FIBA Americas Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    The roster is pretty disappointing. No English, Kris Joseph, Olynyk, Bennett..... Not the team anyone thought they would have. Still, better than most Canadian teams in recent memory. They are actually okay up front but the perimeter doesn't look great.
    Kris Joseph is on the roster, just hasn't been playing much. Bennett and Olynyk are injured so they couldn't play. I think it's the same with English, which is really too bad as he's the one long time SNT member that I actually want to stay part of the squad. We are also desperate for some scoring from the guards and English would have fit the bill nicely.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      I'll bite since I haven't seen any threads on the SNT and it's the only relevant basketball going on right now. I'm actually more optimistic than worried. We haven't won any of those games but we've been close in all of them. This tournament is all about tweaking the roster and seeing who fits and who doesn't so a lot of the lineups and minutes will not be the same once we get to FIBA. The clear weakness of the team is wing/guard play. The 1, 2, and 3 are being manned by guys who aren't quite as good as their international counterparts. Once we get Wiggins, Bennett, and Olynyk to join the team we'll have a lot more scoring options which is what is missing right now. Tristan is great but you can't count on him for more than 12-15 points a night. Nicholson is great but needs to not be the #1 offensive option (which he apparently is right now) to be efficient. Cory Joseph has been pretty disappointing. Hopefully we have some young Canadian PG's in the pipeline (Kevin Pangos perhaps?) who could take the pressure off him and let him settle into his more natural backup PG role. Overall I am more pumped for Canada Mens Basketball than I have been in my entire life. I got excited for Dalembert joining the team so I'm over the moon with all of the truly talented youngsters signing up to play for Canada.
      Long term, there's no question we should all be excited about the prospects, but for this upcoming qualifier, it could be a little tough.
      - Wiggins, Olynyk, Bennett aren't there this time
      - The wing positions are weak. Carl English (injury) would have been a big boost there. Many year veteran of the team, extensive international experience and a scorer, but what can you do?
      - Losing Kyle Landry will hurt, as it leaves them a little thin for bodies up front, and with an insanely compact tourny schedule, ugh
      - A lot of inexperience with the young guys, but these warm-ups, and the real tournament itself, will be huge for these guys down the line.

That being said, Triano knows all about the international game, and these tournaments. Part of the "game" is usually not showing your whole hand in these warm-up games. Also I noticed Triano distributed minutes all over the place in these warm-ups, which I'm sure will be different when the real games start.
      Last edited by p00ka; Mon Aug 26, 2013, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Olynyk is ready to produce right now after 4 years at Gonzaga plus two previous stints on the SNT. With Wiggins and Bennett, I the am not sure how much they would be ready to help as an 18 and 19 year old. They are likely a year or two away from being major contributors to this team.

It's the point guard that runs the offense and therein lies Canada's weakness. Nash was the pg when the program was last going well and way back in the day Eli Pasquale was a very efficient as a playmaker. The development of Tyler Ennis is more important than almost any other player in the Canadian national team pipeline. Pangos could be interchangeable with the role Brady Hislip has with this team. Great shooter but not athletic in terms of this level of competition. He did not get an invite to tryout as far as I know.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
          Olynyk is ready to produce right now after 4 years at Gonzaga plus two previous stints on the SNT. With Wiggins and Bennett, I the am not sure how much they would be ready to help as an 18 and 19 year old. They are likely a year or two away from being major contributors to this team.

It's the point guard that runs the offense and therein lies Canada's weakness. Nash was the pg when the program was last going well and way back in the day Eli Pasquale was a very efficient as a playmaker. The development of Tyler Ennis is more important than almost any other player in the Canadian national team pipeline. Pangos could be interchangeable with the role Brady Hislip has with this team. Great shooter but not athletic in terms of this level of competition. He did not get an invite to tryout as far as I know.
          Everything is building towards the 2016 Olympics, and it's really nice to know we should have 7+ NBA players on the team by then. Guys like Thompson and Nicholson will be ready to step up as team leaders by then since they'll have 3 years of SNT under their belt. We are currently ranked #26 in the world and I'm sure we will improve upon that after FIBA.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Right. Boliva and Peru are also part of "the Americas" in that sense.

But when people see/hear "America", I assume most associate it with the United States of America

EDIT: I'm fairly certain no Brazilian has even been referred to as American
            tkfu wrote: View Post
            My Brazilian wife would very strongly disagree with you. She hates it when people use "American" or "America" to refer to only the USA.

(incidentally: in Brazilian schools, North and South America aren't different continents; there's just the one continent called "America".)
            I'm inclined to agree with tkfu, my dad's partner is from peru (although by way of china) and usually tells people she came from south america, as opposed to specifically peru.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Please let 2016 be an awesome year for Canada basketball

- Raptors deep playoff run
              - Raptors get all-star game
              - Canada medals in olympics
              - Durant signs with Raptors in offseason (lol)

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                Please let 2016 be an awesome year for Canada basketball

- Raptors deep playoff run
                - Raptors get all-star game
                - Canada medals in olympics
                - Durant signs with Raptors in offseason (lol)

Too optimistic.. #lifesucks

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Everything is building towards the 2016 Olympics, and it's really nice to know we should have 7+ NBA players on the team by then. Guys like Thompson and Nicholson will be ready to step up as team leaders by then since they'll have 3 years of SNT under their belt. We are currently ranked #26 in the world and I'm sure we will improve upon that after FIBA.
                  I agree that Canada will eventually move up in FIBA rankings but it may not happen this year. Canada plays Brazil at 6 pm looking for their first win in this tournament. This FIBA Americas tournament is not a slam dunk for Canada to finish in the top 4 based on results so far. Venezuela can be a hostile nationalistic environment for some gringos to play in.

Link for tonight's game:

http://firstrownow.eu/watch/203590/1...vs-canada.html
                  Last edited by stretch; Mon Aug 26, 2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

What does this have to do with the Raptors?

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                      What does this have to do with the Raptors?
                      It's tangential at best (Canadian Basketball), but being there is absolutely nothing else to talk about basketball wise, why complain? I'm a forum regular and I never check the other sections except for Everything Raptors. If there is a good SMNT thread going on in one of the other sections of the forum please point me towards it.

Comment

It was the intern...

Comment

Another loss tonight 77-70 against Brazil. Hope they pull it together against Jamaica on Friday and Puerto Rico on Saturday when it counts.

Comment

I hope its just the case of Canada feeling out the other teams by not putting forward their best rosters. Can't show your hand in friendlies.. although on the other hand losing can't be good for morale either.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                              My Brazilian wife would very strongly disagree with you. She hates it when people use "American" or "America" to refer to only the USA.

(incidentally: in Brazilian schools, North and South America aren't different continents; there's just the one continent called "America".)
                              How does your wife refer to people born in the USA? "Americans of the United States"?

Comment

The thread title says it all. nba.com makes an honest mistake.

The Canadian roster is set now with Carl Landry's injury and Kris Joseph leaving to play in China.

The first round schedule:

Friday, August 30 Jamaica 10:30 a.m.
                                Saturday, August 31 Puerto Rico 1:00 p.m.
                                Sunday, September 1 Brazil 10:30 a.m.
                                Tuesday, September 3 Uruguay 1:00 p.m.

Comment

Working...
                                X