Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Canada handle more than 1 NBA franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Canada handle more than 1 NBA franchise?

If yes, how many?

Would the fanbases of those clubs suffer? I think Raptors now have ~30 millions fans, no?

I don't know much about your country, but from what I can put together, there might be possibilities for 5-6 franchises?..

Toronto
    Vancouver
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Calgary

Thoughts? If you think the thread is bad, delete it. But I think every new thread might be a good thing in this boring time

One at a time

In reality, they should actually start removing franchises, there's not enough talent to go around.

These cities would be able to accommodate an NBA team, as they already have the infrastructure.

I would love to see another Canadian NBA team, mainly in VAN, cause they got screwed.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I think the Grizzlies got pulled out way too quickly, I doubt they were among the worst earning teams in the league.
      I can't really say anything about Ottawa or Montreal, but my time in Calgary (many years ago) leads me to believe it wouldn't flourish there. Bunch of cowboys who probably think of basketball as a pussy sport because there isn't any tackling or fist fights. Lot people I knew growing up held that attitude (I didn't grow up in Calgary, but I'd imagine those kind of sentiments are stronger there).

Comment

Vancouver could definitely support another team. But seems that maybe Las Vegas and Seattle are ahead of them for getting another team.

I know there's no stadium, but man, I would love for Niagara to get a team. Then everyone in across the boarder would have a team to support.
        Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Vancouver is the easy choice, after that it does get a little more difficult. Calgary is in a a period of rapid growth right now, but for how long with that be sustainable, Ottawa, while a great city with some solid basketball pedigree, may not be large enough to get 18,000 people to every game, Montreal has lots of basketball going on, but I wonder how the lack of a French connection would work, they get pretty pissy if the hockey team does not have a French coach and French Canadian players.

As for another team in Toronto, now way that is happening.

Rather than looking at NBA expansion (or team relocation) we should be looking at supporting the NBL Canada. This league is going into year two and seems to have been doing things the right way. Now boasting a solid 8 team league with teams in 5 provinces, the foundation is there to put down roots and become something special. I have had the opportunity to take in a game and the product on the floor was pretty good. The league has former NBA players, CIS all Canadians, former Canadian National team members, NCAA champions, as well as the lessor know guys who can really play. While I would like to see the mandatory minimum amount of Canadians on a team increase, I do think that starting at 2 kept the quality of play up.

Give it a try and check it out.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

The problem with Vancouver was they put a lousy product on the floor and didn't improve much...at least that is how I recall things.

I'm onboard for boosting the NBL. I intend to attend all the home games in Oshawa this year. Only an hour drive. Probably go down with some buddies and make an evening of it. I believe a group is trying to get them to stage a pre-season exhibition game in Peterborough, which would be sweet.

Comment

as long as vancouver doesn't try to draft ignorant players like stevie franchise they could still support a team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NBA_Draft

couple other players there that had better careers but would anyone of chosen them over francis?
              if the nba supported and protected them and the nba players union had any decency there would be a fantastic team still in vancouver right now. if heisley was an honest person there would still be a team there. if the nba had of taken over the team like the did the hornets, there would still be a team there.

steve francis, antonio davis and eric lindros. the world doesn't need their kind of ignorance

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                The problem with Vancouver was they put a lousy product on the floor and didn't improve much...at least that is how I recall things.

I'm onboard for boosting the NBL. I intend to attend all the home games in Oshawa this year. Only an hour drive. Probably go down with some buddies and make an evening of it. I believe a group is trying to get them to stage a pre-season exhibition game in Peterborough, which would be sweet.
                I think an exhibition game in Peterborough would be a pretty good thing, if they did it as a double header with Fleming college at the wellness center it would go over well. It is not a far drive from Peterborough to Oshawa so it makes sense to build a fan base there.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I can tell you there wouldn't be one in ottawa. Not exactly a hoops hotbed up here...

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                    I can tell you there wouldn't be one in ottawa. Not exactly a hoops hotbed up here...
                    You say that but Ottawa is home to Carleton University, hands down the best CIS program in the country, add in Ottawa U and Algonquin college, both teams respected programs in their leagues and you have a foundation of a good basketball community. The National Cadet men's team has two players form the Ottawa area on the team, Marial Shoyok (St Patrick's, Ottawa) and Chris Mccomber (John McCrae, Nepean), you could even put Kevin Zabo on the as he is from Gatineau, just across the river.

Don't sell Ottawa short, while most places in Canada will always be "hockey" towns, basketball is ever growing and becoming more and more in the spot light, rather than bash your community and basketball, promote it.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      You say that but Ottawa is home to Carleton University, hands down the best CIS program in the country, add in Ottawa U and Algonquin college, both teams respected programs in their leagues and you have a foundation of a good basketball community. The National Cadet men's team has two players form the Ottawa area on the team, Marial Shoyok (St Patrick's, Ottawa) and Chris Mccomber (John McCrae, Nepean), you could even put Kevin Zabo on the as he is from Gatineau, just across the river.

