Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoud Raptors pursue a reputed. proven Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If casey goes..BC must go first, all the hired coaches under his tenure have been uneventful.

I don't believe its the coaching, its the players brought in. We have had countless coaches since Sam Mitchell left. If the ownership is serious about winning they will start with a new GM. BC's trades have been brutal. Casey needs defensive players to plug in, i find a few Raps have already improved defensively though.

Comment

I agree with the others. No point making a coaching change if Colangelo's the one making the decision. Stick with Casey until the new GM comes in.

As for potential Casey replacements, just say no to Mike Brown...the most overrated coach in recent memory. If you think our offensive execution is bad now, Brown would make it worse with his genius "give-the-ball-to-LeBron" strategy.

But I do like the idea of Stan Van Gunday, Nate McMillan, Jerry Sloan, Hubie Brown, Mo Cheeks, or maybe even Eddie Jordan.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I agree with the others. No point making a coaching change if Colangelo's the one making the decision. Stick with Casey until the new GM comes in.

As for potential Casey replacements, just say no to Mike Brown...the most overrated coach in recent memory. If you think our offensive execution is bad now, Brown would make it worse with his genius "give-the-ball-to-LeBron" strategy.

But I do like the idea of Stan Van Gunday, Nate McMillan, Jerry Sloan, Hubie Brown, Mo Cheeks, or maybe even Eddie Jordan.
        So glad someone sees the awfulness of Brown's coaching style.

One name I might add onto that list, and obviously this is with the assumption that he'll leave his current job soon, is Doug Collins. Other than that, I'm ok with most of those names except....

I don't like Nate too much. His teams have also had pretty unoriginal offensive sets, and I think his personality wears on his players.

Also, I don't think Hubie Brown can coach anymore. Not to be an agist, but dude can barely keep pace as a commentator, so I can't imagine him managing a game anymore.

I'd be willing to give a shot to either Cheeks or Jordan a shot. Both have had success and both kind of suffered from messed up situations in their head coaching stints.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          So glad someone sees the awfulness of Brown's coaching style.

One name I might add onto that list, and obviously this is with the assumption that he'll leave his current job soon, is Doug Collins. Other than that, I'm ok with most of those names except....

I don't like Nate too much. His teams have also had pretty unoriginal offensive sets, and I think his personality wears on his players.

Also, I don't think Hubie Brown can coach anymore. Not to be an agist, but dude can barely keep pace as a commentator, so I can't imagine him managing a game anymore.

I'd be willing to give a shot to either Cheeks or Jordan a shot. Both have had success and both kind of suffered from messed up situations in their head coaching stints.
          Love Hubie Brown as a commentator. He gives incredible insight, and he teaches the game while doing his an analysis. He has the potential to be a decent head coach, but like you said, the pace may become somewhat of a problem.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

A new coach makes no sense without a change at the top, but if a coaching change was needed I wouldn't mind going after Larry Brown. Yes he's old, but in his 31! years of coaching, he's only had 6 years where his team played less than .500, and two of those years were with Charlotte.

He coached the Pistons to a championship.. the same team that didn't have a true super star. He also coached AI who in a lot of ways plays like Lowry (or at least the Lowry that I was hoping we got after the trade).

May not be a long term solution because of his age but he should help turn this franchise around at least to a somewhat respectable level.

Comment

Doug Collins would turn this team around definitely. He's the type of hard nose coach we need to set some guys straight

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                A new coach makes no sense without a change at the top, but if a coaching change was needed I wouldn't mind going after Larry Brown. Yes he's old, but in his 31! years of coaching, he's only had 6 years where his team played less than .500, and two of those years were with Charlotte.

He coached the Pistons to a championship.. the same team that didn't have a true super star. He also coached AI who in a lot of ways plays like Lowry (or at least the Lowry that I was hoping we got after the trade).

