2013 season is at the very least a Moral Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KaioKev wrote: View Post
    The season started off very rough. But after Lowry and Bargnani went down to injury and the schedule got better, the Raps turned it around. Trading away Calderon was tough to see but i recognize that its time to move on from that era. Also, letting an emerging Ed Davis go was tough as well but what we got in return was slasher who can step it up late in the game. Moving Bargnani to the bench is also a sign that the era of Bosh-Calderon-Bargnani is coming to a complete end.

Its a different team now. With Lowry-Gay-DeRozan leading the way and Anderson-Valanciunas-Johnson as the support cast. With Casey at the helm the identity and the way the team plays now is much different to the way it played with Triano and Mitchell.

I see we play Indiana on Friday and Milwaukee on Saturday. If need be, I would gladly sacrifice a win to Indiana if it means we can be well rested and fully prepared to go out and win against Milwaukee. Beating Milwaukee on Saturday is the only way this playoff push continues.
    It's going to be tough cause the bucks will have two days to prepare for us. Will be coming from a game the night before.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Booing moral victories as we speak. BOOOOOOOO!!!!
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

As Jay Z would say it. Moral victories are for minor league coaches.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

SCP0389 wrote: View Post
          Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
          Meh I disagree

this is a process. "Winning" can only mean winning a championship, and I don't believe that we are "winning" if we make the playoffs and get swept

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            No, I'm pretty sure you meant MORAL victory. I have no idea what a morale victory is. Is that when your team's morale is greater than the other team's morale and you get a carnival prize?
            yes

Comment

yes we've seen progress, and yes i'm excited about next year. but the odds are heavily against us even before the loss to the wiz.

But imo it's best to keep things in perspective. We've still got a few issues that need to be worked out, if we want to get out of the first round.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

The positives certainly seem lessened with that ugly loss to the Wizards. Gotta beat certain teams, and that was one of them.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                  Meh I disagree

this is a process. "Winning" can only mean winning a championship, and I don't believe that we are "winning" if we make the playoffs and get swept
                  Not sure why everyone is so convinced we'd get swept if we made the playoffs. Not that we'd beat Miami but I think we match up well with them. We have good wing defenders now, and Amir vs Bosh is solid if he can stay out of foul trouble. I think we could take a game or two from them. Sure we'll get blown out a couple games but we're streaky offensively. That alone can get you wins in an up-tempo game.
                  There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Moral victory because we gave Jonas 22 minutes a game? We deviated from our rebuild path and set different expectations midway through the season. Moral victory would've been to see Jonas, Ross, Davis, Bargnani, DeRozan all take steps forward. None of that is happening and we're invested in Gay. Given the new direction of this team, there are no moral victories, only wins and losses to count.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                      Moral victory because we gave Jonas 22 minutes a game? We deviated from our rebuild path and set different expectations midway through the season. Moral victory would've been to see Jonas, Ross, Davis, Bargnani, DeRozan all take steps forward. None of that is happening and we're invested in Gay. Given the new direction of this team, there are no moral victories, only wins and losses to count.
                      This is too simplistic. The Raps are 11 games under .500 but have won 6 of the last ten. If they win 60% of their games the rest of the year that puts them somewhere around 39 wins (not good) but which also means they would be an on annualized pace of 49-50 wins (very good). In which case, you could say that the trade was a big win that provides for optimism going forward. Obviously, I am not a fan of Colangelo or his half-assed plans and I still think this roster needs work (as I posted above) but it is a huge improvement on the roster they had a year ago.

I am not sure about your development statement either. Bargnani wasn't ever going to take a step forward. He's a 7th year pro. Derozan is basically what he is. You can expect marginal improvements (I would hope) but what you see now is basically what you got for the next 4 years. Guys like Davis and Ross are a dime a dozen. Not sure why their development is so key. As for Jonas, I don't know, they've clearly found their centre going forward and he's played very good for a rookie big. You aren't going to "develop" guys in-season anyway. That happens in the off season.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                        surely you mean MORALE victory
                        BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                        do I?

Wait let me look it up...yes i Do!
                        Thanks....hopefully I never made that mistake in something work related
                        No, you were right to begin with. Its Moral Victory. Not Morale Victory.

A moral victory occurs when a person, team, army or other group loses a confrontation, and yet achieves some other moral gain. This gain might be unrelated to the confrontation in question, and the gain is often considerably less than what would have been accomplished if an actual victory had been achieved.
                        Source - Wikipedia
                        an actual defeat regarded as a virtual victory because of the narrowness of the margin or because of some circumstance that gives satisfaction or hope
                        Source - Merriam Webster

As per the thread itself, I would agree. While the season is not completely decided, I think most Raps fans will be satisfied going into next season.

Comment

This is too simplistic. The Raps are 11 games under .500 but have won 6 of the last ten. If they win 60% of their games the rest of the year that puts them somewhere around 39 wins (not good) but which also means they would be an on annualized pace of 49-50 wins (very good). In which case, you could say that the trade was a big win that provides for optimism going forward. Obviously, I am not a fan of Colangelo or his half-assed plans and I still think this roster needs work (as I posted above) but it is a huge improvement on the roster they had a year ago.

I am not sure about your development statement either. Bargnani wasn't ever going to take a step forward. He's a 7th year pro. Derozan is basically what he is. You can expect marginal improvements (I would hope) but what you see now is basically what you got for the next 4 years. Guys like Davis and Ross are a dime a dozen. Not sure why their development is so key. As for Jonas, I don't know, they've clearly found their centre going forward and he's played very good for a rookie big. You aren't going to "develop" guys in-season anyway. That happens in the off season.
                          With proper coaching, development is constant. There are more examples of players with no development after an off-season than there are of players who made great strides over the course of a summer. That's why there are so few most-improved candidates. It takes time, irregardless of in-season or not. That being said, if you aren't getting playing time i.e. Ross, you are stunting your development to some degree. Casey is in a tough spot as playing Ross can be a detriment to the team at times and he's trying to make the playoffs for his job's sake. I don't want players who can perform great on the practice court. I want confident, efficient game players. Can't develop that in a gym over the course of a summer.
                          There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

+1

Whether u get better thr

Comment

+1

Whether u improve through development or moves you make it doesn't matter

My point is that we should be happy that our future will not be determined by bargs and dd's development

And that we are better

Comment

From having a terrible start they went to playing decent basketball. Then with Gay the team went to a higher level. So they've gone from terrible to OK to pretty good. There's been a progression not a regression and that's good. One or both of Ross and Vals. is going to improve and that can only make the team better. If they make the play offs, great. If they finish 9th or 10th the pick is OKC's and in a weak draft that's OK too.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X