Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
    Bargs averaged 1.4 blocks a game. That's more than Horford and Shaq. He also blocked slashers ALOT. And about him getting into foul trouble "often", he only got into foul trouble when he got lazy, giving out stupid fouls. And just to let you know, he averaged 2.7 fouls in 35 minutes. Go check how other centers managed.
    Of course Horford is a MUCH better defender than Bargnani, so that tells you something about how much indication blocks are of how good a defender a player is. Bargnani would get a block every now and then, but he also, more often than not, would fail to prevent a score inside by rotating late, or not at all.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Macc wrote: View Post
      Being overshadowed is exactly one of my points. There would be more light on him on the Raptors and as they continue to produce L's we look at Perkins as a player who cannot score on his own and is a liability on offence.

He is not pretty good at scoring around the basket, unless he is wide open and gets a perfect pass from Rondo.

And one player does not make a poor defence team become a top 5 defence team in the league (especially Perkins). Bringing a player (i.e Garnett) can spark a team with already solid defenders, to play more intense defence. Perkins will not make Calderon a defencive stopper, or make him look anything like that.

Plus if we gave Perkins for Bargnani, I'd say we'd be last in defence AND offence.
      Well, first of all, Perkins is certainly not a liability on offense. Last season, he averaged double figures in scoring while being second in the league in FG%. Sure, he's not going to create much on offense, but he's got good hands and a pretty soft touch around the basket.

And I'm not saying he's going to turn the team into a top 5 defensive team. He's certainly going to bring improvement, though. Having a true defensive big man does wonders for a team's defense. A team can cover a poor defensive guard far easier than a poor defensive big man. San Antonio has been one of the better defensive teams even with Tony Parker, who's not very good defensively, precisely because they have a solid defensive front court.

And I think you give far too much credit to Bargnani's offense. He's a good shooter for a big man, but he can't create for himself, doesn't move well without the ball and is a poor post player. He still needs someone to create for him.

Hell, per 36 mpg, Bargnani only scored 4 more ppg than Perkins last season. I really don't think the offense would suffer that much, but the improvement on defense would be fairly big.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Well, first of all, Perkins is certainly not a liability on offense. Last season, he averaged double figures in scoring while being second in the league in FG%. Sure, he's not going to create much on offense, but he's got good hands and a pretty soft touch around the basket.

And I'm not saying he's going to turn the team into a top 5 defensive team. He's certainly going to bring improvement, though. Having a true defensive big man does wonders for a team's defense. A team can cover a poor defensive guard far easier than a poor defensive big man. San Antonio has been one of the better defensive teams even with Tony Parker, who's not very good defensively, precisely because they have a solid defensive front court.

And I think you give far too much credit to Bargnani's offense. He's a good shooter for a big man, but he can't create for himself, doesn't move well without the ball and is a poor post player. He still needs someone to create for him.

Hell, per 36 mpg, Bargnani only scored 4 more ppg than Perkins last season. I really don't think the offense would suffer that much, but the improvement on defense would be fairly big.
        "True defensive big man" is that like the opposite of a "false defensive big man"?

If it is, would you then say that Bargnani is a "false defensive big man"?

Could you please define what a "true defensive big man" is?

Thanks
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Of course Horford is a MUCH better defender than Bargnani, so that tells you something about how much indication blocks are of how good a defender a player is. Bargnani would get a block every now and then, but he also, more often than not, would fail to prevent a score inside by rotating late, or not at all.
          Yeah, I mentioned the Horford thing earlier It pretty much proved your point on how blocks are overrated on defence. But still, I like him averaging 1.4 blocks :P HAHA. He got lazy many times, mostly in 4th quarters or after long stretches of play, and that's something he seriously needs to work on, because he'll be playing ALOT of minutes next year, but this time he'll have to put 100% effort for all 35 minutes.

Comment

• Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            "True defensive big man" is that like the opposite of a "false defensive big man"?