May not be a long term solution because of his age but he should help turn this franchise around at least to a somewhat respectable level.
                The issue with Larry Brown is that he has a reputation for not relying on his young players too often....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  The issue with Larry Brown is that he has a reputation for not relying on his young players too often....
                  Agreed. He's someone you bring into a situation with proven pieces and a foundation that's already set. Don't see him being a great coach to build a situation.

Comment

Agreed. He's someone you bring into a situation with proven pieces and a foundation that's already set. Don't see him being a great coach to build a situation.
                    You could say the same about SVG or Sloan though. I just think Brown could be a realistic candidate considering he's not working right now and has no issues about working for small market teams (coached Indiana, Detroit, San Antonio, Philly).

The team has no picks so won't have a rookie next year (most likely). When Brown first coached Philly they had AI (a rookie) and Stackhouse (sophomore) and they played 39.4 and 34.0 mpg respectively.

When he first coached Detroit they had Prince (a rookie) and he played 32.9 mpg.

In Indiana, Dale Davis as a sophomore played the most minutes at 34.7 mpg.

When he went to Charlotte he decided not to play his young guys, but do you blame him? They had Morrison, Shannon Brown, Jared Dudley and Ryan Hollins as their young guys. Not guys that blow you away.

I'm not entirely convinced after looking at the data that he prefers his vets over his young guys.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Doug Collins would turn this team around definitely. He's the type of hard nose coach we need to set some guys straight
                      Doug Collins always loses the team in the second year. Just look at what's happening in Philly now.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

IMO, Colangelo has to go 'come hell or high water' before we even talk about a coaching change. You see, replacing Casey will replace pretty much his whole coaching staff & I do believe that the locker room atmosphere is a direct result of proper policing in the locker room by the coaches.

I do think he needs a lead assistant coach to take care of the offensive side of the floor. I would be sad to see Tom Sterner and Scott Roth go because I can pretty much give them credit to the improvement of an Ed Davis and Amir Johnson. I can only imagine what work they would put on JV. Roth did coach Pau Gasol before so there is a definite portfolio with him as a big man coach.

Bottom line: COLANGELO HAS TO GO. Give Dwane Casey a good balance in the roster and let's see what he can do in his third season w/ a tactician sitting right beside him.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          You could say the same about SVG or Sloan though. I just think Brown could be a realistic candidate considering he's not working right now and has no issues about working for small market teams (coached Indiana, Detroit, San Antonio, Philly).

The team has no picks so won't have a rookie next year (most likely). When Brown first coached Philly they had AI (a rookie) and Stackhouse (sophomore) and they played 39.4 and 34.0 mpg respectively.

When he first coached Detroit they had Prince (a rookie) and he played 32.9 mpg.

In Indiana, Dale Davis as a sophomore played the most minutes at 34.7 mpg.

When he went to Charlotte he decided not to play his young guys, but do you blame him? They had Morrison, Shannon Brown, Jared Dudley and Ryan Hollins as their young guys. Not guys that blow you away.

I'm not entirely convinced after looking at the data that he prefers his vets over his young guys.
                          Ok, fine, but I still don't like the way he coaches anyway. I still never feel like he's very good for player development, something I feel both Sloan and SVG are very good at, and he is also a prima donna and a quitter. He treats coaching jobs like he's dating....he sees one that excites him, goes to it, enjoys it while it's good, and quits the second it starts to be something he didn't want it to be or if it stops exciting him. I don't like a coach like that. He's the only coach I can think of who coached 2 teams in one season (granted he was fired from the first, but still a bit odd).

I'll take Sloan, a guy who rose from assistant to head coach and kept that job for two decades, going through a full overhaul once in that time and constantly working in assorted pieces, young and old, to fit in his system, over Brown any day. I mean, you make mention of the weak young talent Brown had in Charlotte, and it certainly was, but Sloan had scrubs like Bryon Russell and Greg Ostertag develop as young players on a perennial playoff team. Greg freakin Ostertag!!!

