X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also mcmillan IS a defensive minded coach
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

After retiring in 1998, McMillan stayed with the Seattle franchise, earning a place as an assistant coach. He held this role until 2000, when he was named interim coach of the Sonics. Although the team missed the playoffs during his first year as coach, he provided a major turnaround after the franchise got off to a miserable start that year, and he was hired as head coach for the next 2001-02 campaign. McMillan led the clubs to the playoffs in his second year before back-to-back mediocre seasons. In his final year as Sonics coach, McMillan led the team to a Northwest Division title in 2005.
      After 19 years with the Seattle organization, McMillan left Seattle on July 7, 2005 to become the head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers. He took over a team riddled with cap problems and off-the-court drama, but steadily calmed the waters in Portland.
      like, if this doesn't scream "imagine what he could do for the raptors, hire him immediately" i don't know what does
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        also mcmillan IS a defensive minded coach
        I know I'm just nitpicking at this point, but in 12 years of coaching his team has finished in the top 15 defenses only 3 times. Never cracked the top 10.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

Remember less than a year ago when everyone was praising Casey and thought he was the savior? A lot of you dudes are impatient and turn pretty quick.

Sorry but Casey isn't the problem with this team.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
            Remember less than a year ago when everyone was praising Casey and thought he was the savior? A lot of you dudes are impatient and turn pretty quick.

Sorry but Casey isn't the problem with this team.
            A year ago the Raps were delivering on the promise of "pound the rock" and defense first basketball with few expectations.

This year defense is but an afterthought, accountability is practically non-existent, youth is benched for scrubs, the same lack of execution in crunch time has appeared time and time again, and "pound the rock" has been replaced by "play in the sand."

But yeah, total impatience this year based on realistic or not expectations that have not been met combined with a 5th consecutive season of no playoffs.

Comment

The Raptors have never been great. Its like they try to play bad on purpose to piss off the fans

Comment

I've seen quite a few people misinterpret the "pound the rock" as some sort of style of play. That's wrong. His message with that is the idea that you have to keep pounding (trying, working, developing, improving) toward the goals of improving as individuals and as a team, no matter how frustrating it can be when it appears progress isn't being made. The message is that if you keep "pounding the rock", just like a mason doesn't break the bolder into workable size pieces right away, and it appears no progress is being made, if he keeps at it, he'll eventually be successful, one pounding blow at a time.

I hope the players understand the concept better than most fans. I'm sure they do.
                Last edited by p00ka; Tue Mar 5, 2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                  I've seen quite a few people misinterpret the "pound the rock" as some sort of style of play. That's wrong. His message with that is the idea that you have to keep pounding (trying, working, developing, improving) toward the goals of improving as individuals and as a team, no matter how frustrating it can be when it appears progress isn't being made. The message is that if you keep "pounding the rock", just like a mason doesn't break the bolder into workable size pieces right away, and it appears no progress is being made, if he keeps at it, he'll eventually be successful, one pounding blow at a time.

I hope the players understand the concept better than most fans. I'm sure they do.
                  You are right.

The failures of "pound the rock" has nothing to do with "playing in sand".

Instead of pounding the rock with a hammer, Casey has resorted to pounding the rock with strawberry twizzlers. Some progress was made last year but this year the rock is lathered with red sugary stripes.

Accountability? Nope.

Culture change? Hardly.

Developing? Alan Anderson and Andrea Bargnani.... negative.

Rebuilding? Sure... just with no financial flexibility and draft picks - oh wait, that is Colangelo.

Progress? Don't see it where it matters (defense and win column).

Winning? 23-38 - I think not.

Comment

I'm intrigued with Brian Shaw and it stems from my respect for the triangle. Honestly, I can see Jonas flourishing in it. He keeps his hands high, skilled big man who just needs coaching to hone his skills.

The system is so unique but if you think about it, it's designed perfectly to counter anything. Pressure release, weak side 2 man game, strong side triangle. If executed properly, it's basically unstoppable.

We certainly don't have the perfect team for it and a lot has to be changed in terms of personnel, but it's a great system that has endless options. I like the fact that it positions players in areas where they can be effective in and it limits unnecessary actions.

The concept is old school but it's a timeless offense. You can add options that you can flow to off the triangle. I say give the systems shot.

Kobe did want him as the replacement, after all. That should say a lot about the trust in the system and in him as a coach.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                      I'm intrigued with Brian Shaw and it stems from my respect for the triangle. Honestly, I can see Jonas flourishing in it. He keeps his hands high, skilled big man who just needs coaching to hone his skills.

The system is so unique but if you think about it, it's designed perfectly to counter anything. Pressure release, weak side 2 man game, strong side triangle. If executed properly, it's basically unstoppable.

We certainly don't have the perfect team for it and a lot has to be changed in terms of personnel, but it's a great system that has endless options. I like the fact that it positions players in areas where they can be effective in and it limits unnecessary actions.

The concept is old school but it's a timeless offense. You can add options that you can flow to off the triangle. I say give the systems shot.

Kobe did want him as the replacement, after all. That should say a lot about the trust in the system and in him as a coach.
                      The ironic thing about considering Shaw is that I've felt for a long time that Bargnani could thrive in the triangle offense. I think his passing is underrated, especially for a big. The triangle would keep him floating around the foul line, moving up and down the key, ensuring that he doesn't just sit idly at the 3pt line taking flat-footed 3's. A Bargnani that is forced by the system to play inside, take much higher % shots, utilize his passing abilities and stay closer to the basket for potential rebounds... certainly addresses lots of typical complaints about his inefficient offensive game (of course the triangle offense does nothing to improve his defense).

I'm not suggesting Shaw to keep Bargnani, just pointing out the irony.

Comment

Working...
                      X