Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is everyone ruling out Phil doing a favor and going to Charlotte with MJ to help turn the Bobcats around? after all MJ is the reason he has 6 of those rings.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      Is everyone ruling out Phil doing a favor and going to Charlotte with MJ to help turn the Bobcats around? after all MJ is the reason he has 6 of those rings.
      All we know, I think, is the one line from the OP article, where it says that the situation in Charlotte was not initially appealing to Jackson...with no mention if he has, or will reconsider. Other than the Jordan connection, I can't see any reason why that situation would be appealing, except that he'd definitely at least get to choose a coach.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        Jordan is a notorious cheapskate who, while extremely wealthy, is nowhere near the deep pockets of Rogers/Bell/MLSE.

Just my opinion but I don't see Jackson, after having spent his time in LA with a blank cheque, will be impressed with the idea of financial decisions trumping basketball decisions. Not saying MLSE is opening the vault but the vault reserves are much more plentiful should they be needed.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          All we know, I think, is the one line from the OP article, where it says that the situation in Charlotte was not initially appealing to Jackson...with no mention if he has, or will reconsider. Other than the Jordan connection, I can't see any reason why that situation would be appealing, except that he'd definitely at least get to choose a coach.
          I could see it be more appealing if an ambitious man like Jackson is given a lot of control, Charlotte presents Phil with a Marble stone for him to carve to his whim. Im not sure how much leeway he will be given right away with Toronto Leiweke said he would wait and see in an interview I believe it hints towards BC and DC being given this next season to as a last chance.

Charlotte lands Phil he gets:

30 million in cap (correct me on this)
          Ability to appoint a new coach
          Working with a player he has utmost respect for
          Establish an identity
          Draft picks

Comment

With the talk of Jackson and Charlotte, one has to wonder how that makes Rich Cho feel. From what I remember last year when he took the job in Charlotte it was a condition he have full basketball control (I can't find any mention of that from a quick google search).

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...ns-to-rich-cho

Cho took over an awful mess in Charlotte and anyone there will need time to straighten the situation out.

Comment

I would be happy with Phil taking a Riley role with this franchise. He is well connected and very knowledgable. I would assume that he'd immediately hire Brian Shaw and institute the Triangle on offence, which would necessarily be a bad thing. With Lowry's game being more of a scorer than distributer, we could run the triangle with him, Gay and JV/Amir.

He would bring more respectability to the franchise and might even be able to land us a free agent in the near future. Something no other GM has been able to do
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                The difference is Colangelo led the Nash chase while Tim Leiweke leads the Jackson chase.
                At this point I'm too pesimistic that anyone can lift this curse that seems to be over the team. If Leiweke manages to get us out of this hole, and I'm not talking by just getting Phil, but if he's actually able to change the fortunes of this team I may have to dedicate a small portion of my home to create an altar where I can worship him.

I will call this new religion Leiwekism.

Comment

Isn't MJ generally known as being a jackass? Why would anyone want to work with him?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    At this point I'm too pesimistic that anyone can lift this curse that seems to be over the team. If Leiweke manages to get us out of this hole, and I'm not talking by just getting Phil, but if he's actually able to change the fortunes of this team I may have to dedicate a small portion of my home to create an altar where I can worship him.

I will call this new religion Leiwekism.
                    What are you talking about? Being poorly run isn't a curse. It's bad management. I don't know what curse you are referring to...

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                      Isn't MJ generally known as being a jackass? Why would anyone want to work with him?
                      They wouldn't. When you're pretty much the consensus GOAT, and you still have a chip on your shoulder, and feel like people don't respect you or recognize how great you are...well then people will actually start to lose respect for you. Grow up MJ. This is ownership, and your ego can't build a team.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        What are you talking about? Being poorly run isn't a curse. It's bad management. I don't know what curse you are referring to...
                        We've been around since '95 and have a single playoff series win in that time. As a fan I see that as being cursed. If you don't see it that way and feel that we've been "poorly run" for that duration then that's your prerogative.

Comment

We've been around since '95 and have a single playoff series win in that time. As a fan I see that as being cursed. If you don't see it that way and feel that we've been "poorly run" for that duration then that's your prerogative.
                          Well, we've arguably never had a fully competent front office. Grunwald did ok, but it was a rush job to try and put some kind of playoff team around Carter.

The team has also never had ownership that actually cared about winning. So yeah, I would say how the organization was run was the biggest problem. They only cared about money, which hasn't really been a problem since the Carter era. When ownership doesn't care about team success, the team will never experience a high level of success.

Comment

You seriously believe the team is cursed? Really? Is this 1692?

Comment

What would this curse be based on? There's no Babe-Ruth trade here. Unless you count our existence as the sole justification for a curse, in which case your extreme pessemism might need professional help.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Curses are viable to some interesting story unrelated to the Raptors.... 18 years of straight loses is a long time really will make a person believe in that kind of thing lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Colonel

Comment

Working...
                                X