Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Anderson vs the world

JawsGT asked a question I've long wondered myself:

Whats wrong with Alan anderson? Alot of people don't seem to like him or his game, what am I missing?
    Now I'm personally indifferent to Alan Anderson. I think he's a great value contract (dirt cheap) and a quality if uninspiring veteran player, but I'm not losing any sleep if he's on the floor or off. However, there is a segment of the fan base who he's clearly not making friends with.

It seems that the biggest criticism is he shoots to much. Probably not an unfair assessment, but then again we are talking about a team who has never shyed away from high usage shooters as their modus operandi. So lets make a few comparisons.

usage - ast% - Pts/Poss. (where poss. = fga + 0.45(fta) + TO)

Alan Anderson

23.7 - 11.7 - 0.93

Demar Derozan

23.7 - 12.4 - 0.93

Rudy Gay

30.1 - 14.2 - 0.83

Terrence Ross

19.9 - 7.8 - 0.89

Landry Fields

12.7 - 9.2 - 0.84

I didn't want to fill this post with numbers, so I'll just add some tidbits people may find relevant:

- FTA/FGA (highest ratio to lowest): Derozan > Anderson > Fields > Gay > Ross (although AA/Fields/Gay are all very close)
    - FGA/Min (most to least): Gay > Anderson > Derozan > Ross > Fields (although AA/DD/Ross are all rather close)

So what do we see here:

- Anderson does have a high usage and shots per minute (equal to Demar) although much lower than Gay
    - a lower assist% than the other two vets, although the difference is marginal
    - the highest pts/poss of all the wings

Is Alan Anderson a "chucker"?

Using most versions of that term I'd say yes. But aside from Fields, not much different than the Raptors other wing options. Yet given his (relative) efficiency it makes more sense for him to 'chuck' than the other options available to the team.

Another bit of information:

Anderson beats out Demar and Gay in almost all clutch stats - from win%, eFG%, to net +/-48 and is only beat by Ross in most categories (although Ross is on a small sample).

So its tough to make the argument that he should be off the floor at the end of games as he is perhaps a better option.

(I left Fields out because his sample is so small the numbers aren't even fair to him - but let me tell you the 0% wins, -80 +/- and what might be the worst ortg (70) and drtg (150) in history aren't enticing)

Conclusion:

What we see is a guy who, more or less, fits into what his peers do. Strangely enough, it seems to drive some fans away despite him being the better option for that role (if 'chucking' can be defined as a role). Now I understand people don't see him as a 'core' player, and want to see Ross get more minutes for experience so that changes the rational a bit. But this should perhaps raise 2 more important question - exactly how good is this 'core' when Alan Anderson is arguably the better option, and whose minutes should actually be sacrificied so Ross can get more minutes?

How concerning is it that our dirt cheap guy is statistically as good as our big money core guys? I have no problem with AA.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

i don't have any actual problem with AA, my problem is more with Casey who goes with him all game every game even if he's playing poorly and likes to run the offense through him for some inexplicable reason.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Interesting, sad, and revealing look at the numbers.

Still think this comes back to coaching. Clearly the offense is inefficient and full of suckage - especially from a wing perspective.

Comment

I don't think we have a problem with the players so much as the coach. I was at the ATL game yesterday and watched as the Hawks adjusted on defense to Derozan and Gay's attack (which BTW definitely showed the potential that these guys have on offense) but the Raptors kept going to the same method of attack never once thinking to go to Big Val before the game was out of reach even though he had something like four and-1's. These players can't possibly learn to be a successful team in this league without some guidance. Derozan, Anderson and Gay have been given the green light yet the majority of the time have not been able to get good shots within a consistent offensive flow. What irks me most is that Casey will attribute the loss to something like turnovers, rebounding or points in the paint, which, while relevant is usually reflective on the poor sets we run rather than the players' own mistakes.

Anderson is a prime example of these coaching errors as he can be a good player but is being used incorrectly and being asked to manufacture offense which he can do in a limited role but is now our third option.

Comment

Thank you Craiger for the interesting post. I have to admit I think AA is doing a good job off the bench. I'm not sure, especially at this point in the season, he should be inserted ahead of Ross, but having a good distance shooter off the bench is key. Everyone seems to think that the Raps need better 3pt shooting, why not get it from AA? Perhaps he "chucks" too much, but thats pretty much what most of our wings do anyways. I'd like to see an offense that utilized AA as a set shot shooter. Less shooting off the dribble and around screens. Lowry, Gay, Derozan need to work it to get the other guys open, especially AA.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Thank you Craiger for the interesting post. I have to admit I think AA is doing a good job off the bench. I'm not sure, especially at this point in the season, he should be inserted ahead of Ross, but having a good distance shooter off the bench is key. Everyone seems to think that the Raps need better 3pt shooting, why not get it from AA? Perhaps he "chucks" too much, but thats pretty much what most of our wings do anyways. I'd like to see an offense that utilized AA as a set shot shooter. Less shooting off the dribble and around screens. Lowry, Gay, Derozan need to work it to get the other guys open, especially AA.
              I absolutely agree. If Anderson could be counted on to be an Anthony Parker type player - providing veteran leadership and being a calming influence, nailing set 3pt shots as the 4th offensive option and being a great perimeter defender - then I think he could definitely have a place on this team. However, he too often seems to play as though he thinks he's the second coming of Michael Jordan, acting as though he's the 'go-to' guy offensively and the team's superstar. That's when I shake my head at him (and Lucas)... just play hard and take good, smart shots within the flow of the offensive gameplan, as the team's 4th option! Casey deserves blame for letting Anderson (and Lucas) get away with playing in 'god mode' way too much.

