No announcement yet.

Stein: Stojakovic Most Likely Gone Via Trade Rather Than Buyout Come Deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stein: Stojakovic Most Likely Gone Via Trade Rather Than Buyout Come Deadline

Something that I think most of us already knew, but Stein reaffirms this in today's ESPN Dime chatter.

The overwhelming sense in Toronto, according to multiple parties consulted, is that Peja Stojakovic is more likely to leave the Raptors by trade rather than buyout before the deadline.

At least that's the Raps' plan.

Yet if no follow-up swap materializes before Feb. 24 involving Stojakovic's $15 million expiring contract, he's a virtual lock to be bought out by the Raps before March 1, which would enable Peja to take his forever-accurate J J -- Dallas watched him ring up a quick 17 points in just 19 minutes this month -- to the contender of his choosing for the stretch run.

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo has already publicly acknowledged the buyout scenario and left the clear impression that he'll work with Stojakovic on a mutually beneficial parting when the time comes. One of the likely reasons: Without Stojakovic's cooperation in waiving $437,470 of a $1,215,953 trade kicker to make the salary-cap math work in the deal with New Orleans co-headlined by Jarrett Jack, Toronto couldn't have completed a trade that brought young Jerryd Bayless to Canada ... and finally rid the Raptors of Marcus Banks.

League rules on trade kickers only allowed Stojakovic to surrender the exact amount required to make the trade legal, but it was still a six-figure sacrifice that otherwise could have scuttled the deal.

The Serbian sharpshooter, furthermore, is determined to stay in the NBA for two or three more seasons after this one, according to agent David Baumann, despite the persistent wishful thinking from European teams about luring the 33-year-old back to their shores.

And a buyout, frankly, is possible even if Peja gets traded again, depending on the state of the team that acquires him. It's not hard to imagine, should Peja shake loose, more than a few top teams trying to woo him in March when veteran shooters and big men who become in-season free agents are hot commodities.
    Source - Click here

I wouldn't count on Peja being traded.

He can still be pretty effective in limited minutes, about 15 a game.

The only scenario in which I think he will get traded by the deadline is

1. Davis gets up to speed by then; i.e. can play 20 + mpg somewhat effectively keeping in mind that he is rookie with only about 1.5 seasons of NCAA expeience

2. BC gets a very good deal from a playoff contending team who will take on Peja's contract in the hope that in limited minutes per game Peja's three ball shooting will be beneficial to a serious playoff contending team.

My sense is that especially now with Evan's injury and the unknown's of whether Johnson can stay on the court effectively for more than 20 mpg and how fast Davis will get up to speed Peja will not be given away by an stretch of the imagination.

Peja can definitely help the Raptors in limited situational minutes.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

+ 1. He can be very valuable to this team. The game last night has proven that stretching the floor can give the Celtics problem. He was brought in here to do exactly just that. If he plays 20-25 minutes, why not. Defensively he's a pylon but the team as a WHOLE is playing much better defense. Now if Sacramento decides to give up Dalembert for him then that would be a very different story. We'll have to find our 3pt shooting elsewhere. Peja in my opinion is a good acquisition. Many teams are very wary of his 3pt shooting. He can hurt many teams with this and I think this is a message from the basketball gods that he MUST be completely utilized after the Reggie injury.

PS> Brendan Haywood (+parts) is not a happy camper in Dallas too. Perhaps Peja can go to that team. I wouldn't mind that either.
      Last edited by Balls of Steel; Sat Nov 27, 2010, 12:29 PM.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        + 1. He can be very valuable to this team. The game last night has proven that stretching the floor can give the Celtics problem. He was brought in here to do exactly just that. If he plays 20-25 minutes, why not. Defensively he's a pylon but the team as a WHOLE is playing much better defense. Now if Sacramento decides to give up Dalembert for him then that would be a very different story. We'll have to find our 3pt shooting elsewhere. Peja in my opinion is a good acquisition. Many teams are very wary of his 3pt shooting. He can hurt many teams with this and I think this is a message from the basketball gods that he MUST be completely utilized after the Reggie injury.

PS> Brendan Haywood (+parts) is not a happy camper in Dallas too. Perhaps Peja can go to that team. I wouldn't mind that either.
        I see no reason that Peja won't love it in Toronto. I think most International players love it in Toronto as well they should.

I don't think that BC will give away Peja especially if Peja has indicates that he would resign with Raptors next season for a very reasonable amount. Peja may do this because it is Toronto (the city) and the Raptors are an up and coming young and exciting team that appears not to know the word "quit"
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Unless we intend on resigning him this summer on the cheap as a vet presence going foward, ditch him by the trade deadline. He does very little to help the rebuild.

