15th man- Backup Centre or 3rd PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th man- Backup Centre or 3rd PG

its the dog days of summer so kinda stretching on topics here but there has been a lot of talk about which need we should focus on with our last spot so figured try to get it all on 1 thread, let's see where raps fan heads are at including options at each spot...

current roster (14)

PG- Lowry, Vasquez
    SG- Derozan, Williams
    SF- Ross, J. Johnson, Fields, Caboclo
    PF- A. Johnson, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C- Valanciunas, Hayes, Nogueira

3rd Guard- we have serious talent in the backcourt so if we go with the 3rd PG option it would have to be someone willing to accept that role on a min contract (under $1mil) that just looking to break into/stay in the league

options- no idea whose available in the 3rd string range but i'm still sticking with Myck Kabongo just for the good story and the fact he'll be dirt cheap project, didn't impress in SL but he showed good defence, a quick first step, aggressive drives to the rim and always looked for teammates...and it's irrelevant cause he's get no playing time outside garbage minutes.

Backup Centre- going into the season with Hansbrough, Hayes & Bebe as the options behind JV makes me real nervous...of the 3 i'd give the minutes to Hansbrough but I'd say this is a real concern. Unfortunately Hayes is a bad player that makes $6 mil and is likely untradeable right now so at most we're talking about $2.5mil range to spend here.

options- i'd say just 2...the ultra talented head case Andray Blatche or the high risk, high reward Emeka Okafor (if he's willing to sign for such a massive pay cut)

I think we should go with a Backup Center and either Okafor or Blatche makes us better for the $2.5mil we have left to spend..another option is just to keep Daniels on the roster though it makes no sense as the 5th SF
    Last edited by RepTdot; Sat Jul 19, 2014, 01:25 PM.

Sign a backup center, so if JV sustains an injury for 10 games there is a competent replacement

Comment

PG

Don't want Lou Williams thrust into a role playing most of his minutes at PG. Our depth at the big spots proved to be fine last year. Yes, we lack size behind JV, but he's going to gobble up a lot of the minutes there anyway. Again, while we lack a bit of size on the depth chart, we have guys who are useful in different ways and can cover most matchups we'd face. At PG though, it would be really nice to have a guy who plays within himself able to step up and play 10-15 mpg if someone gets injured, thus allowing everyone to stay more or less in their same roles.

*Ideally I'd want both, sign a 3rd PG and Okafor....but that seems unlikely at this point.

Comment

I've been a pretty vocal about picking up a C over a PG.

I have two concerns.

1) Chuck Hayes playing back center.
        2) Amir Johnson playing too many minutes

Basically, the only way Hayes doesn't get the back-up C minutes is if they go to Amir or Nogueira. I don't think Nogueira is ready for back up minutes which means it's Amir of Hayes. Amir is our starting PF, so if he's pulling in double duty as the back up Center I think he'll be logging too many minutes. I don't want Amir playing more than 24 minutes/game this year.

HOWEVER, the Raps have enough guys to that can play PF (PP,TH, and maybe JJ or LF as small ball PFs) that you should be able to have Amir play more back up minutes at Center without having him log too many minutes overall. It'd be tricky to get the minutes right, but it's possible. If this is the case, than you'd only need another C in the event of an injury to Jonas. Which seems less likely than Lowry getting injured.

As long as there aren't any injuries our roster is looking pretty sweet top to bottom (especially if it's Amir taking most the back up Center minutes).

So I say, leave the roster spot open, and grab someone if there's a sustained injury.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Leave it open
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

There's also still no word on what they're going to do with Nogueira. Could end up with space for both.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              There's also still no word on what they're going to do with Nogueira. Could end up with space for both.
              Last I heard they were in the process of buying him out. MU wants him here now.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                Last I heard they were in the process of buying him out. MU wants him here now.
                Then to me it really only makes sense to sign a PG. Having 7 bigs is just a little unnecessary. If we're going to bring in Bebe, it doesn't make much sense to have him on the roster and not use him, even in case of emergencies.

Comment

Masai should just go BPA. We have a need at both positions, but it's a tiny ~5 minutes per game need. If you put a gun to my head I'd go backup center. That's based on this logic:

Lowry gets injured, Vasquez starts at PG.

JV gets injured, Hayes/Bebe/Hansbrough starts at C.

One of those positions is in much better hands. Scary that I'm talking myself into signing Blatche.

Comment

With both Lowry and GV under contract using the last roster spot to develop a big is better.Hayes expires and even if he returns on a vet min contract having a big in the pipeline would be better. Also JV,Bebe,Patterson need a punching bag in practice more than our guards.

Comment

PG. Its a real possibility that Kyle gets hurt just because of the way he plays and if it happens then we gotta play Lou as backup to Greivis which is no good. Buycks shouldn't even be an option.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

say no to blatche
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          With both Lowry and GV under contract using the last roster spot to develop a big is better.Hayes expires and even if he returns on a vet min contract having a big in the pipeline would be better. Also JV,Bebe,Patterson need a punching bag in practice more than our guards.
                          Develop a big? We're developing 2, maybe even 3 (Jonas, Bebe, and 2Pat)....We don't need another project or punching bag. I don't know how many more bigs in the pipeline you need....

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                          PG. Its a real possibility that Kyle gets hurt just because of the way he plays and if it happens then we gotta play Lou as backup to Greivis which is no good. Buycks shouldn't even be an option.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
                          This is my thought too. Yes, it would be bad on the flip side if Jonas got hurt, but it's easier to manage with utility bigs than it is to manage without enough PGs. We lose some size, but Hayes and Amir are capable defenders even if neither has the complete physical package for C that Jonas does. And Hansbrough can bang, and maybe Bebe can give spot minutes especially as the year goes on....We'd lose some O in the middle, but most guys we could get would not be great replacements. Bringing in another guy just seems like cluttering the frontcourt, unless we'd be trading someone else for a guard.

But PG? Vasquez moves to start, and he's also a guy you don't want to wear out with too many minutes. Lou can back him up, but he's not a PG. He just isn't. He's capable of pulling such duties in a pinch, but I'd still rather have a 3rd PG who can give 10-15 minutes a night, let Lou do his thing mostly as a scoring guard behind DeMar, and keep the offence flowing as close to normally as possible.

Comment

PG

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Develop a big? We're developing 2, maybe even 3 (Jonas, Bebe, and 2Pat)....We don't need another project or punching bag. I don't know how many more bigs in the pipeline you need....

This is my thought too. Yes, it would be bad on the flip side if Jonas got hurt, but it's easier to manage with utility bigs than it is to manage without enough PGs. We lose some size, but Hayes and Amir are capable defenders even if neither has the complete physical package for C that Jonas does. And Hansbrough can bang, and maybe Bebe can give spot minutes especially as the year goes on....We'd lose some O in the middle, but most guys we could get would not be great replacements. Bringing in another guy just seems like cluttering the frontcourt, unless we'd be trading someone else for a guard.

But PG? Vasquez moves to start, and he's also a guy you don't want to wear out with too many minutes. Lou can back him up, but he's not a PG. He just isn't. He's capable of pulling such duties in a pinch, but I'd still rather have a 3rd PG who can give 10-15 minutes a night, let Lou do his thing mostly as a scoring guard behind DeMar, and keep the offence flowing as close to normally as possible.
                              Lou is a terrible PG but better than any PG you'll find now. If Lowry or GV misses time, Marshal, Craft or Kobongo isn't really an option. We have 3 bigs - JV,Amir and Bebe teams usually carry 4 if they rely on the frontcourt. PPat and Hands are ideally 4 and limited and Hayes is even more limited

Comment

Working...
                              X