ESPN Opening Tips: Toronto Raptors 2010-11 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Opening Tips: Toronto Raptors 2010-11 Preview

ESPN just posted this on insider previewing the Atlantic division. This was the discussion on the Raps.

Scoutspeak
    “ [DeRozan] can average 15-17 points this year and put himself in the conversation with his classmates, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings."

"All you need to know is in their first name -- they're a foreign team. They're like a team in Europe with a few good American players, and that won't cut it in this league.

"I do love DeMar DeRozan. He can be a superstar and reach the Vince Carter level. He's a freak athletically, a terror in transition, he can guard, he's competitive and he's got toughness and swagger. He can average 15-17 points this year and put himself in the conversation with his classmates, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings."

"[Andrea] Bargnani is a nice big man who can stretch defenses, but Jose Calderon is nothing more than a really nice backup. If [Leandro] Barbosa plays like he did two years ago, he could be a nice addition. He's got to get his confidence back."

Best-case scenario: "DeRozan emerges as a future star they can build around and they win 32 games."

Worst-case scenario: "26 wins."

Thorpe's breakout player: Amir Johnson, F

The Raptors have a number of young players who will get ample opportunities to step forward and become serious contributors. But much is expected of Johnson, thanks to his five-year, $34 million deal signed this summer, and with lottery pick Ed Davis recovering from knee surgery, Johnson will have as many minutes as he can stomach to start the season. He looks to be a guy who can average 10 and 10, and while those numbers seem pedestrian when compared to Chris Bosh, they would be welcomed by the Toronto coaching staff and front office.

Haberstroh's salary spotlight: Andrea Bargnani, C
    Age: 25 | 2010-11 salary: $8.5 million | Projected PER: 14.3

The jury is out whether Bargnani will ever live up to No. 1 overall expectations, but the long-awaited verdict should arrive at the end of this upcoming season. Bosh has left Toronto, which shifts the spotlight squarely on the Italian big man who averaged 17.2 points last season.

Bargnani can hit treys and block a few shots in the post, but he struggles with just about everything else. In fact, he had the lowest steal rate among qualified players last season, one of the lowest assist rates for a regular center and, to top it all off, his rebounding numbers measure up more closely to those of a shooting guard. With five years and $50 million left on his contract, the Raptors will need to see some improvement from their franchise player

Raps4L wrote: View Post
    "I do love DeMar DeRozan. He can be a superstar and reach the Vince Carter level. He's a freak athletically, a terror in transition, he can guard, he's competitive and he's got toughness and swagger. He can average 15-17 points this year and put himself in the conversation with his classmates, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings."
    Wow that is high praise - and not really based on reality. The only statement I agree with is that he is a freak athletcially. He does have the occassional nice dunk in transition, but if he gets stopped he usually makes a terrible decision with the ball. I have seen limited competitiveness and zero toughness or swagger. In fact, he looks a little bit sheepish at times.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see Derozan ever being a full time starter let alone all-star.

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post
      Wow that is high praise - and not really based on reality. The only statement I agree with is that he is a freak athletcially. He does have the occassional nice dunk in transition, but if he gets stopped he usually makes a terrible decision with the ball. I have seen limited competitiveness and zero toughness or swagger. In fact, he looks a little bit sheepish at times.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see Derozan ever being a full time starter let alone all-star.
      I think you are really being too critical of Derozan, unlike alot of the players we had in the past and current players like Barney, he is consistent with his offensive game, its the defencive side this year that I hope he improves on.

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post

at first I tend to agree and to be honest that thought has been crossing my mind more often with each preseason game. then I remind myself he just turned 21 in august. time will tell.

Comment

ESPN Insider: Johnson to breakout, worst-case 26 wins

ESPN did their thing again:

TORONTO RAPTORS
          The Raptors have a potential star on the roster, but they will need much more time before they're ready to compete with the rest of the conference.

Scoutspeak

“[DeRozan] can average 15-17 points this year and put himself in the conversation with his classmates, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings.”