Comment

I think the only question is what we can get for him. There were several teams who were interested in acquiring him from New Orleans, and they are apparently still interested. There is going to be some contender (whether big or small) who will be interested in a three-point threat. So, what can we get for him?

I personally want to see us wait until Jan 20th so that we can also pair him with someone else. Barbosa is another piece that a contender could use. Pairing them together could get us a good haul of young players and potentially draft picks.
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

There is no doubt Peja will either be traded or bought out. Colangelo has all but assured that to the media and it would seem to Peja as well. MY hope is traded with a draft pick or young player coming back.

He is not at a point in his career where he is wanting to rebuild or capable of playing huge minutes. His final few years in the league will probably be similar to Robert Horry with the Spurs.

Comment

There are two players that you never ever ever ever leave open around the arc: Ray Allen and Peja Stojakovic. If they shoot the 3 when they are open or get a shest-level pass, it always goes in about 99%.

Raptors need a Dell Curry player that can depend on so we can take advantage of our double teams (if we can get them to do so).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  There is no doubt Peja will either be traded or bought out. Colangelo has all but assured that to the media and it would seem to Peja as well. MY hope is traded with a draft pick or young player coming back.

He is not at a point in his career where he is wanting to rebuild or capable of playing huge minutes. His final few years in the league will probably be similar to Robert Horry with the Spurs.
                  Just like there was no doubt that Jose would be traded and not Jack.

I agree that BC will trade him, but only if it is a steal of deal like it was with Jack for Bayless and Delfino and that other guy, for Johnson and Weems.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    Just like there was no doubt that Jose would be traded and not Jack.

I agree that BC will trade him, but only if it is a steal of deal like it was with Jack for Bayless and Delfino and that other guy, for Johnson and Weems.
                    Why didn't you finish bolding in red the rest of that sentence?

It is quite clear if Peja is not traded he will be bought out. Either way he does not finish the year with the Raptors. That was my point. The idea of getting a good young player or draft pick out of Peja would, in my opinion, be a steal of a deal.

What does Jack or Calderon have to do with anything? I still think Calderon will be traded as well if at all possible. Colangelo has made it clear that 'one or both of Jack or Jose' would go. One is gone, tick, tick, tick on the other.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Why didn't you finish bolding in red the rest of that sentence?

It is quite clear if Peja is not traded he will be bought out. Either way he does not finish the year with the Raptors. That was my point. The idea of getting a good young player or draft pick out of Peja would, in my opinion, be a steal of a deal.

What does Jack or Calderon have to do with anything? I still think Calderon will be traded as well if at all possible. Colangelo has made it clear that 'one or both of Jack or Jose' would go. One is gone, tick, tick, tick on the other.
                      Bought out?

Why?

Do they have another great three point shooter that they can get for less?

Maybe the Raptors want to win and are willing to pay his salary for the rest of the season.

Yes he is overpaid but if he can help the Raptors make the playoffs I doubt that he will be bought out.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        Bought out?

Why?

Do they have another great three point shooter that they can get for less?

Maybe the Raptors want to win and are willing to pay his salary for the rest of the season.

Yes he is overpaid but if he can help the Raptors make the playoffs I doubt that he will be bought out.
                        I am of the view the Raptors should not tank but do not see them making the playoffs. That is just my opinion and time will tell.

https://twitter.com/ryanmcneill/stat...9079697358848#
                        "Colangelo also said that the team would look into a trade or buyout if Peja Stojaokovic doesn't like his role here in Toronto."

This was the quote I was thinking of. I did not remember the part about "...if Peja doesn't like his role here..."

If the Raptors are not playoff bound after the trade deadline, I would suspect he would be bought out. Not to save money but to give him a chance to play with a contender (March 1st if the deadline).

However, after being wrong on my memory of the above twitter quote, I went back and had a look at some articles of late on Peja. This comment stands out:

"“I don’t know what the next move is,” Stojakovic said. “I know they’re trying to develop some guys. I just want to play. At this point of my career, I just want to play. I may not be a starter type of player. If I have another role, that’s something I could embrace.”"
                        http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../16303551.html

That certainly alters my view but given Colangelo's track record, given Peja's expiring contract, and given how valuable he could be to a playoff team especially if he is give the opportunity to play in Toronto which is looking very likely, I think he will be traded. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                        X