The Truth: Raptors are responsible for Kleiza's injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth: Raptors are responsible for Kleiza's injury

Sport24.gr - one of the largest and most reliable sports media in Greece - exposed the real story about Kleiza's injury. The Lithuanian international had been complaining to Raptors' medical team for the past two months about excruciating pain in his right knee. The team's doctors ignored his pleas and insisted that it was nothing to worry about and that he should continue training at 100% and just go through some routine therapies until the pain is gone.

Kleiza, having no other choice, listened to the doctors and continued training - and playing - at his 100%, having no idea the deterioration his knee was receiving, day by day. Needless to mention that the pain kept growing and at the same his performance started diminishing. Two weeks ago, and after having had just enough of his team medical's team criminal neglect, Kleiza made up his mind and told Raptors that he refused to play until the pain is completely gone. Not only the Raptors administration did not take his claims seriously but they were dissatisfied with his "unprofessional behaviour", still insisting that the injury was "nothing serious".
    http://www.talkbasket.net/news/the-t...jury-4058.html

Wow... whether 100% true or not this is a major blow to the Raptors.

Look at our current roster and see how many players have missed games. Bargs, Amir, Bayless, Calderon playing through injuries. We might have the worst trainers in the league (Portland). Enjoy the all-star game Scott MacCulloch.
    Last edited by 666; Sat Feb 5, 2011, 01:30 PM.

I can only hope and pray this is not true. It is absolutely awful and disgusting if there is any grain of truth to this.

I am weary of 'sources' though and the Lithuanian basketball federation would likely be looking to point the finger of blame at the Raps/NBA versus themselves. This could be all about saving face for an angry fan base in his native land.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I can only hope and pray this is not true. It is absolutely awful and disgusting if there is any grain of truth to this.

I am weary of 'sources' though and the Lithuanian basketball federation would likely be looking to point the finger of blame at the Raps/NBA versus themselves. This could be all about saving face for an angry fan base in his native land.
      The scary part is that this isn't the Lithuanian federation pointing the blame. It's not in the LTU press but rather in the Greek press. What incentive does Greece have?

The sources are questionable but one bizarre thing is that Greek media is good at scooping things up first. The Peja to Toronto trade for example was published first in the Greek press before the U.S./Canada media picked up on it. It is worthy to mention that Peja's agent is Greek.

Even if the article is not completely true, I find it suspicious that literally every single Raptor aside maybe JuJu and Demar has missed games due to injury. Why do we continue to play Amir and Bargs when they are noticeably in pain? Same goes for Bayless and Calderon.

The organization is incompetent regardless how this is put. Inevitably another blow to the club.

Comment

Maybe our biggest concern going forward is our medical staff. You guys are right in the fact we have huge health problems with our players. Maybe Kleiza is a lot better then we saw. Damn shame I have verbally abused him more than a few times due to his play.

Did not know our medical staff might have been mistreating him the whole time.
        “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

666 wrote: View Post
          The scary part is that this isn't the Lithuanian federation pointing the blame. It's not in the LTU press but rather in the Greek press. What incentive does Greece have?
          As I'm sure you know, he played in Greece last year. Maybe someone there is pissed off he left? Pissed off the Raps made an offer that they couldn't compete with? Trying to make the NBA/Raptors look bad in general. I don't know, totally speculating and trying to think critically about the situation. I'd like to know Kleiza's thoughts or comments on the accusations.

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
            Maybe our biggest concern going forward is our medical staff. You guys are right in the fact we have huge health problems with our players. Maybe Kleiza is a lot better then we saw. Damn shame I have verbally abused him more than a few times due to his play.

Did not know our medical staff might have been mistreating him the whole time.
            Yea very unfortunate. And his knee problems started in the first game of the preseason. That was just bad luck but now it questions the competency of the medical staff.

The coincidence is too outrageous. Why is everyone hurt. Bargs and Amir continue to play in pain. Calderon and Bayless are game-time decisions every other night. Who is healthy on this time? Julian Wright... 1 out of 15? Demar had hamstring issues in Nov and Jay Triano said that Derozan needs to learn to play through pain. Fortunately nothing bad happened there.