As for SVG, I don't think you can say he doesn't play young players. He's always struck me as a guy who maximizes talent. Who has he not played? JJ Redick in his rookie year? Who should also thank him for having a career because he forced him to work on his quickness and D so that he wouldn't just be a one-dimensional shooter who was a liability in every other way. Obviously he just doesn't have as much previous experience compare, but I trust him to get the most out of players. He always found a way to work in his young players at some point, therefore developing them well...guys like Gortat, Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass, Ryan Anderson...these are all guys he easily found ways get solid production out of and help improve.

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                            IMO, Colangelo has to go 'come hell or high water' before we even talk about a coaching change. You see, replacing Casey will replace pretty much his whole coaching staff & I do believe that the locker room atmosphere is a direct result of proper policing in the locker room by the coaches.

I do think he needs a lead assistant coach to take care of the offensive side of the floor. I would be sad to see Tom Sterner and Scott Roth go because I can pretty much give them credit to the improvement of an Ed Davis and Amir Johnson. I can only imagine what work they would put on JV. Roth did coach Pau Gasol before so there is a definite portfolio with him as a big man coach.

Bottom line: COLANGELO HAS TO GO. Give Dwane Casey a good balance in the roster and let's see what he can do in his third season w/ a tactician sitting right beside him.
                            I agree in principle though, that regardless, BC needs to go for any coach to have sustained success. BUt this is what makes the current pairing so tough to deal with. If Casey excels next year and the team exceeds expectations, it will make Colangelo look good, and possibly make it easier for him to get a new deal....which he shouldn't, no matter what. But if he fails, it still gives BC the chance to try and blame the coach and save his job.** It's weird to think I almost hope this team sucks again next year, to be sure BC is fired.

....and if that happens, I think we'd all agree that given Casey's contract is up and a new GM would be coming in, unless the players all give ludicrously strong endorsements of Casey, a new GM will find "his" coach.

**I think this is why Colangelo has basically been calling this a playoff team since before the season, and now since the trade is selling it as much improved, and therefore a lock for the postseason next year. He has to get everyone to buy in to the idea...his bosses, the fans, the media, the rest of the league...that this is a playoff roster. This gives him something to work with when trying to negotiate a new contract, and the board is full of people who don't know anything about basketball...
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                              Many people think BC should be fired. Personally I think he deserves one more year so he get's a fair opportunity to complete the rebuilding he started post Bosh. This doesn't mean that I endorse every move he's made and if he's fired, I wouldn't complain. However, I don't see it solving the Coaching problem. I think the team as composed presently, with a significant addition, can make the play-offs comfortably if it has a better Coach. Stan Van Gundy would not make a small difference but a huge one.

Like many I did not support the hiring of the inexperienced AA(Blue Jays) only to end up eating my words. No success yet but in 3 years he's taken one of the worst teams to a team that's starting the season favourites. Obviously Beeston saw something in him but I'm sure he too would admit that he didn't expect such a brilliant GM. My point is, it's not often that a franchise stumbles into someone like AA.
                              RE post -Bosh comment ---Eric Smith of fan590 sees it the same way.

Comment

I agree in principle though, that regardless, BC needs to go for any coach to have sustained success. BUt this is what makes the current pairing so tough to deal with. If Casey excels next year and the team exceeds expectations, it will make Colangelo look good, and possibly make it easier for him to get a new deal....which he shouldn't, no matter what. But if he fails, it still gives BC the chance to try and blame the coach and save his job.** It's weird to think I almost hope this team sucks again next year, to be sure BC is fired.

....and if that happens, I think we'd all agree that given Casey's contract is up and a new GM would be coming in, unless the players all give ludicrously strong endorsements of Casey, a new GM will find "his" coach.

**I think this is why Colangelo has basically been calling this a playoff team since before the season, and now since the trade is selling it as much improved, and therefore a lock for the postseason next year. He has to get everyone to buy in to the idea...his bosses, the fans, the media, the rest of the league...that this is a playoff roster. This gives him something to work with when trying to negotiate a new contract, and the board is full of people who don't know anything about basketball...
                                BC talks like a politician. It is curious that so many people fall for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X