The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
    They were going to allow used games to be traded in digitally. It was a marketing move by sony and it worked. But at the same time, they are really whats holding us back from the "future of gaming" as you said yourself because they were unprepared for this generation and they are unwilling to take risks. Really, as far as hardware and software goes, to a casual gamer, all it seems like they did was update their graphics card and add some features that the xbox 360 had. MS is at least trying to push boundaries, look into the future, take risks and try to be innovative.
    You do realize that Sony invented Blu Ray right? Sony is always going to be one step ahead of Microsoft. Its a Japanese company for god sake.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      You can borrow it from your friend and use it on your Xbone though, correct?

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
      yes you can trade discs, borrow discs, and buy used discs on xbox

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        You do realize that Sony invented Blu Ray right? Sony is always going to be one step ahead of Microsoft. Its a Japanese company for god sake.
        if that's your thing then great. To me, blu ray is fairly insignificant, the first thing I owned that supported blu ray is my xbox one ironically enough.

Sony is a hardware company, Microsoft is a software and internet giant. If we can all agree that the future of gaming is cloud gaming, then I believe that Microsoft will always be ahead of sony. It's already quite apparent that their online capabilities in the 360 and xbox one are more advanced than the ps3 and ps4 in that area.

edit: also, blu ray will be obsolete very soon as everything moves into the digital realm, it will be as recognizable as an 8-track player. So much for the future.
        Last edited by Machine; Sat Nov 30, 2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Sony acquired the leading edge cloud gaming service provider and plans to have Sony games on all devices in some way (tablets, mobile phones, smart TV's, etc.). They will be cloud gaming prior gens to PS4 in 2014. Almost all playstation games all the way back to PS1 can be purchased digitally in their online store right now and that's been there since nearly the beginning of PSN. That's thousands of console games, nearly 20 years of gaming digitally right at your fingertips.

We get it, you really admire every last thing that that Microsoft does and you think everything else is inferior. We understand.

Comment

Sony acquired the leading edge cloud gaming service provider and plans to have Sony games on all devices in some way (tablets, mobile phones, smart TV's, etc.). They will be cloud gaming prior gens to PS4 in 2014. Almost all playstation games all the way back to PS1 can be purchased digitally in their online store right now and that's been there since nearly the beginning of PSN. That's thousands of console games, nearly 20 years of gaming digitally right at your fingertips.

We get it, you really admire every last thing that that Microsoft does and you think everything else is inferior. We understand.

well we'll just have to see how that goes.

BTW all of this started because I said I was excited to get an xbox when it came out. I didn't say anything about PS4 initially until you and noprops expressed your opinions or at least implied that the xbox was inferior. I believe I was even called crazy. I probably should have saved my time and just said "I get it, you really admire every last thing that that Sony does and you think everything else is inferior. I understand."
            Last edited by Machine; Sat Nov 30, 2013, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
              well we'll just have to see how that goes.

BTW all of this started because I said I was excited to get an xbox when it came out. I didn't say anything about PS4 initially until you and noprops expressed your opinions or at least implied that the xbox was inferior. I believe I was even called crazy. I probably should have saved my time and just said "I get it, you really admire every last thing that that Sony does and you think everything else is inferior. I understand."
              Thing is. Microsoft is inferior to Sony in terms of gaming. I don't trust Americans with two things: Gaming consoles, and Motorized Vehicles.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Thing is. Microsoft is inferior to Sony in terms of gaming. I don't trust Americans with two things: Gaming consoles, and Motorized Vehicles.
                Most people who have used both consoles for playing online or multiplayer would strongly disagree. Even for offline campaign modes I've read that framerates are a problem on Certain PS4 games and play better on Xbox, cod ghosts was one example that came out in articles once the embargoes were lifted. So in terms of gaming and not just trying to fit as many pixels as possible on a screen, I believe Sony is inferior.

Anyway, I've said my piece, my intention wasn't to bash the PS4 at all but some arguments or statements I read seemed a bit ridiculous so I felt I should respond. Like I said before, a lot of it comes down to personal preference of exclusive games and certain features. Both are great gaming consoles so to each his own. I hope you're happy or will be happy with your PS4's, I know I'm more than happy with my Xbox.

