IF Calderon Gets Injured Playing for Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF Calderon Gets Injured Playing for Spain

Ok, we (Matt) have talked at great length of the dangers to Jose's summer play and the injuries or reduced effectiveness as a result. So...if Jose gets injured this year, does Toronto automatically amnesty?

One the one hand it is an obvious yes, since an ineffective Calderon at over $10M is a hindrance. On the less obvious side though, is most of the 'worth signing' PGs would be gone and locked up by such time, and to add to this, if Jose gets injured and the Raptors slowly nurse him back into the game, he would be a strong trade chip come deadline (potentially).

Finally it could be, he gets injured, nursed back to health, plays out the year and re-signs for a more modest salary.

Thoughts?
    Amnesty with our thanks for services rendered
    16.67%
    Nurse back to health and trade
    16.67%
    Nurse back to health and re-sign to close out his career in TO
    66.67%

Depends on the extent of any injury, obviously, but I don't see a lot of advantage to amnestying him, unless there's an immediate use for that salary. Like you say, acquiring a starting UFA PG at that point would be unlikely. I think that if they don't get a top-end PG in the draft, the 2013 free agency period has a lot of potential... a lot of solid young RFAs who might be obtainable, and with the new offer sheet rules, that tactic becomes more viable. Unless a solid trade comes along, I'd like to see them hang onto Calderon, use that cap space and an offer sheet to go hard after guys like Lawson, Jennings, Holiday, Curry, Collison, Beaubois etc. If that strategy doesn't pan out, fall back on Calderon, as I see him being a guy who ends up not being signed until toward the end of the offseason.

Comment

Even if he does get injured, he still has value as an expiring contract.

Comment

Depends on the nature and severity of his injury.

For all my talk of trading Jose, it has always been about returning assets. I wouldn't want to see him let go for nothing. He is far from a Gilbert Arenas or Andray Blatche type player.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Even if he does get injured, he still has value as an expiring contract.
          I'm not sure how important an expiring contract is these days. NO tried to ship Kaman out and no one bit. The Cavs tried with Jamison and got no offers. Barbosa was only worth a very low 2nd round pick. LA who desperately needed a PG got one this year.

I don't see too many playoff teams out there coveting a guy like Jose - unless a PG gets injured but then that might be asking for someone to win the lottery.

I say if Jose gets injured we amnesty him. Although the amnesty card can only be used in the off season. Once the season starts it can't be used.. and Jose typically got injured a few games into the beginning of the season - never before the season started.

I voted 'amnesty' but it may not be doable.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure how important an expiring contract is these days. NO tried to ship Kaman out and no one bit. The Cavs tried with Jamison and got no offers. Barbosa was only worth a very low 2nd round pick. LA who desperately needed a PG got one this year.

I don't see too many playoff teams out there coveting a guy like Jose - unless a PG gets injured but then that might be asking for someone to win the lottery.

I say if Jose gets injured we amnesty him. Although the amnesty card can only be used in the off season. Once the season starts it can't be used.. and Jose typically got injured a few games into the beginning of the season - never before the season started.

I voted 'amnesty' but it may not be doable.
            The 2013 free agent class will be exponentially deeper than this year's.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

That's where Calderon's expiring contract will come in handy.

Comment

I don't get all the hate spewed towards Calderon for the possibility of getting injured during International play. He isn't doing anything wrong or illegal. Personally, I wish professional leagues (not just NBA) would prevent their players from doing any offseason moonlighting of any kind, as long as they're under contract. I know some teams already try to prevent their players from doing so and I wish at the very least the Raptors would follow suit, but I think they allow it as a means of trying to attract International players, given their inability to lure big time American free agents.

It is his right to play for Spain and neither the league or Raptors franchise do anything to even remotely discourage him from doing so. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to treat an injury suffered while playing for Spain any differently than an injury incurred during training camp, preseason or in a Raptors uniform.

For me, amnesty is not even a consideration for Calderon. I would have no issue trading him, as long as fair market value is received in return for his services. As a top tier pass-first floor general on an expiring contract, I fully expect there to be significant interest in Calderon up until next season's trade deadline (especially after hearing there was much interest this season). I also would not be opposed to the Raptors re-signing Calderon to a much cheaper contract after next season (2-3 years @ no more than $5M per season), to be a mentor and then backup PG to a young pass-first PG (or just a backup if they somehow acquire an established young starting PG).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                It is his right to play for Spain and neither the league or Raptors franchise do anything to even remotely discourage him from doing so. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to treat an injury suffered while playing for Spain any differently than an injury incurred during training camp, preseason or in a Raptors uniform.
                There's a big difference between getting injured in international competition, vs. an NBA training camp or preseason game. One occurs while earning a paycheque, while the other does not.

Technically speaking, getting injured while playing for Spain wouldn't be any different than Jayson Williams breaking his leg on a motorcycle. They're both risks the players take in their own time, which directly/indirectly puts their professional careers in jeopardy.

Regardless, I don't think there's any hate on Calderon. We're just preparing for a scenario that's hindered the Raptors in the past.

Comment

IF Calderon Gets Injured Playing for Spain .. then we tar and feather Matt and run him out of town.

Seems fair to me.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    IF Calderon Gets Injured Playing for Spain .. then we tar and feather Matt and run him out of town.

Seems fair to me.
                    I'll be easy to find. I'll be getting my ink done like this:

Comment

If I am not mistaken playing in international competition occurs under a mandated insurance policy required of his basketball federation in the event of an injury. If true, his contract would still be an asset to hold on to unless of course there is a free agent willing to sign who cannot be passed on and we need the cap room.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        If I am not mistaken playing in international competition occurs under a mandated insurance policy required of his basketball federation in the event of an injury. If true, his contract would still be an asset to hold on to unless of course there is a free agent willing to sign who cannot be passed on and we need the cap room.
                        If he cannot play, he is not a very good asset unless you find a situation like Portland this year (Wallace/Okur).

Insurance would cover the contract but it would not offer salary cap relief.

Comment

If he's injured for the season, there is the injured player exception (50% of player's salary) if I'm correct.

Comment

Jonas will be playing for Lithuania for the next ten years or so. Are we ready for that?

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
                              Jonas will be playing for Lithuania for the next ten years or so. Are we ready for that?
                              Yeah, I already semi-jokingly asked in another thread if we should trade him...

Comment

Working...
                              X