Thanks
            Nah, the opposite of true defensive bigman is false offensive smallman Okay, I should probably win the lame award of the year, but oh well

Comment

Nah, the opposite of true defensive bigman is false offensive smallman Okay, I should probably win the lame award of the year, but oh well
              "False offensive small man" I like it

Some false offensive small men in NBA history would include

Anthony Carter 6'1" and 5.0 ppg
              Scott Brooks 5'11" and 4.9 ppg
              Jacque Vaughn 6'1" and 4.5 ppg
              John Crotty 6'1" and 4.0 ppg

All of whom were 6'1" or shorter, averaged 5 ppg or less and played at least 450 games in their respective NBA careers.

False Offensive Small Men
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

"False offensive small man" I like it

Some false offensive small men in NBA history would include

Anthony Carter 6'1" and 5.0 ppg
                Scott Brooks 5'11" and 4.9 ppg
                Jacque Vaughn 6'1" and 4.5 ppg
                John Crotty 6'1" and 4.0 ppg

All of whom were 6'1" or shorter, averaged 5 ppg or less and played at least 450 games in their respective NBA careers.

False Offensive Small Men
                HAHAHAHA I LOVE IT! But seriously Buddah, I love all the stats and all, but you really have way to much time! Go get married or something, and if you're married just do it again

And Carter is seriously the best false offensive small man ever, c'mon. 20 mpg, 5 ppg. 40% fg%, 24% 3pg%, 70% ft%.

Comment

Thanks
                  I big man who can anchor the defense. He can play both man and team defense at a high level. Amir Johnson is a good defensive player, but he still has trouble against the stronger big men because he can't hold them off. I've no doubt that will change as he gets older and stronger. I see Ed Davis as having the potential to anchor a defense eventually, but like Johnson, needs to get bigger and stronger.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

HAHAHAHA I LOVE IT! But seriously Buddah, I love all the stats and all, but you really have way to much time! Go get married or something, and if you're married just do it again

And Carter is seriously the best false offensive small man ever, c'mon. 20 mpg, 5 ppg. 40% fg%, 24% 3pg%, 70% ft%.
                    I find it interesting that some people want to tell others what to do.

I am a Libertarian so that thinking doesn't fly with me or even crawl with me.

The fact of the matter is this.

If you didn't spend so much time on this website you wouldn't know how much time I spend on this website.

Give me Liberty and give me the YGZ®
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Sep 5, 2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I find it interesting that some people want to tell others what to do.

I am a Libertarian so that thinking doesn't fly with me or even crawl with me.

Give me Liberty and give me the YGZ®
                      I am sorry if I have offended you sir :P AHAHAA

Comment

I big man who can anchor the defense. He can play both man and team defense at a high level. Amir Johnson is a good defensive player, but he still has trouble against the stronger big men because he can't hold them off. I've no doubt that will change as he gets older and stronger. I see Ed Davis as having the potential to anchor a defense eventually, but like Johnson, needs to get bigger and stronger.
                        So according to your definition a team can have multiple true defensive big men like Johnson and Davis might become.

Sorry Mr GQ you are going to have to find a another tag to describe your game "True Offensive Big Man". That would be very nice.

Comment

If you didn't spend so much time on this website you wouldn't know how much time I spend on this website.

*calmly claps hands with classic conservative class to honor this poignant, truth-telling quote*
                          RR OG

Comment

• NBA.com Raptors - Bargnani's Image Replaced By DeMar's

Maybe MLSE wasn't to happy with Bargnani's GQ photo shoot. So they decided to make DeMar the face of the team?

NBA.com Raptors

Comment

• ...or they went online and realized how many fans are pulling for the YGZ to take over the team.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                ...or they went online and realized how many fans are pulling for the YGZ to take over the team.
                                I would love to see these two lineups face each other

YGZ® Plus
                                -----------------
                                Johnson
                                Davis
                                Weems
                                DeRozan
                                Jack

Wright - To come in for Amir when he gets in foul trouble

Old Guys
                                ------------
                                Bargnani
                                Anderson
                                Kleiza
                                Calderon
                                Barbosa

Reggie

==============
                                My money would be on the top unit, especially after the all-star break.
                                Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Sep 6, 2010, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X