Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wouldn't (an an admittedly aging) Ginobili be good for this team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wouldn't (an an admittedly aging) Ginobili be good for this team?

I know a few of you will be waiting out back for me with pitchforks when you read this, but here it goes: We need to trade Manu Ginobili. He has not played well enough this year to merit a new contract, and given his trajectory over the last three seasons, there is no reason to believe he will be able to play with any consistency over the coming years. Manu Ginobili has a $10.7 million expiring contract. We need to use that aggressively.
    http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/...-open-another/

Any takers? What do you guys think it would take to sign Ginobili? I am not personally willing to part with DeMar, but I could let go of Amir, Weems, Rasho, and/or Wright if we got this guy, last legs and all. Problem, would he re-sign with us? What would the Spurs expect in return?

Yes I would, thought about this trade and never posted. The only thing is would the Spurs bait. I was thinking this when Parkers was having his injury woes, thought he is back now their missing a back up for Parker. But Manu is pretty popular over there , so ultimately leads me back to thinking would the Spurs let him go?

Comment

Originally, I thought a possible trade scenario including:

Jose and Antoine

For

Manu

gives Spurs a defense guy they've been missing since Bowen and athe best back up guard IMO at the moment. Not to mention Wright's on an expiring, allowig them to decide to keep him or not after the year.

for Raps we get a guy if still have it in his thank gives us the two that can match up with any in this league.

Comment

I don't see how we get him. He will have many suitors. Somebody will give him a 3 year MLE type deal.

Comment

As I said in my thread here :

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...p?t=923&page=2

Based on my calculation Manu does fit the bil as the type of player the Raptors might go for:

A package like:

Banks
          Evans or Johnson
          Belli or Wright
          draft pick

For Manu will work.

The question is whether Manu will be worth it.

Comment

^Colangelo would make an exception got a guy like Manu, I think. He plays defence, crafty on offence, and plays to the international flavour of the team.

I would move any of our young wings minus DeRozan, and would move Reggie and/or Amir for Manu if we could lock him up for a few years.

He is in the twilight of his career, but he could provide that crafty, savvy veteran presence on the wing I was expected from Hedo. He plays solid defence, and could definitely teach DeRozan a thing or two. And we have a legitimate 6th man of the year contender. I mean, he is simply one of the smartest wing players in the league.

If Spurs would do it, I would.

Comment

He'd be an upgrade over Belinelli and his playoff experience can come in handy. But at 32, are you willing to get older and give up more young talent? I don't know, I think the trades you guys are proposing have the Spurs getting too much.

I also wonder how much of Ginobili's success is due to playing in Popovic's solid system and the help Parker and Duncan attract. We already got burned by Hedo once, do you really want to take another shot in the same direction?

Comment

Good points, will have to come down to how much we'll get from Ginibolli with his age catching up, plus other factors.

Plus we do have a good chemistry going at the moment, hard to be a buyer unless there is a real attractive player (yet to be determined) is in talks.

As I recall Mike Miller was brought up, that would be a intriguing piece though I doubt Wizard will bite with their reliance with his play these days. I still like Caron, but have certain doubts..

Comment

T.L. wrote: View Post
                  Good points, will have to come down to how much we'll get from Ginibolli with his age catching up, plus other factors.

Plus we do have a good chemistry going at the moment, hard to be a buyer unless there is a real attractive player (yet to be determined) is in talks.

As I recall Mike Miller was brought up, that would be a intriguing piece though I doubt Wizard will bite with their reliance with his play these days. I still like Caron, but have certain doubts..
                  I brought up Mike Miller a few times over the last couple weeks. I think his defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and even though we have some depth with Weems and Belinelli, I think Miller can provide the consistent outside shooting and scoring that Belinelli is hit and miss with. It depends on what we'll be giving up and I definitely wouldn't trade Jose for him, not with the way he's playing off the bench.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                    I brought up Mike Miller a few times over the last couple weeks. I think his defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and even though we have some depth with Weems and Belinelli, I think Miller can provide the consistent outside shooting and scoring that Belinelli is hit and miss with. It depends on what we'll be giving up and I definitely wouldn't trade Jose for him, not with the way he's playing off the bench.
                    Well this trade would work under the trade machine:

Mike Miller

for

Bellineli
                    A.Johnson
                    Rasho
                    POB or cash ($800,000)
                    a second round pick.

Too Much?!

They might want Sonny Weems instead of POB but then it won't be worth it.

Comment

No

No.

Staying as young as we are is an asset in the east, and our deep bench will develop.

Manu is great but not 4 more seasons great, which is the length our core is locked up.

Comment

Nice to see this thread about MG hijacked so quickly.
                        Old, often injured, and failing players need not apply.
                        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Well, needless to say, I think adding Ginobili as our 6th man makes us far more deadly in the next 1-3 years than having Weems or Belinelli on the wing in that role. We could still go after him in free agency.

To me, there is just no comparison to him and Turk, if that is what you were referring to brothersteve. We would have a mix of youth and veteran savvy on the team, and Ginobili is that aggressive smart player we need. But, that is my opinion. And in no way would I see it stunting DeMar's growth. I might be a little concerned how Turk and he get along, but not too concerned.

Comment

What does it take to acquire Ginoboli?

Paid up health insurance and a pair of crutches!

You can't actually give up any players.
                            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                            X