Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Simmons' 2010 Top-40 Trade Value Ranking (ESPN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Simmons' 2010 Top-40 Trade Value Ranking (ESPN)

Part 1 of the ranking- Link

Part 2 of the ranking - Link

Here's a list of 2008-09 incumbents who couldn't crack this season's list or honorable mention:

Hedo Turkoglu (No. 39 last year) roped Bryan Colangelo into a $53 million "if this doesn't work out, I'm getting fired, anyway" deal ...
    Our toughest 2010 omissions go from "not so tough" to "agonizingly tough":

Andrea Bargnani: Memo Okur 2.0, with the added bonus that he started a Miami Vice Beard Club with Jose Calderon. Still, I like my starting centers to grab eight rebounds a game. Hell, I'd settle for seven.
    Group C: "It Makes Us Angry That You'd Even Ask"

12. Chris Bosh: As for Bosh, I hate All-Star Games because nobody tries for three quarters and the game rarely reaches even 40 percent of its potential. Still, it's a must-watch because the cream of the under-30 crop reveals itself in crunch time, and this year, Bosh was the best power forward or center in that game. Period. He has even handled the fact that everyone in America has made the "Wait, he looks like one of the leads in 'Avatar'!" joke at least once nicely. Still, if Dallas called Toronto and said, "We'll take Bosh off your hands for Dirk, this way you won't lose him for nothing this summer," Toronto grabs that offer in a heartbeat … right?
    The 25 worst contracts in the league that have 3-plus years or at least $25 million remaining...

25. Jose Calderon -- four years, $37.6m

12. Hedo Turkoglu -- five years, $53m
    I love reading Bill Simmons' work. (In fact, I just got his new book in the mail today).

His trade value ranking contains some notable Raptors.

Jose's contract doesn't look too bad even though he's playing back-up minutes. He may be one the most expensive back-up PG's, but he's definitely the best.

Here's hoping Hedo earns his salary in the playoffs!

Thoughts?
    RR OG

My thoughts on Hedo are if he can't bring it now, what changes when things tighten up and get tougher? I think he needs to start bringing it now.

Comment

-- it's between Warriors fans, Raptors fans and Knicks fans in any "most realistic about their own players" contest --

Kind of awesome, kind of scary that Raptor fans are grouped with these guys. If you are friends with any NY or GS fans you understand. Sophisticated and knowledgeable. Infinitely jaded.

Comment

what? i read that six times and still dont get it.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

"(As for the "least realistic about their own players" contest ... I think it's a battle to the death between two fan bases and two fan bases only. They know who they are.)"

LOL any guesses?

Comment

Spelled Phonetically:

Look, I'm the lahhst person to get ovahsensitive about this, and i think you ahhhh totally wrawng, but I know you were ahhh tawking about ow-ah beloved basketball Red Sawx so FAACK YOU YOU FACKING CAWKFACE!"

Not sure who the other least objective fanbase is, maybe Portland? But the basketball Patriots have to be one of them.
            Last edited by NewRapCity; Tue Feb 16, 2010, 06:20 PM. Reason: forgot we can swear

Comment

Simmons is easily the best writer and by far the most entertaining. He's completely off base with the Bargnani comparison though - to STILL compare Bargs to Okur and mention Gallinari in the same breath as Dirk is crazy.
              http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Comment

NewRapCity wrote: View Post
                "(As for the "least realistic about their own players" contest ... I think it's a battle to the death between two fan bases and two fan bases only. They know who they are.)"

LOL any guesses?
                As NewRapCity mentioned, Boston, and the other one is the Lakers. Not coincidentally, they are the two most successful teams in NBA history.

And Bill Simmons obviously hasn't met the Raptor fans who thought Pops would be a rotation player, Ukic would be a future star and that the Raptors were crazy for trading away Kris Humphries because he's irreplaceable.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I love reading Bill Simmons he is easily the only reason I still go to ESPN.com (well kind of). Still when reading Simmons stuff you just to take it with a grain of salt, he usually says pretty outrageous stuff (Like Lebron and Bosh both going to the bulls or Lebron heading to LAC).

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
                    And Bill Simmons obviously hasn't met the Raptor fans who thought Pops would be a rotation player, Ukic would be a future star and that the Raptors were crazy for trading away Kris Humphries because he's irreplaceable.
                    Has ANYONE met Khandor and FAQ?

Comment

haha, yea if we are in the upper echelon of knowledgeable basketball fans, I truly fear for the bottom of the barrel.

I love sports guy, but he's gotten lazy in the last couple years. I feel like he watches a guy for five minutes and then labels him for life. Bosh for Dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on. No thanks.

How many people would even trade Bargs for Dirk? Your paying more than twice as much money for a few points and rebounds per game. Throw in the seven year age gap, Bargs manageable contract and the fact that he still hasn't hit his peak. I never see Cuban making that deal, but does Bry fall out of his seat trying to make it? Bosh and Dirk together, that actually sounds pretty bad ass. But Bargs not being in the top fifty is pretty ludicrous. I bet Simmons hasn't watched him play in two years.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                        haha, yea if we are in the upper echelon of knowledgeable basketball fans, I truly fear for the bottom of the barrel.

I love sports guy, but he's gotten lazy in the last couple years. I feel like he watches a guy for five minutes and then labels him for life. Bosh for Dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on. No thanks.

How many people would even trade Bargs for Dirk? Your paying more than twice as much money for a few points and rebounds per game. Throw in the seven year age gap, Bargs manageable contract and the fact that he still hasn't hit his peak. I never see Cuban making that deal, but does Bry fall out of his seat trying to make it? Bosh and Dirk together, that actually sounds pretty bad ass. But Bargs not being in the top fifty is pretty ludicrous. I bet Simmons hasn't watched him play in two years.
                        Exactly. And LMAO to "Bosh for dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on?"
                        http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Comment

DarkKnight wrote: View Post
                          Exactly. And LMAO to "Bosh for dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on?"
                          Add Calderon and Belinelli and you're looking at a pretty nice whitewash there.

Comment

Working...
                          X