway, I think the only time I actually pay attention to Jack is when he says, "Git that gah-bagge outta herre!"
                  The "hello" during dance pak close ups was pretty funny too, they are not doing it as much this year, guess someone thought it was sexist, or something... or maybe they toned it down on their own.

I think jack is a good commentator and I don't have issues with him being repetitive, just think he is not beyond criticism himself, if he is going to dish it out he needs learn to accept it when fans see through his mirage. What goes around comes around.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    I don't particularily like either Jack or Leo. Of the two, Jack is more of a muppet for entertainment while Leo is more of a shtik-guy that wears thin. I don't find either very insightful or on top of things but if forced to choose I'd keep Leo.

I'd like someone new for next year, or even the odd guest commentator. Charles Oakley would be good for a laugh.

Mugsey Bogues still does stuff with the team (he was with them when they came to Halifax for training camp this year) and he is the type of personable intelligent guy that makes a broadcast work. Him or Doug Christie would be the former Raps that I'd probably bill for first.
                    yes...i like how you are thinking. a former player who has an opinion that can give a better perspective.

As the years go on, I'm starting to think that Jack is hammered when he's on TV. First of all, he looks decrepit. When you see him walking at the ACC, you think he's 75....he's actually 50! No way he doesn't drink heavily..i've never seen anything like it.

Even if i'm speculating and talking out of my A$$, the combination of him and Devlin is what kills me. no one is saying anything important basically the whole game.

At least when Chuck was around, him and Leo used to have petty arguments that were entertaining.

Comment

Leo used to be really bad, back in the day when he was doing the telecast with Sherman Hamilton (i think), maybe it was Jonesy, he used to get into heated arguments and you could cut the tension on air with a knife. He did not laugh at himself as much in his early days and was more of a meat head. Today's Leo is very tame by comparison to his earlier days, still a little loud and proud, but not nearly as bad as in his earlier days.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                        Came to post the same thing! Jack >>> Leo
                        +1

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                          Thornbury wrote: View Post
                          Sounded more like good ol' fashion passive aggressive American racism to me. Ignorant American.
                          I didn't think it was that funny, just 'smirk-funny'. But I totally agree with hotfuzz; it's more a case of pc America than ignorant america if they got suspended for it. Cohen isn't American and I think you could label his whole movie about Borat more racist than this petite remark. I did like the movie btw; not an ignorant american either, but maybe I'm the living prove that you can be ignorant and racist no matter where you come from. Calling them 'ignorant americans' with some implication that this might be 'typical', as lots of people outside of America argue often, is probably more racist (or country-ist). Of course it's totally true, but that's beside the point.

Comment

I don't see the big deal. I'm sure we all watch a game and think what the hell is player X doing in the game, then if he gets hot we want him to get the ball. I personally cringe when Anderson has the ball in crunch time because he can't help himself and channels his inner Jordan even when he is option #4 or #5. But if he's knocking down shots I'll bite my tongue or compliment him. What's the big deal?
                            Deadallus

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                              Leo used to be really bad, back in the day when he was doing the telecast with Sherman Hamilton (i think), maybe it was Jonesy, he used to get into heated arguments and you could cut the tension on air with a knife. He did not laugh at himself as much in his early days and was more of a meat head. Today's Leo is very tame by comparison to his earlier days, still a little loud and proud, but not nearly as bad as in his earlier days.
                              Leo is still terrible. They should stick him and Jones on radio together thus assembling the worst broadcast partnership in the history of sports. Anyone hear Jones call on the De Rozan dunk last night? GOD. AWFUL.
                              Deadallus

Comment

RepRaptorsintheUSA wrote: View Post
                                I always watch every Raptor game. i use NBA league pass in the USA & sometimes get the opposing team broadcast. Really don't care, just wanna see the game. i think we have the worst announcers in the league.

Devlin I can handle....don't forget he did some of the playoff games for TNT last year. That is a job many of announcers would like. I like Swirk better, but Devlin doesn't bother me.

I can't decide if I hate Jack or Leo more. I don't learn anything from any of them. No matter what they say i always feel like saying thank you Captain Obvious. Jack with the "jimmy" & all of his other sayings I don't understand. He is really annoying. Leo might be good if I didn't have eyes. He doesn't provide insight. I guess the only alternative is Jamal Magloire. Just think we can do better.
                                Odd... I also have League Pass and I think that I have ended up listening to most of the other teams' regional broadcasters. My thought is that Matt and Jack rank in the top ten compared to other regional teams. I don't find them to be complete homers. Jack offers meaningful insights on Raptors and other players. Matt comes up with silly stats (Demar's best two-man mid-range in the association!) but at least he does some research on both teams.

I would even go out on a limb and say that Jack is a top five regional colour commentor. I will try to take some notes on the next non-Matt & Jack broadcast to provide some context. I've really rolled my eyes at some comments from the other guys.

I've definately learned to appreciate Matt & Jack a lot more after listening to large variety of other reginoal broadcasts...

Comment

Working...
                                X