This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Andrea's Game

Let's discuss which areas we think Andrea should be improving in his game this off-season.

Marz in Toronto:

As a coach, what would you tell Andrea Bargnani to work on this summer? From what I can see he needs help in rebounding, help defense, and offensive consistency.

Anthony Macri:

I think giving him specific challenges would be great - like challenge to get one offensive tip-in per game, etc. Help defense is an abstract idea - you can do some of that in individual workouts, but it's more critical that he focus on what his team defense principles are. I would also challenge him to focus on expanding his fake game (i.e., his Nowitzki moves - shot fakes, freeze fakes, etc.). Finally, I want to see if he can be open to more physical play.
    The "fake game" is interesting and not something I really considered until now. Everyone knows about Andrea's head-and-shoulder fake at the top of the three point line, but he doesn't have much else to that facet of his game. For someone being modeled after Nowitzki (or at least, compared to him on several occasions) this could do wonders for his offensive consistency by creating better opportunities for himself and others.

Assuming PJ is our new "defensive" coach, perhaps getting him in there with Andrea to teach the new defensive principles that will be taught in training camp allows Bargnani to get a head start.

I like the idea of Andrea's potential offensively. He does have that big man's killer crossover. Hahah... albeit a slow version of the crossover. I think IMO that Andrea is going to improve defensively this year. I don't have any facts or any stats to back this up other than his improved statistics over the years, but I just have this gut feeling. I think it may have something to do with having PJ on board (too bad the initials don't stand for Phil Jackson) hehe...
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

1) Conditioning:

I think the major problem with AB is the lack of conditioning. I think he still can not play a full NBA game while giving 100%. He needs to improve that so he can fight for position in the post and drive on regular basis.

2) Help Defense:

Raptors Coaching staff should have provided AB with ton and ton of Video and commentary from the season to show him where he did make a mistake and where he did good. This kid needs to become a film Junkie ( like Kobe ) to better understand the defense in NBA.

3) Work on rebounding

Comment

Strength & conditioning, vertical leap.
        Post game, high and low.

Not really sure how he can improve his rebounding and help defense in the offseason. Improved strength & conditioning should atleast give him the infrastructure he needs to rebound.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          Let's discuss which areas we think Andrea should be improving in his game this off-season.

The "fake game" is interesting and not something I really considered until now. Everyone knows about Andrea's head-and-shoulder fake at the top of the three point line, but he doesn't have much else to that facet of his game. For someone being modeled after Nowitzki (or at least, compared to him on several occasions) this could do wonders for his offensive consistency by creating better opportunities for himself and others.

Assuming PJ is our new "defensive" coach, perhaps getting him in there with Andrea to teach the new defensive principles that will be taught in training camp allows Bargnani to get a head start.
          Please post a link to the article. We need to cite anything we use.

Comment

Sorry, it was a chat that can be found here:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=992

Comment

Trading him to another team I don't like.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
              X