Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible NBA All Star Weekend 2016 in Toronto?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mountio wrote: View Post
    Yup. And 5-star hotels. Thats the biggest change in TO over the last few years. What used to be one option (a dated Four Seasons in Yorkville) is now a brand new four seasons, the Trump, the Shang Ri La and the Ritz. Thats a HUGE difference in the last 3 years in terms of hosting these type of events.

Throw in the subway to the airport, which will be done by 2016 and TO is totally ready from an infrastructure perspective ..

Wow... I didn't know that. That is huge. I hate flying in to Toronto and getting the $50 cab ride to the hotel.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
      http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...urces_say.html

Apparently, the MLSE have begun the process of submitting an official bid to host the 2016 all-star game to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the franchise. They can't do 2014 since it's in New Orleans and they can't do 2015 since it's probably gonna be in Brooklyn or New York. I would love it if it was here! Toronto has an amazing crowd and NBA fans that would be so utterly hyped for such an amazing event! Hell, I might have to save up some money and buy some tickets if it does happen
      About time. Richard Peddie stood at centre court and promised this years ago.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        What players are not permitted in to Canada to play the Raptors? I have never hear of it being an issue. Every team comes through Canada at least once during a non-lockout season. I don't see why it would be any different for the all-star game.
        We accept criminals from all over the world...a weekend pass is nothing.

Comment

Wow... I didn't know that. That is huge. I hate flying in to Toronto and getting the $50 cab ride to the hotel.
          You and everyone else. Its been a mess at union station over the last year .. but its long overdue in terms of making Toronto a legit international city

Comment

What players are not permitted in to Canada to play the Raptors? I have never hear of it being an issue. Every team comes through Canada at least once during a non-lockout season. I don't see why it would be any different for the all-star game.
            Ok if its not players, its the players family or entourage.

Comment

Don't worry, I'm sure they will find a way to make you spend that kind of money anyway

I've read the same thing in the past though, about why Toronto could never host it. It has to do with more than just hotels and things like that too -- currency is another issue, media, weather, etc. The ASG is one giant money-making extravaganza, bigger than anything Toronto has ever seen or hosted.

I'm not saying it can't be done; these are just a few of the many reasons why such undertaking was never attempted before. I'm trying to find Doug Smith's old blog post about this in 2010 but I can't seem to find it or it's not there anymore.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

Toronto is revolutionizing it's urban core. 2nd to New York, we have the highest number of tall/high-rise buildings in North America.

We're expecting 20,000+ competitors for the Pan Am Games in 2015 and we have an entire dedicated village that is being constructed in the West Don Lands.

By that time, Union station renovation will be complete, as well the connecting LRT to the airport. Waterfront Toronto's new 'soft' waters edge will also be complete. We'll have brand new Streetcars, the Subway expansion to York University will be complete, and the entire subway fleet will be replaced with the new Subway trains.

Pretty sure we can handle the NBA allstar game....

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                  Toronto is revolutionizing it's urban core. 2nd to New York, we have the highest number of tall/high-rise buildings in North America.

We're expecting 20,000+ competitors for the Pan Am Games in 2015 and we have an entire dedicated village that is being constructed in the West Don Lands.

By that time, Union station renovation will be complete, as well the connecting LRT to the airport. Waterfront Toronto's new 'soft' waters edge will also be complete. We'll have brand new Streetcars, the Subway expansion to York University will be complete, and the entire subway fleet will be replaced with the new Subway trains.

Pretty sure we can handle the NBA allstar game....
                  Off course Toronto can handle it.

- Only 6,058 competitors are scheduled for the Pan Am Games and 1,500 for the Parapan Games. Not 20,000
                  The village is being handed to the private sector after the games.
                  Union Station is hoped to be done for the Pan Ams but it wouldn't shock me to be done after them.
                  The subway to York won't be done until fall 2016.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I've read the same thing in the past though, about why Toronto could never host it. It has to do with more than just hotels and things like that too -- currency is another issue, media, weather, etc. The ASG is one giant money-making extravaganza, bigger than anything Toronto has ever seen or hosted.
                    I highly doubt it is bigger than anything Toronto has ever hosted. Caribana and Pride Week would both dwarf the NBA all star game in terms of size. TIFF as well. Even major fights like UFC would rival the size of the all-star game. Even things like the car show are massive endeavours. Didn't that World Youth Day thing in 2000 or so have like a million person outdoor mass? And that was just one morning of it.

Pretty sure Toronto can handle a few dozen athletes, their assorted hangers on and the press...

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      If it happens, please don't allow Ne-Yo in Canada.
                      Red and White wrote: View Post
                      Or Nick Cannon.
                      Indeed.

mountio wrote: View Post
                      Yup. And 5-star hotels. Thats the biggest change in TO over the last few years. What used to be one option (a dated Four Seasons in Yorkville) is now a brand new four seasons, the Trump, the Shang Ri La and the Ritz. Thats a HUGE difference in the last 3 years in terms of hosting these type of events.

Throw in the subway to the airport, which will be done by 2016 and TO is totally ready from an infrastructure perspective ..
                      Plus Presto will be GTA-wide meaning an easy to understand transit payment system.

I hate flying in to Toronto and getting the $50 cab ride to the hotel.
                      Why would you take a cab from the Airport? you should take the Go Bus instead.

slaw wrote: View Post
                      I highly doubt it is bigger than anything Toronto has ever hosted. Caribana and Pride Week would both dwarf the NBA all star game in terms of size. TIFF as well. Even major fights like UFC would rival the size of the all-star game. Even things like the car show are massive endeavours. Didn't that World Youth Day thing in 2000 or so have like a million person outdoor mass? And that was just one morning of it.

Pretty sure Toronto can handle a few dozen athletes, their assorted hangers on and the press...
                      Metro Toronto Convention Centre (just down the street) handles Fan Expo convention which hosts about 50,000 during the course of a 4 day weekend. Anime North, a not for profit convention, hosts 22,000 by the airport alone. Downtown Toronto can surely handle an Allstar game.

Comment

Working...
                      X