Comment

The problem is AA plays above his skillset I admire that he is gutsy like that but I agree he should be coming off the bench to be a spot up shooter I.E Nokak and Bonner even if not nearly as accurate cause hes hell a streaky this way he wouldnt get as much flak.

But the problem that is glaring is Lucas.... he doesnt know what hes doing. He could have been Nate Robinson ladies and gentlemen!!!

Comment

I made this comment few days ago in Knicks game thread. It pretty much fits what I think regarding this thread so I'll just repost it here.
                  Now think why AA and Lucas chucks? Make stupid shots? Why DD and RG are throwing bricks from mid range and why Lowry doesn't look like himself. Because of the coach. Period. Coach cannot allow such things, if they throw these bricks and coach is fine with that, then well, it's horrible. If coach just cannot control them then it's even more horrible, though I don't believe this may be the case. Of course one may say coach is GMs puppet, but fault is not just on players. Player like AA would flourish in team like San Antonio under short leash, I'm not even talking about JV.
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I think AA is a pretty savy vet and DD can definitely learn a thing or two from him. AA is real good with jab steps and fakes. There are several occasions where he breaks down the defender just by faking them with the jab step and then he is left with an open lane to attack. I never see derozan doing that.

With his athleticism and explosiveness, DD could really use a move like that to free himself, especially when his ball handling isn't the greatest.
                    Last edited by Pong; Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                      I made this comment few days ago in Knicks game thread. It pretty much fits what I think regarding this thread so I'll just repost it here.
                      Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself. Is this the game plan ? If it is not - why keep letting it slip ?

This thread also means "why the hell did we extend Derozan and signed Gay" when we actually get similar production from player who is hated but gets paid like a cheerleader (perhaps less - I don't know how much they make )

Comment

Alan Anderson's jab steps are NICE. If we had really good ball movement and you let him camp outside (which he is a threat, don't kid yourself), he will be a very serviceable player.

It just shows how we lack a good culture because if you put him in a Spurs uniform, or even Memphis, all of a sudden, he can easily help you win games because of his skill set.

I think it's the fact that we are lacking winning mentality here in Toronto so a D-League call up like Anderson can afford the freedom to showcase his skills (too much showcasing). But if you put him in a winning situation, his skill set can actually help a team win because he can hit shots, he can guard at a level deemed acceptable at the NBA level, he can post & he can hit you with the jab step (left AND right).

I definitely see a place for him in the league, there's no doubt about that.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                          Alan Anderson's jab steps are NICE. If we had really good ball movement and you let him camp outside (which he is a threat, don't kid yourself), he will be a very serviceable player.

It just shows how we lack a good culture because if you put him in a Spurs uniform, or even Memphis, all of a sudden, he can easily help you win games because of his skill set.

I think it's the fact that we are lacking winning mentality here in Toronto so a D-League call up like Anderson can afford the freedom to showcase his skills (too much showcasing). But if you put him in a winning situation, his skill set can actually help a team win because he can hit shots, he can guard at a level deemed acceptable at the NBA level, he can post & he can hit you with the jab step (left AND right).

I definitely see a place for him in the league, there's no doubt about that.
                          Exactly, the jab step + crossover is a fundamental basketball play that we rarely see players use. DD and Ross need to learn small plays like these to fully take advantage of their explosiveness.

Comment

I tried to follow the math. Then I cried and put on a Taylor Swift album
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

AA is a gritty guy that you hold on to for the right price. He has a great jab step that throws defenders off and can use the dribble to create a little for himself. We should sign him to a decent contract, 3 years 18 million. The problem is our bench and bench scoring. In a losing season, fans watching, tend to quantify things. Allan takes the right shots, we just need a few other veteran players who are just as much a threat as he is. Great development this year and I am looking forward to next season. I saw leaps and bounds this year for certain players and fairly consistent efforts from others. We do have some issues but there are 16 other teams with us, takes time to build a champion. We have some nice pieces, thats my take. Everyone is so down on the offseason, I am excited to see what Colangelo swings.

Comment

Working...
                              X