You can have this thread back.
                Last edited by Machine; Tue Dec 3, 2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  My friend has it. It's really pretty and the stuff happening around you is actually pretty incredible but the game itself at its core is insanely monotonous. it's essentially just a brawler and once you get about halfway through that's pretty much it for what you can do. the slow-mo "fatalities" are awesome at first but gets soooo tired after a while.

it's too bad you can't really rent games anymore, this is the definition of a renter not a buyer.
                  I see, thanks

So by brawler I'm assuming you mean it's something like double dragon or god of war, games where you mostly mash the buttons and insanely cool stuff happens. I'm cool with that those are my type of games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
                    I see, thanks

So by brawler I'm assuming you mean it's something like double dragon or god of war, games where you mostly mash the buttons and insanely cool stuff happens. I'm cool with that those are my type of games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Similar, its more like batman arkham asylum or arkham city where you really have to know when to block except there isn't a prompt for it, you have to be paying attention to each enemies movements. And you have to break the guard of some enemies before you can do damage. So technically you cant just mash the buttons and kill everyone, there is a method to the madness. The melee and fighting mechanics are pretty awesome and make you feel badass but i'd agree with ceez, it does get monotonous after a while.

Comment

• GTA5 finished, next up?

So, after about six or seven weeks I've finally finished GTA5. I enjoyed most of it, but I thought the ending was sort of anti-climatic. The last heist didn't seem all that epic either, and I found it easier than some of the other missions... Anyway, the online mode doesn't really appeal to me too much so I think I'll pass on that for now. I give the game a 9/10 entertainment-wise. This isn't the GTA that left the biggest impression on me(reserved for San Andreas) but it was a fun ride.

I noticed that Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is on sale to PS+ members this week: $10 for the regular version, $15 for the version with extra goodies. I've not played a FF game since FF10 but I've read the reviews on this one and it looks interesting. I've spent about 30 hours in both WOW and SWTOR in the past and enjoyed them to some degree. I got bored after a while but I figure I could probably beat the main quest in about a month and move on. So for $10-15, it seems like a good deal for the game. I noticed it's on PS3 & PS4. It's also on PC but oddly enough, not on Xbox 360 or Xbone. Interesting...

Comment

• So I bought FFXIV. For $10 and a 30 day free trail online it's well worth the price admission. Score again thanks to PS+.

Comment

So, after about six or seven weeks I've finally finished GTA5. I enjoyed most of it, but I thought the ending was sort of anti-climatic. The last heist didn't seem all that epic either, and I found it easier than some of the other missions... Anyway, the online mode doesn't really appeal to me too much so I think I'll pass on that for now. I give the game a 9/10 entertainment-wise. This isn't the GTA that left the biggest impression on me(reserved for San Andreas) but it was a fun ride.
                          I think you should give GTA Online a try .. you can tell its actually what they made the game for, as opposed to the story mode. Its far deeper and far more immersive.
                          Even just playing by yourself 'online'.

Comment

I noticed that Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is on sale to PS+ members this week: $10 for the regular version, $15 for the version with extra goodies. I've not played a FF game since FF10 but I've read the reviews on this one and it looks interesting. I've spent about 30 hours in both WOW and SWTOR in the past and enjoyed them to some degree. I got bored after a while but I figure I could probably beat the main quest in about a month and move on. So for $10-15, it seems like a good deal for the game. I noticed it's on PS3 & PS4. It's also on PC but oddly enough, not on Xbox 360 or Xbone. Interesting...
                            Assassin's Creed Black Flag is very enjoyable. Just wrapped up the main missions on Monday (just in time for Xmas, when I'll get GTAV and Kingdom Hearts) and the game play is good, the story is good and being a pirate is just plain fun.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              Assassin's Creed Black Flag is very enjoyable. Just wrapped up the main missions on Monday (just in time for Xmas, when I'll get GTAV and Kingdom Hearts) and the game play is good, the story is good and being a pirate is just plain fun.
                              How was Black Flag? I've been a huge AC fan since the beginning, but was turned off by AC3 (I loved the spec-ops style stealth needed in the early games, but felt AC3 was more of brawler-combat type game). I also wasn't a huge fan of the naval missions, hence my reluctance to get Black Flag yet (after pre-ordering the last 3 games).

Comment

• Picked up Gran Turismo 6 on preorder; Pretty bad ass, but not quite what I expected .. a little disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                                X