Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Isn't it all for not if Batum has ill feelings towards Toronto?
    Has he said this?

Comment

• Wasn't there a Toronto Sun article a few weeks back suggesting as such? I can't seem to find it.

Comment

• Batum at SG with Miller/MKG/Barnes at SF is very intriguing. Suddenly we have a very, VERY big starting 5.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          Has he said this?
          It was on here a few weeks ago, apparently during the draft the Rators caught some heart thing during the physical assesment and he was mad because no other teams saw the same thing or some such.

Ryan Wolstat Tweeted this on January 19:

Batum already said in a French interview that he'd never sign with the Raps because of what happened before the draft...
          There was a discussion about it on here I think.

I think we should give Johnson a chance to continue at the three, he is playing good ball right now.

Edit: here is the article on Batum's workout

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=3454367
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Wasn't there a Toronto Sun article a few weeks back suggesting as such? I can't seem to find it.
            I'd love to see it because it totally missed our radar here. I don't remember anyone posting it in here and I think such a story is good enough right now in this little boring spurt to warrant it's own thread.

Comment

• don't get me started on what we'd be able to do defensively if Batum/MKG/Miller/Barnes are our swings goodness gracious i just went from six to midnight
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• and the zone defense oh my god the zone defense
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I would love to see this article where Nic says that he'd never consider the Raps. It could be true, but it really does not sound like the guy who's a smart and tempered dude.

Comment

• yeah he did supposedly say that. i vaguely remember him saying the raps made him look like he had a heart problem or something? and his dad died of a heart problem literally at a free throw line or something? anyways, i guess he argued it scared teams off drafting him. we talked about this like 2 weeks ago.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• hateslosing wrote: View Post
                      It was on here a few weeks ago, apparently during the draft the Rators caught some heart thing during the physical assesment and he was mad because no other teams saw the same thing or some such.

Ryan Wolstat Tweeted this on January 19:

There was a discussion about it on here I think.

I think we should give Johnson a chance to continue at the three, he is playing good ball right now.

Edit: here is the article on Batum's workout

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=3454367

That was a retweet of someone else (jberteraut) that Wolstat sent out. He followed it up with two other tweets.

19 Jan Ryan Wolstat @WolstatSun
                      RT @jberteraut: Batum already said in a French interview that he'd never sign with the Raps because of what happened before
                      20 Jan Ryan Wolstat @WolstatSun
                      Back from a Twitter vacation. Re: Batum, don't remeber him ever bad-mouthing Raps, but the team did say he had a heart issue which might ...
                      the draft...Ryan Wolstat @WolstatSun
                      ... Might have hurt his draft stock and was never proven or brought up again IIRC. Plus his dad died from heart issue I believe

What I would really like to find is the actual french interview because the ESPN link has nothing negative towards Toronto:

French swingman Nicolas Batum, projected to be a late first-round NBA draft pick, stopped participating in a workout with the Toronto Raptors earlier this week after a stress echo test -- a treadmill test that measures the health of the heart -- came back in the "borderline" area.

"There is an issue with Batum, and nothing is clear," his agent, Bouna Ndiaye, told ESPN.com on Friday afternoon. "The number [the score on his stress echo test] could be a borderline problem if he had a family history of heart problems. But I talked to Nicolas's mother and she said his father didn't die of a heart problem. His team in France and the French national team test him regularly and said they've never seen any indication that he had a heart issue."

A Sports Illustrated report in February said that Batum's father, Henry, suffered a "massive heart attack" and died at the free throw line while playing pro basketball in France when Nicolas was 2 years old. According to Ndiaye, Batum's father died of an aneurysm, not a heart attack.

Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo, reached by phone, refused to comment on the situation.

Batum was scheduled to be in the three-team workout in New Jersey on Friday, but didn't play. He did take a physical, and Ndiaye said results were similar to those in Toronto. Ndiaye said Batum will undergo another test over the weekend and, if it goes well, he'll be able to begin workouts again next week.

Batum also has canceled an open workout in New York scheduled for Saturday.

"He feels fine," Ndiaye said. "He wants to work out. He's been doing great. This morning he really wanted to work out with Joe Alexander. This is disappointing. I really don't think this is a real issue."

It's unclear whether the issue will affect Batum's draft status. It does come at a bad time. After wowing NBA scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit in April 2007, his draft stock has been on the decline. His play in the French league this year wasn't stellar. Neither was a brief appearance at this year's Reebok Eurocamp.

However, he's had some strong individual workouts for teams and was projected as a potential pick somewhere between 17 and 27.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        That was a retweet of someone else (jberteraut) that Wolstat sent out. He followed it up with two other tweets.

What I would really like to find is the actual french interview because the ESPN link has nothing negative towards Toronto:
                        Yah, all I've ever seen are the tweets. The interview itself would shed a lot of light on the situation.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Budinger seems like one of those "diamonds in the rough" players Colangelo loves to pursue. And he definitely won't demand the type of salary associated with guys like Chandler or Batum.
                          It's very debatable whether Chase Budinger is a little worse, as good, or a little better than Linas Kleiza.

I prefer Kleiza and he's already signed to a reasonable contract.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            It's very debatable whether Chase Budinger is a little worse, as good, or a little better than Linas Kleiza.

I prefer Kleiza and he's already signed to a reasonable contract.
                            I agree.

The Raptors are set in the front court (assuming they draft a wing).
                            (JJ, Kleiza, Bargnani, Amir, ED, JV, hopefully Gray).

They need guard help.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Batum's career to date doesn't warrant $10M/yr. His upside doesn't warrant $10M/yr. Matt had asked me a while ago, maybe in this thread or maybe another, what I thought was fair and I think I said around $7.5M/yr. I think that holds true. I think that Raptors should get in on the bidding action but there are other
                              But teams offer a salary based in part upon the player's expected performance for the duration of the contract. Or at least that's the hope from my perspective.

Batum's future expected performance is hard to predict based upon his career numbers; some quite nice numbers and some not so good. I believe a team signing Batum for $10M per year is taking a risk but I would not call it an unreasonable risk.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                                But teams offer a salary based in part upon the player's expected performance for the duration of the contract. Or at least that's the hope from my perspective.
                                Yeah, correct and Batum doesn't have much more hype around him than Trevor Ariza had entering free agency. Ariza is making around $7M/yr.

You're suggesting that people are going to offer him a contract comparable to the one Gerald Wallace is finishing right now. Wallace was far more battle tested than Batum when he landed that deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X