Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Jose Barea's display open more RR faithful to Kemba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Jose Barea's display open more RR faithful to Kemba?

Most RR faithful like the idea of Kemba "Isiah Thomas Walker being taken @ number 5 but for those who dont/didn't because of his size - are you now more open to it after seeing how dynamic Barea was on the NBA's biggest stage?

Mavs won final 3 games with him as a starter. Kemba is the same size and even an amazing half step faster... oh and BTW a national champion and the leading scorer in the nation last year...

If BC has to choose between Kemba and Jan Vesely no way in hell is he taking Jan... take that to the bank it will not happen.

McDonald's All-American Team (2008)

Big East Tournament Champion (2011)

Big East Tournament MVP (2011)

NCAA Champion (2011)

NCAA Basketball Tournament Most Outstanding Player (2011)

Bob Cousy Award (2011)

Lute Olson Award (2011)
    speed kills - vote kemba 2011
    Last edited by charlz; Tue Jun 14, 2011, 10:24 AM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

How about Chris Paul and Rajon Rondo? Seeing how they're around the same size as Kemba Walker.

Comment

no one believes me but i think kemba is the best player in this draft. We need to draft him

Comment

u may be right, he might be the best player... but u may be wrong. i agree with you though , kemba will definetly be a good NBA player but no one knows how good. Kemba is probably the safest pick at 5 .

Comment

If you look at Paul's pre-draft measurements and Walker's pre-draft measurements in addition to their combine results, they're awfully similar.

Comment

How does a good backup point guard performing well in a few playoff games increase Walker's stock? If anything, I'd imagine this (i.e. good backup point guard on a contending team) is a comparison you'd want to avoid.

As always, how does any player's performance or success affect another's future career? Does Nowitzki being Finals MVP improve Bargnani's perception?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              If you look at Paul's pre-draft measurements and Walker's pre-draft measurements in addition to their combine results, they're awfully similar.
              Paul is pretty special. He's a top 6 player in the NBA; Walker isn't even a definite top 6 pick at the moment. Any and all comparisons should really wait.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                Paul is pretty special. He's a top 6 player in the NBA; Walker isn't even a definite top 6 pick at the moment. Any and all comparisons should really wait.
                The comment was based on body type and measurements, notsomuch on their games and abilities.

Comment

In a draft like this one, taking Kemba couldn't hurt. I know some compare him to Bayless but to me Jerryd is a 2 in a 1's body and has very little natural pg abilities.

Kemba to me is a more natural pg and has characteristics and intangibles this team sorely lacks (leadership and moxie). The height as shown by JJ is not a factor if you're playing for a team that suits your skills. I don't think it will affect his stock either way but Barrea's play is a reminder that a talented player in the right system can be valuable regardless of height or his measurements.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    The comment was based on body type and measurements, notsomuch on their games and abilities.
                    Sorry, misunderstood. It's just that I keep hearing on this board stuff akin to "why can't Walker have a career like Paul's since they're the same size" Paul, like Walker, has pretty sub-par measurements as you noted. I'm more likely to bet on Biyombo being the next Ben Wallace than I am Walker having anywhere near Paul's impact.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                      u may be right, he might be the best player... but u may be wrong.
                      You've covered every angle there.

Comment

I really don't think Barea's performance has any bearing on Walker's draft stock, anymore than Lebron's terrible finals performance reminds us that even the best player can have some bad games. If anything, it reminds me just how much of a crap-shoot the draft is. Kemba could become the next great young PG in the NBA, or he could be a total bust who's ceiling is a change-of-pace backup... that's what watching Barea reinforced in my thought process.

I think the bigger determining factors for the question of who the Raptors draft are:

1. Who is available - obviously, but every draft has some surprises and they very rarely go according to plan, so who knows who might unexpectedly be available @ #5.

2. What deals are available - this is the big unknown, since we have no idea about: a) what trades are being discussed and could be made, which could potentially impact both the roster (ie: changing positional needs) and list of players available to be drafted (ie: do they move up, move down, move out or add additional lottery picks); b) which player(s) in the draft BC is truly targeting
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jun 14, 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I am not sure how good of a pg Barea really is. But he is quick and is unafraid of getting to the hole or taking the long shot. He was also used very well by his coach in matchups/sets that exploited the Heat deployment on the floor. I have a feeling that Kemba has much better skills than Barea...and taller too.

Comment

I don't think that Barea playing well in any way effects Kemba's stock. The question with Walker is whether or not he has the size and passing ability to be succesful at the NBA point, not whether or not he is capable of being a bench scorer. Like Apollo said, the performances of players like Chris Paul and Rondo is more what affects Kemba. I am starting to come around on Walker, but it is more due to reading interviews he's done than any one players performance. If we take either Knight or Walker I'll be quite pleased.
                            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

No offense, but the one thing that always has bugged me about the playoffs is people jumping to broad conclusions based on the small sample size they see in the playoffs. Barea started 5 games all year, averaged under 20 mpg, while shooting just over 40% for the playoffs, and had a horrible first 3 games against Miami, yet all people seem to remember from him were the few really good games he had against a team that didn't really have a player he needed to defend much.

Does anyone remember how well Kapono played in the playoffs against Orlando? Anyone notice how much he's done since then?

I'm not saying Barea won't do anything, but if you want to compare Kemba to Barea, then what you're saying is Kemba's future might be as a 20 mpg backup and that's certainly NOT what I'm looking for with a 5th pick in the draft. Thankfully, I think Kemba is probably going to be a better player than Barea.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X