No announcement yet.

Colangelo: Trades/Bargnani and Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=white men can't jump;190964]I get the impression this is the reason. With Gay's increasing salary, they probably figure they can stand to pay the tax for a couple of years and then remodel the roster/payroll, but don't want to pay the repeater tax, especially since the playoffs are still a long shot this season.[/QUOTE
    But if we could make playoffs next two years and maybe this year it may be more acceptable to ownership.

Comment

he is making the right call. Bargnani offensive skillset is a good fit for our team, because it is primarily composed of slashers that attack the rim (gay,derozan,lowry) and we need space for them to do so to be succesful, if we are not getting a piece like that back it is detrimental to trade him, he is less of a defensive burden b/c we are playing him less minutes/more energy to defend b/c he is 3rd/4th option now, he is also good at setting screens. I don't like bargnani, but I put that aside when thinking about what would be best for the team.
      Last edited by akashsingh; Tue Feb 19, 2013, 06:45 PM.

Comment

The team is one "Amir Ankle Tweak" away from Andrea starting and chucking away!!!
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          The team is one "Amir Ankle Tweak" away from Andrea starting and chucking away!!!
          But that's just it... even if he doesn stay, I get the impression that the 'old Bargnani treatment double-standard' no longer applies. I believe that DC now has the final say with how/when to use Bargnani. The worst case scenario (offensively) is that he becomes a decoy as a 3rd/4th option; the best case is that his shooting touch returns and he is able to contribute much more efficiently. Either way, as long as DC can keep him on a short leash, I don't mind him sticking around as the backup PF.

Comment

Luckily Amir plays through everything but I agree. I'm calling it now. Amir will get injured and AB step into the starting line up and hell play the best ball of the season.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I get the impression this is the reason. With Gay's increasing salary, they probably figure they can stand to pay the tax for a couple of years and then remodel the roster/payroll, but don't want to pay the repeater tax, especially since the playoffs are still a long shot this season.
              Well, they won't pay the repeater rate this year or next year regardless, because it doesn't kick in until until 2014. In 2014-15, you pay the repeater rate if you paid tax in each of the last three seasons (2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14). So because we weren't a tax-paying team in 2011-12, we won't pay the repeater rate in 2014-15. In 2015-16 (and beyond), we'd pay the repeater rate if we pay tax in three of the previous four seasons. So that's the year that paying tax this year comes into play: tax this year means repeater rate in 2015-16. So there's lots of time to reconfigure the salary if the current core don't work out... Everybody on the roster except for DeRozan is up for renewal before then (plus team options on the rookies).

So yeah, another year under the tax would be the best scenario, but if there's an opportunity to make the team better, I wouldn't pass it up to stay under the tax.

Comment

Is it just me but it sounded like Colangelo was interviewing for his next job in USA Today.

Comment

Trade him. Time to move on. As much as I love and respect Jose - and should have his number retired - it's time to move on, and in a small sample of games, we're winning without him.

But, we're also winning without Bargnani being "the guy". Move him, and move on.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    Is it just me but it sounded like Colangelo was interviewing for his next job in USA Today.
                    He is always selling himself whether it be to media, fans, his bosses, himself, his dad, or the league in general.... so yes, you may be right.

Comment

What I found interesting was BC talking about Bargnani being the 3rd option and being paid like one. The truth is no matter how much he makes, he always falls short of Raptor fan expectation because he was picked #1. A move to a team where this sort of pressure does not surround him will help the team, him and most importantly the Raptors.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Like I said, BC's contract has yet to be picked up. I'm not sure he'll be back if Bargs is not traded. I don't trust he pulls the trigger on trading AB. I'm not sure that the off-season offers much hope either. Why is the summer-time that much more likely for AB to move again?
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                          Isnt this similar to what he said about Calderon before he got traded?
                          Jose Calderon 14.2 PT .548 of 10.3 FG -- FT .607 of 4.7 3P 3.0/0.3 RB 7.7 AS 0.2 BL 1.8 ST 2.3 TO 2.2 PF 32.9 MN 6/6 GS (last 6 games)

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                            That is very funny and a great analogy.

I have been anti bargs since about 3 years ago when the #TRADEBARGSNOW bandwagon was not nearly so crowded.

but I am in favor of them not trading him.... not yet. AS LONG AS HE REMAINS A RESERVE who gets yanked if he is slacking.
                            +1

Like I said, BC's contract has yet to be picked up. I'm not sure he'll be back if Bargs is not traded. I don't trust he pulls the trigger on trading AB. I'm not sure that the off-season offers much hope either. Why is the summer-time that much more likely for AB to move again?
                            My thinking is that there's no hurry to just give bargs away. He's just came back from an injury which makes the possibility of trading him small. For whatever reason players don't seem to be traded when they are injured or if they've just come back from injury. I do think we'll be able to get as much for bargs or more in the off season than right at this moment. I also don't think his trade value can be any lower, so there's no harm in keeping him.

I'm actually okay with keeping him until the trade deadline next year, which should help his value since he'll have less years on his contract. My feeling is that if bargs is coming off the bench getting rid of him is NOT addition by subtraction, we can and should get something decent back. Not equal or fair value, but we can do better than give him away for nothing.

If a good trade comes along today or tomorrow, than you take it, and run with it, but we're not under the gun to make a move.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Can't beleive BC is publicly saying that we might keep him after publicly saying he was looking to trade Bargs just a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking he's trying to squeeze an extra draft pick from someone desperately trying to make a trade for Bargs.

We need to get another big whom can rebound. Can't expect Amir to play 39 minutes a game and when he's out and Gray comes in the game just doesn't flow. Also Gay is playing way too many minutes. A tweener like Milsap or Josh Smith would be an ideal fit imo.

Comment

Phil Jackson open to being a GM!

Despite the current win streak, making the playoffs is still a long shot. I believe that Colangelo will not be renewed as GM no matter. So contemplating who's next as GM, and not endorsing any particular candidate, I'm asking why not Phil?

SI: The $12 million question -- and I'm just throwing out a number -- is: Are you going to coach in the NBA again?

Jackson: I'm not coaching. I told Mitch [Kupchak, Lakers GM] that back in October. So when we sat down in November [to talk about taking over after Mike Brown was fired], he brought that up and I said, "Well, this isn't about moving or going somewhere else and learning new players. It's different. So I'm ready to think about coming back, but I still have to think about it."

But I do hold out the idea that there's still influence in the game I could have. Red Auerbach, Pete Newell, Wayne Embry, guys like that have had ... a number of people have had considerable influence and haven't been coaches per se.

SI: So ... a GM job?

Jackson: I don't like that term. Vice president of basketball operations/director of player personnel is more like it.

SI: Vice president ... that doesn't sound like the boss, but the guy who would report to the owner.

Jackson: No, that guy would be the boss. He would be the president of the organization.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...#ixzz2LSzjoDjl

Comment

Working...
                                X