Josh Hamilton "The Lord Told Me I Was Going To Hit That Home Run."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heinz57 wrote: View Post
    the only time i'd ever be against somebody being vocal about their religion is when their religion makes them a douchebag.
    Heinz, I don't think Religion makes anyone a douche. It just gives them an outlet to conduct their douchebaggery.

god is an abstract construct. if it wasn't, everyone would agree on one religion.
    The major Religions, on most fronts, their scriptures teach the same beliefs. Some of the prophets may be different but for the most part the general overarching messages are the same. Where they differ tends to be in the "rulers" who oversee their individual evolutions. If you bypass that crap and go back to the fundamentals they're extremely similar... For the most part.

but what people should take away from religion is the same for all of them... there are certain ways to be that make you a decent person.. there are certain ways to be that make you a dick.. don't be a dick.
    Religion no doubt can play a very positive role even if you aren't spiritual. Reading the New Testament for example can teach you a lot about morals and showing compassion for your fellow man. It is also one of the oldest history books. The antsiest would immediately butt in about right here and say it's not a history book but last time I checked they weren't around 2000 years ago and all history books are warped by those who rule the land so you shouldn't take anything completely at face value.

but the minute you use religion as a soapbox to hate.... go f$%$ yourself. you missed the point, and you're the dick.
    I think Religion is used as a tool to manipulate people into conflicts. I don't feel it's the Religion that's the problem. I think the problem is in those we allow to guide us. I think the problem is that in most cases narcissists are the people who reach power because they're willing to do whatever it takes to get there. Narcissists don't look out for anyone but themselves. That's why the world is in turmoil. The biggest dicks are at the top. They control all those stupid television shows which train the rest of us, who are willing, to be dicks.

Comment

sorry... shoulda clarified... alot of the time when i said "religion" i should have said "organized religion"... i have issue with governing bodies based on faith in the imaginary.

religion is good... it's a great base for children to learn things like how not to be a dick..

hell, even the most BS religions out there took a creative imagination to think up... creative thinking is good.

what i disagree with is the kind of thing where an organized governing body can dictate that everyone who believes in the same abstract concept as them have to be against abortion and condoms... that kind of thing..

im all for religion... but im also all for people coming to those conclusions on their own... people dont have to be sheep

Comment

But most people are sheep. It's good to ask questions. Schools don't teach that important life concept anymore though.

For the record I don't believe that everything in the Bible is the be all end all. I don't believe that it's all to be taken literally either. I did this elective in my university days that taught the history behind the forming of the Bible(New Testament). Like who wrote it, when they wrote it and who put it all together eventually. Talk about constant "wow" moments.

So you don't believe in organized Religion. Are you spiritual at all?

Comment

born and raised catholic... 13 years of catholic school... even spent time at one of them run by nuns private schools for a bit..

catholicism is my base.. but my dad, not catholic... he's hindu.... not a good one... he's eaten beef as long as i remember..

so openmindedness to religion is just kind of part of me

im all for any religious beliefs that encourage people to be decent human beings.. no matter how wacky it may seem... hell, mormons have the WACKIEST religion... but have you met any of them? They're usually really awesome people..

hell.... if somebody told me the movie "Goonies" was their religion, and it taught them to accept people who are different from them and the importance of loyalty and friendship... i'd be all about that

screw it... Goonies is my new religion...

Comment

When one of them gets their own desert musical along with tanks we'll talk. For now I can't accept your beliefs in Gooniesanity.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I personally think the mass media has been waging war on Religion for a while now. Someone, somewhere is pushing their agenda but whatever. At the end of the day there needs to be a level of respect and tolerance in other people's beliefs. Whether you are a believer or non-believer.

Dustin Parkes sounds like a sad little man. He just needs to shut the hell up if all he can do is put a guy down for being comfortable in his beliefs. Josh Hamilton did not say anything offensive. Let him be. Parkes basically said "I respect Josh Hamilton for blah, blah, blah but I just hope no one minds me disrespecting him." Right. If you're going to be ballsy enough to write something like this then go all in, otherwise you sound weak. What about Religion is "reasonable" if you don't believe? This article is poorly thought out.
              the only reason the article is "poorly thought out" is that it actually isn't.

you have to be so careful now a days or else shit will blow up in the media, you'll end up having to apologize, your bosses will succumb to the pressure and fire you, and even if they don't people will label the whole company as that of what one writer's opinions are.

the site will lose a ton of readers and probably shut down or may make one last ditch effort and fire you anyways. That's why you have to make your words soft and sweet and that doesn't even work sometimes.