"All you need to know is in their first name -- they're a foreign team. They're like a team in Europe with a few good American players, and that won't cut it in this league.

"I do love DeMar DeRozan . He can be a superstar and reach the Vince Carter level. He's a freak athletically, a terror in transition, he can guard, he's competitive and he's got toughness and swagger. He can average 15-17 points this year and put himself in the conversation with his classmates, Tyreke Evans , Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings .

"[Andrea] Bargnani is a nice big man who can stretch defenses, but Jose Calderon is nothing more than a really nice backup. If [Leandro] Barbosa plays like he did two years ago, he could be a nice addition. He's got to get his confidence back."

Best-case scenario: "DeRozan emerges as a future star they can build around and they win 32 games."

Worst-case scenario: "26 wins."

-- As told to Chris Broussard

Thorpe's breakout player: Amir Johnson , F

The Raptors have a number of young players who will get ample opportunities to step forward and become serious contributors. But much is expected of Johnson, thanks to his five-year, $34 million deal signed this summer, and with lottery pick Ed Davis recovering from knee surgery, Johnson will have as many minutes as he can stomach to start the season. He looks to be a guy who can average 10 and 10, and while those numbers seem pedestrian when compared to Chris Bosh , they would be welcomed by the Toronto coaching staff and front office.

Haberstroh's salary spotlight: Andrea Bargnani , C

Age: 25 | 2010-11 salary: $8.5 million | Projected PER: 14.3

The jury is out whether Bargnani will ever live up to No. 1 overall expectations, but the long-awaited verdict should arrive at the end of this upcoming season. Bosh has left Toronto, which shifts the spotlight squarely on the Italian big man who averaged 17.2 points last season.

Bargnani can hit treys and block a few shots in the post, but he struggles with just about everything else. In fact, he had the lowest steal rate among qualified players last season, one of the lowest assist rates for a regular center and, to top it all off, his rebounding numbers measure up more closely to those of a shooting guard. With five years and $50 million left on his contract, the Raptors will need to see some improvement from their franchise player.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            at first I tend to agree and to be honest that thought has been crossing my mind more often with each preseason game. then I remind myself he just turned 21 in august. time will tell.
            I realize he is young - however, killer instinct and a will-to-win are not traits you develop as you age, they are typically characteristics you have had for a good part of your life. The great players have that undefinable intangible - the thing that makes them great.... and they have it before they enter the league. I don't see it in Derozan. Yes his jump shot may get better, and he will definitely improve his defence, and maybe his ball control and passing will strengthen; but even with all of those improvements he would still be missing that all-star quality.

I just hope the Raptors don't get caught sitting around waiting for Derozan to improve for the next four or five years - like they have done with Bargnani.

Comment

I have to agree with a lot of what this scout said. Not surprising seeing how this guy's job is to be in the field, analyzing each team to great detail and then reporting back to the GM. If anybody is going to be on the mark it should be the field guys like him. The wins predictions seems about right. I think 32 is going to be tough to reach as the team is now but this roster isn't about to stop changing right now with that big TPE on board (now through to the deadline).

Comment

I like DeMar but he's nowhere close to VC...even athletically i dont think hes on par with Vince and until he can stick shots and work on range he is Gerald Green status and i am a fan of his....Vince was special when he broke into the league and you could see it right away how he attacked guys and made big shots...DeRozan isnt anywhere close to that kind of swagger yet....

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
                  I like DeMar but he's nowhere close to VC...even athletically i dont think hes on par with Vince and until he can stick shots and work on range he is Gerald Green status and i am a fan of his....Vince was special when he broke into the league and you could see it right away how he attacked guys and made big shots...DeRozan isnt anywhere close to that kind of swagger yet....
                  Vince played 3 years of college ball before he came into the league. DeRozan just completed his first season and is getting adjusted to the league. IF he can put up 15-17 ppg, he'll be well into making the Vince comparisons somewhat justified. The difference is that DeRozan works hard to get better and Vince just coasted.
                  Demar shouldn't be considered anywhere near Gerald Green status. Green was not coachable and never wanted to put in the work to improve his game.

