If Raptors used scabs would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    I was under the impression that the NCAA ball games were large draws in the US, with numerous markets having regular sellouts. Clearly most NCAA teams don't have ANY NBA level players, with the elite ones having maybe 2-3 potentials NBA level players.

So some people are happy to go see non-NBA level bball.
    Great point. However a large part of that support is the fact that they are kids and amateurs.
    And its the NCAA. You watch the NCAA for a certain style of game.
    You watch the NBA for another style of game.
    You take away the elite level players, and you take away what makes the NBA, the NBA.
    It would no longer be "Where Amazing Happens." And you could no longer claim to be the best league in the world. Regardless of support, you are settling for an inferior product.

Comment

I was under the impression that the NCAA ball games were large draws in the US, with numerous markets having regular sellouts. Clearly most NCAA teams don't have ANY NBA level players, with the elite ones having maybe 2-3 potentials NBA level players.

I dont think this is a good argument.

a) There are many many NCAA teams at different levels/divs.
      b) Only the elite teams (probably 20 or so) get sold out and some like Duke have "small" arenas
      c) It is primarily alumni (old and new) who attend...games tend to be on campus
      d) The number of games per season cannot compare
      e) The cities or towns are not major pop/bus. centres

Yes, some people would attend any cohesively played basketball game at a lower level. But for how long, how often and at what price? It would not be sustainable just as elite players going to play in Europe is not.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        I dont think this is a good argument.

a) There are many many NCAA teams at different levels/divs.
        b) Only the elite teams (probably 20 or so) get sold out and some like Duke have "small" arenas
        c) It is primarily alumni (old and new) who attend...games tend to be on campus
        d) The number of games per season cannot compare
        e) The cities or towns are not major pop/bus. centres

Yes, some people would attend any cohesively played basketball game at a lower level. But for how long, how often and at what price? It would not be sustainable just as elite players going to play in Europe is not.
        Those are better points.

Comment

Most people that attend NCAA games have a very close connection to the school, are usually alumni, students or have been lifelong, die-hard fans of the school. And there are only about 30-35 games a season, including "playoff" games. Fewer games create more demand. And one of the draws to seeing NCAA games is seeing guys who might one day become good-to-great NBA players. Have you ever watched two crappy NCAA teams play against one another? It's barely better than watching CIS basketball, and I don't see that being a huge draw.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            But thats not what that'll do.

The only thing that will do is give the owners more money, and more cause to try and screw over the truly Great Players by basically saying "the fans don't actually care about the product on the floor, so why would I bother trying to put the best product on the floor." Its all about making money for them. If they could make the same amount of money, without paying the players what they do, then they would. But they can't. They NEED the ELITE level players to sell the merchandise and sell the $1,000 tickets.

You don't keep the Air Canada Center open while charging $10 a ticket.

They don't care about basketball. They care about making money.

You keep hearing how if there is no season next year, then the players will have missed out on $2.1 Billion in Salary.
            But the owners will have missed out on nearly the same amounts in profits.
            This is just my opinion but I don't think he truly great players are the issue. Those players are the ones who make the owners - and league - a tonne of money.

The problem is the players earning much more than their worth. The current system allows a guy to mail it in after he signs a lucrative contract (Eddy Curry is an over used but phenomenal example) or allows 'average' players to take advantage of the MLE or Bird's Rights to get much more money than they are worth. The argument of course is but that is the owners decision. The counter-argument is owners are bidding on the best talent available to improve their team - if they aren't out trying to secure the best talent available then they would be accused of being Sterling-like i.e. cheap and only caring about a profit.

The current system is a lose/lose proposition for owners, in my opinion. It really shows why successful drafting is so important and being stuck in Pacer-ville is pretty much as painful as TWolve-ville.

Comment

My answer would depend on the price of a ticket.

Comment

How many people here are going to go and pay money to watch an NBL game? Like, actually.
                Only the most hardcore of basketball fans.

I might, but mostly out of curiousity... and to see if have any shot of making it. hahah
                Last edited by Joey; Sun Jul 31, 2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

.....The problem is the players earning much more than their worth. The current system allows a guy to mail it in after he signs a lucrative contract (Eddy Curry is an over used but phenomenal example) or allows 'average' players to take advantage of the MLE or Bird's Rights to get much more money than they are worth....
                  The current system is a lose/lose proposition for owners, in my opinion. It really shows why successful drafting is so important and being stuck in Pacer-ville is pretty much as painful as TWolve-ville.
                  thank you those are my two big points - I am glad someone gets it.

That is why I would go to the games to support the owners position - not because I would care for the competition.

Right now the whole league is geared to serve the top 5 franchises and most of the top 30 players... everyone else just has to play along... to play along while loosing money as so many of the have-nots are doing is not working.
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

soo would NBL players be eligible for the NBA draft?

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                      Since FIBA has ok'ed NBA players going over seas it dramatically limits the 'starve out' factor for the owners of this stalemate... and if you don't know yet this is a BIG one!

Since I sit with the owners on this one I would go and watch scabs play @ ACC as a show of support. (assuming ticket prices were lower to reflect product).

Toronto fans should support scabs because it is one of the markets that have been hurt most by the power of player free agency. Owners need more power to ensure that the same half dozen teams don't keep winning all the titles.

Imagine the day of non-guaranteed contracts? yogi? hedo? calderon? Kapono? Hakeem Olajuwon? Not just the owners - the fans would get more joy and not be saddled with crappy product for years while waiting for - underachievers contracts to expire.
                      With teams like the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, etc, tied up with long term contracts... wouldn't making contracts non-guarenteed actually help the 'have' teams even more? The Bulls can't get in on the D-12 sweepstakes... but if you let them cut Boozer... If you gave the ability to cut players to the Lakers, they could go on a 10 year streak where they sign the best player in free agency, 10 years in a row if they wanted. If Miami was allowed to cut Bosh to sign Howard they would. If they were allowed to cut Wade once age started showing, they would, and they would use that space to take Derozan off our hands.

Comment

I have been a union member for the better part of 35 years so I could not under any circumstance support scab labour.

Having said that, I don't go to NBA games or any other professional sporting event. I haven't been to one in about 12 years. I prefer watching them on TV or the internet.
                        Last edited by stretch; Mon Aug 1, 2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                          I have been a union member for the better part of 35 years so I could not under any circumstance support scab labour.

Having said that, I don't go to NBA games or any other professional sporting event. I haven't been to one in about 12 years. I prefer watching them on TV or the internet.
                          Do you really feel much solidarity to mega rich NBA players?
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

No solidarity with NBA players, they are elite, talented beyond normal mortals, and well compensated for normally, but I think I can safely say this for 99% of unionized labour in that there is a universal distaste for scab labour.

Comment

Also keep in the mind, that in the US, any Employer that is Locking out his employees, can only hire temporary replacements.
                              In a Union Strike, they may hire permanent replacements.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                How many people here are going to go and pay money to watch an NBL game? Like, actually.
                                Only the most hardcore of basketball fans.

I might, but mostly out of curiousity... and to see if have any shot of making it. hahah
                                No offense to the CFL, because it is exciting, but lots of people pay to go see that and that's significantly sub-par to the NFL. Buffalo isn't that far away.

NCAA basketball sells out huge arenas all the time and most those guys in NBADL were stars of their teams in the NCAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X