The only way you can go all out and get away with it is if you put a disclaimer citing that "your opinions do not necessarily express the opinion of your company and other members of it."

it takes something that very few in the media still have and that's balls, even to say something like that.

How pathetic were those pussys that Don Cherry made fun of and filed a lawsuit that would not be cancelled without an apology!

I give the man props for what all men should have, but, cease to present and that's balls.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                The only way you can go all out and get away with it is if you put a disclaimer citing that "your opinions do not necessarily express the opinion of your company and other members of it."
                He didn't do that. He wimped out. He basically said "I respect the hell out of the man but now listen while I totally disrespect him". It wasn't a disclaimer. It was a guy who wanted to stir the pot but didn't have the balls to do it right.

it takes something that very few in the media still have and that's balls, even to say something like that.
                I don't think so at all. I think he wanted to come across as "edgy" but instead portrayed himself as weak.

How pathetic were those pussys that Don Cherry made fun of and filed a lawsuit that would not be cancelled without an apology!
                I'm not sure what Don said but if it was slander then they had a right. I don't know what you're referring to and so I guessed slander. Most people don't hire lawyers and file suits unless some sort of law has been breached. Most people don't cave like you're describing unless they've violated laws. I like Don but he's said a lot of stupid things in his day. You'll have to elaborate.

Comment

the only time i'd ever be against somebody being vocal about their religion is when their religion makes them a douchebag.

god is an abstract construct. if it wasn't, everyone would agree on one religion. but what people should take away from religion is the same for all of them... there are certain ways to be that make you a decent person.. there are certain ways to be that make you a dick.. don't be a dick.

it's pretty simple. stealing is bad, don't do it. if you do it, you're a dick.

i'm sure the bible/koran/etc etc say as much... in different words... but basically what i said

but the minute you use religion as a soapbox to hate.... go f$%$ yourself. you missed the point, and you're the dick.

but ya... bottomline, hamilton ain't being a dick about it... so whatever... let him say whatever
                  i can't support your statements as much as i'd like to. seeing as you don't support them, yourself.

Hamilton seems like one of those douchebags who went so far the other way with the drinking and such only to all of the sudden go deep the other way and be all about god.

it's utter douchebaggery in my opinion. Although, god supposedly forgives all of his pupils, you expect me to believe that he's going to grant someone who drank the "fire water" (as some would cal)l, so much, he basically ruined his life if it weren't for his athletic ability, a wish or prayer.

When all these other wishes/prayers from far better people than Josh Hamilton, it would seem, go unanswered throughout their entire life. Something doesn't add up here.

I have to be honest, god is whoever you beleive him to be, whoever you study in your religion, whoever you pray to when you go to church.

But, one thing I think god is not. That most seem to be under the illusion or dillusion that he is, is a genie. If you do, then we might as well all start freakin' prayin' to Robin Williams.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

god is an abstract construct. if it wasn't, everyone would agree on one religion. but what people should take away from religion is the same for all of them... there are certain ways to be that make you a decent person.. there are certain ways to be that make you a dick.. don't be a dick.

it's pretty simple. stealing is bad, don't do it. if you do it, you're a dick.

i'm sure the bible/koran/etc etc say as much... in different words... but basically what i said

but ya... bottomline, hamilton ain't being a dick about it... so whatever... let him say whatever

i keep waiting for it to happen.... i download ALOT... but not even a warning letter... not sure if the methods i use are safer.. i pretty much only DL from a private torrent site and megaupload.... im not an I.T. person though... im not sure how them catching us works exactly... if they flag filenames... or certain sites.. or the file checksums..

i just know i havent paid for cable or watched a movie in the theatre in a loooooooooooooong time
                    i'm asuming when you say "stealing "pirating" is not part of that.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      He didn't do that. He wimped out. He basically said "I respect the hell out of the man but now listen while I totally disrespect him". It wasn't a disclaimer. It was a guy who wanted to stir the pot but didn't have the balls to do it right.

I never said he put a disclaimer. I said in general or at least i meant in general.

I don't think so at all. I think he wanted to come across as "edgy" but instead portrayed himself as weak.

also possible. maybe, he was looking for a few extar readers and a bonus.