Comment

DeRozan needs to learn how to shoot a long jumpshot/3s before you start comparing him to VC.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      Vince played 3 years of college ball before he came into the league. DeRozan just completed his first season and is getting adjusted to the league. IF he can put up 15-17 ppg, he'll be well into making the Vince comparisons somewhat justified. The difference is that DeRozan works hard to get better and Vince just coasted.
                      Demar shouldn't be considered anywhere near Gerald Green status. Green was not coachable and never wanted to put in the work to improve his game.
                      15-17 PPG still dont make that a comparison...Vince was a top 3 player in the league by his 3rd season (Shaq,AI,Vince)
                      he needs to make shots,and dominate games if he wants to be in that discussion,something he hasnt shown yet....Vince didnt coast when he came into the league...he got lazy after his 4th season in the league after he was already a bonafied superstar...

Who cares whos coachable and YOU dont know who puts in work....every player in the NBA puts in work thats how they got into the L, IF DeMar dont develop a consistent J thats where he headed....Dont forget Gerald Green was projected to be the second coming of T Mac

Comment

15-17 PPG still dont make that a comparison...Vince was a top 3 player in the league by his 3rd season (Shaq,AI,Vince)
                        It brings him a lot closer. The scout didn't say DeMar is going to be a carbon copy of VC. Also, different players grow at different paces. Jason Kidd was one of the best PGs in the league from day one where as it took Steven Nash years to reach that level of play. Key thing is, both dominated at certain points in their careers. DeMar's may have a bigger window before he plateaus when compared to Vince. You can't predict things like that but the similarities in his game compared to a young Vince Carter, even if the stats aren't there yet, are obvious.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          It brings him a lot closer. The scout didn't say DeMar is going to be a carbon copy of VC. Also, different players grow at different paces. Jason Kidd was one of the best PGs in the league from day one where as it took Steven Nash years to reach that level of play. Key thing is, both dominated at certain points in their careers. DeMar's may have a bigger window before he plateaus when compared to Vince. You can't predict things like that but the similarities in his game compared to a young Vince Carter, even if the stats aren't there yet, are obvious.
                          Actually his EXACT words were reach VC status and be a superstar which would be basically a carbon copy...

nash comparison dont work cuz he didnt get to play his first 3 years in the league playing behind Kidd...DD is going to get the ball and opportunities this year to show and prove....truth is elite SG and SF dont take years to develop like bigs..they show almost immediately with playing time...name me any elite 2 that took several years to develop having gotten adequate playing time ?

and yea i can predict because you can see if as guy has it or doesnt....DeMar has great physical tools and athleticism is def top 10 in the league but as long as that jumper is broke,i wont even entertain the comparison....vince came out of the gates on a bad team crushing...you KNEW he was going to be a problem...

Comment

I still see TO from 15-25 as is given the Triano effect.....but that's why they play the games...

AJ looks to be the 1st big off the bench even once Bad Luck Davis(starter) comes back healthy.

DD needs top lay with a top level pg in order to get the most out his talent in my mind as Jose, Banks & Jack are all ideally back ups in the NBA.

Once DD's handles get up and his J is more consistent he will be a threat to score anywhere on the court and/or get to the ft line. I don't know if he'll ever be a good as VC- time will tell.....

Comment

name me any elite 2 that took several years to develop having gotten adequate playing time ?
                              kobe bryant
                              tracy mcgrady

that should end the discussion right there, but these players also made all-star teams as 2's or 3's in the last decade and posted similar to worse statistical rookie years in similar playing time:

danny granger
                              joe johnson
                              manu ginobili
                              ray allen
                              allan houston
                              josh howard
                              gerald wallace
                              stephen jackson (never made an all star team though).

incidentally all those players in the second tier were older than demar in their rookie season.

flip your question around though and name me one elite two guard who came into the league one year removed from high school and just lit it the fuck up?

Comment

Working...
                              X