No announcement yet.

Jack Armstrong getting on my nerves lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. I see some of the sub patterns and question them too.

However, I think his biggest strength is behind the scenes. That is something fans can never second guess, so we end up with a lot of comments where people are calling him a bad coach because he missed a sub opportunity and I don't think that is fair.

Triano might have had good substitutions but he was no where near the motivator that Casey is. I think Casey is humble enough to know when to be a hard ass and when to back off. I like him a lot and think he can evolve into one of the best coaches in the game, we just need to cut him some slack.

That said, the efforts I have seen from the team comes from Casey, and that is never mentioned. His critics just take for granted that you can make it to OT with ta top team, and then blame him for a bad sub. Not realizing that to get to that point you needed a coach that could work wonders with this roster, which he has.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
      I agree. I see some of the sub patterns and question them too.

However, I think his biggest strength is behind the scenes. That is something fans can never second guess, so we end up with a lot of comments where people are calling him a bad coach because he missed a sub opportunity and I don't think that is fair.

Triano might have had good substitutions but he was no where near the motivator that Casey is. I think Casey is humble enough to know when to be a hard ass and when to back off. I like him a lot and think he can evolve into one of the best coaches in the game, we just need to cut him some slack.

That said, the efforts I have seen from the team comes from Casey, and that is never mentioned. His critics just take for granted that you can make it to OT with ta top team, and then blame him for a bad sub. Not realizing that to get to that point you needed a coach that could work wonders with this roster, which he has.
      I don't think its just the sub patterns tho... I don't think he is much of an X's and O's guy either. His in game coaching really needs to improve from the usage of time-outs to offensive sets and especially in crunch time. I don't feel like we run a disciplined offense when it counts and some of the play calls in crucial moments are head-scratching. When a team consistently fails to inbound the ball i believe that is 100% on the coach. Alotta times it comes down to out-coaching the other coach or team. I do agree with the points you made tho and I think his strengths deserve more credit but I just want to see him become a more well rounded NBA caliber head coach..
      Last edited by Machine; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I want Casey to be more rounded as well.

That said, end game opportunities don't come often, so he needs to learn on the job. With a guy of his motivational qualities, I am more than good with him learning on the job.

...and the good news is that he does learn on the job, originally we wanted to see more val, we got that. Even the X's and O's have been good lately, like anything in life, the more reps you get the better you become. I think Casey is a serious coaching talent, and I am willing to develop him.

I would like to hear Jack give the Case more credit.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
          I want Casey to be more rounded as well.

That said, end game opportunities don't come often, so he needs to learn on the job. With a guy of his motivational qualities, I am more than good with him learning on the job.

...and the good news is that he does learn on the job, originally we wanted to see more val, we got that. Even the X's and O's have been good lately, like anything in life, the more reps you get the better you become. I think Casey is a serious coaching talent, and I am willing to develop him.

I would like to hear Jack give the Case more credit.
          We've heard jack rant about how perfect he is for the raptors and almost go overboard in holding Casey on a pedestal many times.. I think jack is pretty fair and the concerns he brings up during games are valid even if he may be wrong.. Most of the time I find myself agreeing with jack during games but I may be wrong too

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head,

in order for someone to be insulted by another's opinion, it must mean you value the person with the opinion, otherwise its just wind. So this probably stems from my respect of Jack's basketball opinion.

Comment

Oh yeah well I don't like your young hipster looking Donald Sutherland Avatar mocking at me.

Comment

lol, all i know of hipsters is in jpegs, not my era, much older.... donald sutherland was actually relevant back in my day

Comment

I like Jack, hate Leo.

Miami's commentators are THE very best in the league for non-nationally televised games. i.e. TNT, ESPN.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Ya I definitely agree, I like jack but lately he has been sideline coaching waaay too much. This game he kept going on about how Rudy should be in the game even with 4 fouls ..and obviously was wrong cuz Casey needed him for the exact reason he kept him on the bench.

Comment

Jack Armstrong is a hack and so far out of touch with todays NBA. Matt Devlin makes uneducated comments about the most insignificant things regularly. I can't believe the league hires Dev to do games during the playoffs. Worst tandom in the league.

# Bringbacktheswarsk

Comment

I like Devlin, I don't mind Swirsk, but if you thought Devlin was a straight up homer, Chuck is the pure definition of biased.

Devlin and Jack actually express some emotion in their tone for the oppositions' plays. Just my ears though.

Chuck was awesome, made the calls fun, but Devlin is just as intelligent, interacts just as well, and I just prefer his voice over Chuck's.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Is this an apocalypse? People complaining about Jack (the only person in this shitty Canadian broadcast that doesn't make me want to punch the television 80% of the time), but praising Leo?

Comment

I always watch every Raptor game. i use NBA league pass in the USA & sometimes get the opposing team broadcast. Really don't care, just wanna see the game. i think we have the worst announcers in the league.

Devlin I can handle....don't forget he did some of the playoff games for TNT last year. That is a job many of announcers would like. I like Swirk better, but Devlin doesn't bother me.

I can't decide if I hate Jack or Leo more. I don't learn anything from any of them. No matter what they say i always feel like saying thank you Captain Obvious. Jack with the "jimmy" & all of his other sayings I don't understand. He is really annoying. Leo might be good if I didn't have eyes. He doesn't provide insight. I guess the only alternative is Jamal Magloire. Just think we can do better.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                              Is this an apocalypse? People complaining about Jack (the only person in this shitty Canadian broadcast that doesn't make me want to punch the television 80% of the time), but praising Leo?
                              +1 Jack is a beer drinking, TV god compared the rest of the broadcast crew. Jack entertains me during games more so than Leo and frankly thats all Im looking for. I get enough actual insight from blogs, websites and actually watching the games.

Comment

Jack has got bball smarts. Whether you like his approach or not is ones personal choice. I respect him a lot. Matt Devlin, on the other hand annoys the hell out of me, to the extend I watch Raps games online with a visiting team reporting...

Comment

Working...
                                X