I'm not sure what Don said but if it was slander then they had a right. I don't know what you're referring to and so I guessed slander. Most people don't hire lawyers and file suits unless some sort of law has been breached. Most people don't cave like you're describing unless they've violated laws. I like Don but he's said a lot of stupid things in his day. You'll have to elaborate.
                      i'll try to find the video. he was just basically calling them fake tough guys and i think losers. he basically said stuff that not even a little kid would get offended enough to do anything about it.

here we go:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp14246

Comment

i can't support your statements as much as i'd like to. seeing as you don't support them, yourself.

Hamilton seems like one of those douchebags who went so far the other way with the drinking and such only to all of the sudden go deep the other way and be all about god.
                        So you're a douche bag if you kick alcohol problems and part of what gives you the strength to do it is a deepened faith in an ancient belief system which over half the world practices?

Although, god supposedly forgives all of his pupils, you expect me to believe that he's going to grant someone who drank the "fire water" (as some would cal)l, so much, he basically ruined his life if it weren't for his athletic ability, a wish or prayer.
                        It's not supposedly. The belief is, if you're Catholic anyway, that if you atone for your sins then you are forgiven. You have to mean it though. One would think that an all knowing, all powerful being would be able to call your bluff and win ten out of ten times. The problem here is logic in nature. You don't believe in Christianity so, I hate to say it, but no shit, of course you don't believe in forgiveness of sins. You don't even believe in sins for crying out loud. Tell us something we don't know.

When all these other wishes/prayers from far better people than Josh Hamilton, it would seem, go unanswered throughout their entire life. Something doesn't add up here.
                        It could be you. Many spiritual people, especially those who don't believe in Religion, do commonly believe that this material world is a place where souls come to learn. Simple as that. You're heavily cemented in the material mindset so I expect that to totally bounce off you. I mean you can't place that on a scale or clock it with a radar gun. Everything in this world (sarcasm alert) isn't as concrete and air tight as Evolution or the Theory of relativity or man made global warming catastrophes.

I have to be honest, god is whoever you beleive him to be, whoever you study in your religion, whoever you pray to when you go to church.
                        If you believe in a God and you get past the immature "me vs. them" mentality that is used by very crafty people to insight violence, then you'll get to a place where you will find that for the most part most of the modern religions share the same beliefs. Their ceremonies are different. Their holidays are different. Their practices are different but their underlining message is the same.

But, one thing I think god is not. That most seem to be under the illusion or dillusion that he is, is a genie. If you do, then we might as well all start freakin' prayin' to Robin Williams.
                        "Most"? Care to post a link to the study you're citing that from? I'm assuming you have a study seeing as you're a proponent of backing everything up with data you've collected and then built models with.

i'll try to find the video. he was just basically calling them fake tough guys and i think losers. he basically said stuff that not even a little kid would get offended enough to do anything about it.

here we go:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp14246
                        I can't look at this where I am right now but I was watching coaches corner three or four weeks ago and on that show he had to do an apology because basically the week before he was suggesting some fighters, past and present, were drug users. It was totally inaccurate and I would have called it blatant slander if was not very obvious that he did not do any research before blurting it out... Not that the courts would have got caught up on his intentions.

Comment

i'm asuming when you say "stealing "pirating" is not part of that.
                          i could be going to hell for it, but when i'm stealing from a massive movie studio who's sole desire is to rape my pockets to make millionaires out of people whose only real skill is pretending they're other people.. i really dont care about them... if they wanted me to care, they wouldn't make a 3D harold and kumar movie just to grab an extra $5 out of everyones pockets...

i'm totally going to see it in 3D though... because............. i like weed.

if i can pinpoint the specific person that truly takes a loss from losing out on my $15.... then i'll feel bad

and if their product is TRULY deserving of the praise of my hard earned dollars... they'll get something out of me.. the 1000 or so DVDs/Blu-rays i own are proof of that

Comment

I'm not sure Jesus touched on intellectual property. You might be able to argue your case at the Pearly Gates.

A lot of religion and spirituality comes down the your own conscience. I personally believe that unless you have mental issues you are able to tell what is right or what is wrong. How much of the wrong negatively impacts what comes next? Damned if I know and if you don't believe in Hell then what do you care? I do like my 3D movies though and I don't believe in Hell by the way... Unless we're talking bumper to bumper dead stop traffic jams.

Comment

plus, i never claimed i wasnt a dick... just how my belief system helps me distinguish one from the other

i'm totally a dick.

Comment

LOL, then you're part of the majority.

Comment

Working...
                                X