Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible NBA All Star Weekend 2016 in Toronto?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible NBA All Star Weekend 2016 in Toronto?!?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...urces_say.html

Apparently, the MLSE have begun the process of submitting an official bid to host the 2016 all-star game to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the franchise. They can't do 2014 since it's in New Orleans and they can't do 2015 since it's probably gonna be in Brooklyn or New York. I would love it if it was here! Toronto has an amazing crowd and NBA fans that would be so utterly hyped for such an amazing event! Hell, I might have to save up some money and buy some tickets if it does happen

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...urces_say.html

Apparently, the MLSE have begun the process of submitting an official bid to host the 2016 all-star game to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the franchise. They can't do 2014 since it's in New Orleans and they can't do 2015 since it's probably gonna be in Brooklyn or New York. I would love it if it was here! Toronto has an amazing crowd and NBA fans that would be so utterly hyped for such an amazing event! Hell, I might have to save up some money and buy some tickets if it does happen
    My understanding is the issue has always been a lack of convention centre space in and around the ACC as well as hotels. There is much more to all-star weekend than just the in arena games and contests.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      My understanding is the issue has always been a lack of convention centre space in and around the ACC as well as hotels. There is much more to all-star weekend than just the in arena games and contests.
      I'm sure it would be fine
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        I'm sure it would be fine
        I'm just rehashing/paraphrasing Doug Smith's explanation as to why there has never been an ASG in TO. There was a time when I read his blog daily.... that time has since passed.

Comment

Wouldn't hurt the city to get the exposure, but the number of actual fans who would be getting tickets after all the players and their posses, their families, the team's employees and support staff, the journalists, the media support people, the corporate box holders, the sponsors, the entertainers and their entourages etc., etc., there will probably be 34 tickets left for fans. So look forward to staying at home and watching on the tube.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            Wouldn't hurt the city to get the exposure, but the number of actual fans who would be getting tickets after all the players and their posses, their families, the team's employees and support staff, the journalists, the media support people, the corporate box holders, the sponsors, the entertainers and their entourages etc., etc., there will probably be 34 tickets left for fans. So look forward to staying at home and watching on the tube.
            Those 34 tickets would go to season seat holders too.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              There are TONS of hotels and convention space is in abundance around the ACC especially with the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (North and South buildings) which are connected to the ACC via SKYWAY and the Rogers Centre as well. Plus you have function space with Royal York.

Comment

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

Air Canada Centre has undergone some renos/expansion in recent years and building of Maple Leaf Square also makes hosting event more viable

Comment

If it happens, please don't allow Ne-Yo in Canada.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    If it happens, please don't allow Ne-Yo in Canada.
                    Or Nick Cannon.

Comment

I don't see it happening any time soon.

There are a few NBA players and family members/friends with criminal record that would be rejected at the border.

Comment

How do they do when they have to play in Toronto then ?

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          I don't see it happening any time soon.

There are a few NBA players and family members/friends with criminal record that would be rejected at the border.
                          What players are not permitted in to Canada to play the Raptors? I have never hear of it being an issue. Every team comes through Canada at least once during a non-lockout season. I don't see why it would be any different for the all-star game.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                            Or Nick Cannon.
                            +1...seriously

Comment

ThePuffyTaco wrote: View Post
                              There are TONS of hotels and convention space is in abundance around the ACC especially with the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (North and South buildings) which are connected to the ACC via SKYWAY and the Rogers Centre as well. Plus you have function space with Royal York.
                              Yup. And 5-star hotels. Thats the biggest change in TO over the last few years. What used to be one option (a dated Four Seasons in Yorkville) is now a brand new four seasons, the Trump, the Shang Ri La and the Ritz. Thats a HUGE difference in the last 3 years in terms of hosting these type of events.

Throw in the subway to the airport, which will be done by 2016 and TO is totally ready from an infrastructure perspective ..

Comment

Working...
                              X