Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-DAY 12-15-13 - TRADE DEADLINE RUMOR THREAD - The Because There Will Be Many Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Still it's not a horrible trade if we trade Gray for him. Gray sits on the bench most of the time. Worst case scenario is that he's a bench warmer which is what Gray was anyways...
    Fair enough.

Comment

Toronto has nothing that would match Heat's need. Also, the 3 team trades that are suggested here are too complex and too unrealistic to ever happen.

Comment

Moves to be made going forward

Whether or in favour of tanking or not, it is clear that this team just isn't good enough to compete as is. With a new GM and a record that gets poorer by the game, something has got to give. What do you feel are the priorities going forward in order to build a competitive team, either for this season or future seasons?

Multiple choices can be made in the poll.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
          it is clear that this team just isn't good enough to compete as is.
          Not sure everyone will agree with that statement. "Compete" is subjective to a degree, and is relative to what is being competed for. Can the Raps compete for a championship? No. Can they compete in the first round? uhhh, maybe? Can they compete for the division title? Yes. Can they compete for a playoff spot? Yes.

Although I don't count myself among them, I still believe their are posters who think that the raps can compete for the playoffs, division title, and a win in the first round, and are happy to finally see some raps playoffs again.

But I don't think they can compete for a conference finals, which is what my arbitrary criteria is.

So what moves need to be made

1) Move out bad fit players/players on bad contracts for players of equal talent on shorter bad contracts or on players with better contracts but less talent. The idea is to have contracts that have good production (or good estimated future production) relative to their dollar amount.

2) Understanding the want of good talent/cash ratio, focus on trades that ship out older players for younger players or future younger players (aka draft picks)

3) This one is a bit nutty, so feel free to dismiss, but try trading with a competitive team for a draft pick far in the future when you think that there's a good chance they'll be crappy again. For instance in a deal with OKC try to get a first rounder a season or two after Durant hits free agency, in the hopes that he signs elsewhere and they miss the playoffs.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Miami amnestied Mike Miller to save $$$ with luxury/repeater tax implications.

Don't see them taking Fields.

Don't forget Chalmers is due for a new contract too.... and if not Chalmers they need PG help.
            Lowry would be perfect for them.

Comment

Can't see poll on my phone.

However goal for next year should be to treat the roster like the front office last summer.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                Lowry would be perfect for them.
                Not all decisions are basketball related though - that's my only point.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Not all decisions are basketball related though - that's my only point.
                  True.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Because they're one of the most poorly managed franchises ever.
                    You are aware they're under brand new ownership, and brand new management, right? Of course you are. So what have these new people done poorly?

In any case, my disbelief comes primarily from this even going pages of discussion. It's of zero consequence now or in the future for the Raps.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                      You are aware they're under brand new ownership, and brand new management, right? Of course you are. So what have these new people done poorly?
                      I meant historically. Which can also make it a hard trend to break. FWIW, they also haven't done anything impressive either.

-McLemore fell into their lap.
                      -Their big FA signing was Carl Landry (who's now injured, and plays a position they didn't need filled anyway)
                      -Traded Evans for Vasquez
                      -They traded picks away for Mbah a Moute in the summer, then a few months later traded him for Derrick Williams.
                      -They invested a 4 year 61 million dollar contract in Cousins. Now, the numbers are arguably what he'd get paid no matter what, but does he seem like it's started to click yet mentally? Not really. He's a clown and probably not a guy you want as your franchise player.

These don't exactly scream brilliant management either. Most of their summer moves seemed to have focus on hoping to compete, and now they realize they'll suck and they want to shed some of the bad/pointless pieces they have. Seems like at least initially, they didn't really know what direction to go in, which also means they didn't evaluate the team very well.

Now not to love-in on Ujiri, but if you're unsure your team will compete and think there's a chance you'll need to discard players and accumulate assets, there are simple things you try to do, which Ujiri did. Try not to add any significant long-term money. Try not to give away youth/picks. They didn't do a great job with those.

And why sign Cousins to a costly extension? I'd happily wait til he's a restricted free agent, and see if another team is willing to max him out since he's such a headcase. There's no need to max him out so early. Can't see where the risk would be in waiting. He's restriced so you can match any offer. You already are prepared to max him out, so the offer won't matter. You just get another season to see if he really is worth that, because man, he still seems like he's nowhere near "getting it" despite his production.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
                        Umm if you can trade Aaron Gray for Jimmer Fredette, you do it 10 times out of 10.

There's always the possibility that Jimmer could be a bit of a late bloomer in the NBA like Redick was.
                        Agreed, but wait until you are 6-70 to pull the trigger

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                          Agreed, but wait until you are 6-70 to pull the trigger
                          Wouldn't that be after the trade deadline?

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            Whether or in favour of tanking or not, it is clear that this team just isn't good enough to compete as is. With a new GM and a record that gets poorer by the game, something has got to give. What do you feel are the priorities going forward in order to build a competitive team, either for this season or future seasons?

Multiple choices can be made in the poll.
                            Why isn't one of the options on the poll to get these guys a therapist? The talent is clearly there, but from what I've seen these guys just can't get it together mentally.

Comment

Green Maple Leaf wrote: View Post
                              Why isn't one of the options on the poll to get these guys a therapist? The talent is clearly there, but from what I've seen these guys just can't get it together mentally.
                              Do you use the same eye doctor as Gay?

Comment

Apparently nothing about the rumour is true.

http://cowbellkingdom.com/2013/12/07...in-sacramento/

Comment

Working...
                                X