Don't sell Ottawa short, while most places in Canada will always be "hockey" towns, basketball is ever growing and becoming more and more in the spot light, rather than bash your community and basketball, promote it.
                      Great insight! I live here and can tell you there is a strong basketball community and good foundation for basketball here. Ottawa is a city that mixes politics and education. Realistically speaking, I do not see Ottawa being capable of maintaining a nba franchise. The current stadium is located far on the outskirts of the city. I do think that if Ottawa gets a downtown stadium it might be able to sustain a franchise but that is a long-shot to say the least. Id prefer to see Vancouver and Montreal with a team. Those are two top notch cities in north america. MTL would be awesome because it is only 2 hrs away from Ottawa so I wouldn't be complaining :P but Vancouver probably deserves it more.
                      We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                        The current stadium is located far on the outskirts of the city.
                        Oddly enough, I believe the Pistons' arena is decently far from Detroit.
                        Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Sun Aug 19, 2012, 09:37 PM.
                        TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                          Great insight! I live here and can tell you there is a strong basketball community and good foundation for basketball here. Ottawa is a city that mixes politics and education. Realistically speaking, I do not see Ottawa being capable of maintaining a nba franchise. The current stadium is located far on the outskirts of the city. I do think that if Ottawa gets a downtown stadium it might be able to sustain a franchise but that is a long-shot to say the least. Id prefer to see Vancouver and Montreal with a team. Those are two top notch cities in north america. MTL would be awesome because it is only 2 hrs away from Ottawa so I wouldn't be complaining :P but Vancouver probably deserves it more.
                          The bottom line is Ottawa is simply too small to get a franchise. Hockey is just able to keep its head above water .. basketball has no chance. I do agree that Ottawa has a decent basketball culture through Carleton etc .. but not enough to warrant a team.

If I had to chose I think Id favour Montreal slightly ahead of Vancouver. Better business community and good fans with decent bball knowledge. Vancouver might benefit from Seatle not having a team any longer .. so might be able to give it a better go than last time (and the dollar at par doesnt hurt vs 65 cents where it was when the grizz were there).

All in all though .. any city outside of Toronto has a marginal case for a team to me. Bball is getting a better following for sure .. but still nothing compared to even a Seattle, for example. The NBA wont be adding more teams any time soon .. so its a matter of stealing one from Sac town or somewhere else (charlotte?) that is struggling ...

Comment

Vancouver is the only city that could. Ottawa, montreal, and calgary have a 0% chance of acquiring an nba team. Vancouver could get one but right now they are far down on the waiting list.

Comment

Heres a list of cities by populations

http://www.citypopulation.de/Canada-Metro.html

Principal Metropolitan Areas
                              Name Adm. A C 2011-05-10
                              1Toronto ONT 5,583,064
                              2Montréal QUE 3,824,221
                              3Vancouver BC 2,313,328
                              4Ottawa ONT 1,236,324
                              5Calgary ALTA 1,214,839
                              6Edmonton ALTA 1,159,869
                              7Québec QUE 765,706
                              8Winnipeg MAN 730,018
                              9Hamilton ONT 721,053
                              10Kitchener ONT 477,160
                              11London ONT 474,786

in contrast here are the top ten largest cities in the united states just to clear up some misconceptions about size:

http://www.biggestuscities.com/

1 New York New York 8,391,881[ny]
                              2 Los Angeles California 3,831,868[ca]
                              3 Chicago Illinois 2,851,268[il]
                              4 Houston Texas 2,257,926[tx]
                              5 Phoenix Arizona 1,593,659[az]
                              6 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1,547,297[pa]
                              7 San Antonio city Texas 1,373,668[tx]
                              8 San Diego California 1,306,300[ca]
                              9 Dallas city Texas 1,299,542[tx]
                              10 San Jose California 964,695[ca]

If Ottawa was a city in the US it would be the 10th largest city so if any of these other cities can manage to sustain a pro sports franchise there is a case for my city. I'm sure with the right infrastructure in place Ottawa would manage. Toronto would place at a comfortable second place after NY and LA. Now looking at Montreal if it was an American city, it would be in third position, just ahead of Chicago. Lastly Vancouver would come in right after Montreal in 4th place. I'm sure these two cities would do just fine with a NBA franchise in town. Some people claim that there isn't any interest in basketball in Canada, I disagree. Look at some cities like Portland with 566,143 people or Orlando with only 235,860 people, still very able to maintain a NBA team. I cant see why Montreal or Vancouver can't.
                              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Working...
                              X