Comment

As I'm sure you know, he played in Greece last year. Maybe someone there is pissed off he left? Pissed off the Raps made an offer that they couldn't compete with? Trying to make the NBA/Raptors look bad in general. I don't know, totally speculating and trying to think critically about the situation. I'd like to know Kleiza's thoughts or comments on the accusations.
              He was making over 6M a year. He opted out of the 2nd year of his contract to sign something more long-term. In all reality he would make nearly the same money... easily can get 4M a year and for a shorter season too.

I'm waiting to hear from Kleiza as well. I'm surprised the Lithuanian media is not confirming this. I think he might be in Colorado though but once he gets to LTU there should be updated news.

Sketchy situation and regardless of that article this is a blow to the Raptors. No one is going to want to play here.

Comment

Even if the article is not completely true, I find it suspicious that literally every single Raptor aside maybe JuJu and Demar has missed games due to injury. Why do we continue to play Amir and Bargs when they are noticeably in pain? Same goes for Bayless and Calderon.
                Injuries bugs happen. It is rare for a player to play all 82 games healthy. The NBA schedule is extremely demanding. Most human bodies cannot take the wear and tear the season demands. Guys are playing hurt with minor nagging injuries because so many guys are out with serious injuries. It seems now the team might be in a rotation of sorts with Bayless sitting last night.

Comment

He was making over 6M a year. He opted out of the 2nd year of his contract to sign something more long-term. In all reality he would make nearly the same money... easily can get 4M a year and for a shorter season too.
                  I was aware what his contract in Greece was. It is important to keep in mind that the NBA is the biggest stage in the world, he surely wanted to show he belonged after sitting behind Melo, Greece is hardly the most politically settled place in the world, the money in the NBA is guaranteed, and the travel, arenas and amenities are nicer. I'm sure there was much more than money in determining where he wanted to play.

I read he is going back to Toronto in a week not off to Lithuania.

Comment

Great, even our doctors are made out to be incompetent....

Seriously, this is horrible, not only for the Raptors, but for all of Canada. You know some crazy American jingoists are gonna pick this up and talk about our "inferior" healthcare system, and that in turn is really gonna affect future players from wanting to come here.
                    Remember when we drafted Ed and journalists were asking him about tax laws? Now it's gonna be "So, do you trust their doctors to keep you healthy?"...

ugh... This is like a bad nightmare.

Comment

MacCullough can't be that bad of a trainer. He is going to be the East All-Star trainer. He also spent 6 years as head athletic trainer for the Memphis Grizzlies before the Raptors.

http://media.nba.com/2011/allstar/20...ase/index.html

Comment

If this is true, Kleiza must be a hell of a professional that he has not talked about it to the media.

Comment

I'm thinking the story probably went more along the lines of...
                          -Kleiza tells Raptors that his knee hurts.
                          -Raptors look at knee, realize there is a problem, but cannot tell how serious it is.
                          -Raptors tell Kleiza to either play through the pain or go in for surgery.
                          -Kleiza does not want surgery and so plays through it.
                          -As season goes on, knee becomes worse and can no longer play through pain.
                          -Raptors tell Kleiza that surgery is the only other option.
                          -Kleiza has surgery.

Now I'm not in a doctor in any sense of the word, but doesn't this seem like a much more plausible course of events?

Besides, how on earth would a Greek newspaper of all places received word of this before anyone else?
                          Last edited by jrdyck; Sat Feb 5, 2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

MacCullough can't be that bad of a trainer. He is going to be the East All-Star trainer. He also spent 6 years as head athletic trainer for the Memphis Grizzlies before the Raptors.

http://media.nba.com/2011/allstar/20...ase/index.html
                            Exactly. I'd say Scott McCullough has a very solid reputation around the league as a very reliable trainer. He can't help it if his players are made of glass.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Exactly. I'd say Scott McCullough has a very solid reputation around the league as a very reliable trainer. He can't help it if his players are made of glass.
                              Every Raptor has been injured, probably why he was chosen. He has the most work out of any trainer obviously. Plus who wants to work during the break?

I'm just curious if he has taught Sonny to stretch yet? Whether he has strengthened Bayless' and Calderon's ankles? Curious how long he will allow Amir to play with back spasms so the guy can develop Tracy McGrady type back problems. This McCullough guy sounds like the real deal. BC may conspire something sending him to the all-star game. Has anyone gotten seriously hurt in a all-star game. Hope not.

Comment

Working...
                              X