The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think he plays within the system at Kansas and has shown ability to take over when warranted.

Not intending to be disrespectful to your comment/post but those are the same types of comments that were made about Drummond. I think talent triumphs at the NBA level and with the differences between college and pro game I think he will excel.
    Thats a good point about Drummond, but Drummond wasn't in the conversation to go #1 either. I'm just thinking if we somehow land the #1 pick should we go after Wiggins, whom pound for pound probably has the most potential in this draft, but has shown signs of maybe not being ready to go from day one, or someone like Parker or Randle whom look like they can start right away? There are a lot more expectations from the #1 pick as opposed to #9 where you can afford to take a chance on a guy with potential.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Thats a good point about Drummond, but Drummond wasn't in the conversation to go #1 either. I'm just thinking if we somehow land the #1 pick should we go after Wiggins, whom pound for pound probably has the most potential in this draft, but has shown signs of maybe not being ready to go from day one, or someone like Parker or Randle whom look like they can start right away? There are a lot more expectations from the #1 pick as opposed to #9 where you can afford to take a chance on a guy with potential.
      Day one isn't that important. Take the guy who's going to be best Year 3-10. Besides, if we were to land Wiggins, and he doesn't lead the team to the playoffs right away, then he's going to get better help in the subsequent drafts to help build a stronger franchise. If Parker can lead his team to the playoffs in year 1, then he better be ready to do most of the heavy lifting for the next 5 years to repeat it.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Earlier in the season he was in discussion for #1.

He fell for the very concerns you highlighted about Wiggins.

I think you go with who you think has a better NBA career.

He might not develop immediately but there were A LOT of questions surrounding Durant in his rookie year as well.

Comment

• Is LaVine 100% white? Not usually one to bring up race, but if he is he might just be the most athletic white American prospect ever...

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Day one isn't that important. Take the guy who's going to be best Year 3-10. Besides, if we were to land Wiggins, and he doesn't lead the team to the playoffs right away, then he's going to get better help in the subsequent drafts to help build a stronger franchise. If Parker can lead his team to the playoffs in year 1, then he better be ready to do most of the heavy lifting for the next 5 years to repeat it.
            But how do you know whom will have the best career though if they are not showing that drive which some other guys are showing. I'm not comparing Wiggins to Perry Jones III, but there are some comparisons to be made as far as talent/drive.

I guess my question is in this draft can we afford to wait on potential or go for the sure thing? Personally, I do think that where ever the Raptors make their pick in this particular draft they have to go for a guy that can take over a game. We have enough role players and it's time to go for someone can create/score.

Comment

Earlier in the season he was in discussion for #1.

He fell for the very concerns you highlighted about Wiggins.

I think you go with who you think has a better NBA career.

He might not develop immediately but there were A LOT of questions surrounding Durant in his rookie year as well.
              I'm really interested in how MU is going to evaluate the talent in this draft. He's done well with late picks, and I think this will be the first time he is able to pick in the lottery. I'm really confident he will find the best talent available. If there is any disappointment in the Gay trade it's that he wasn't able to get any picks thrown in..even 2nd rounders.

Comment

But how do you know whom will have the best career though if they are not showing that drive which some other guys are showing. I'm not comparing Wiggins to Perry Jones III, but there are some comparisons to be made as far as talent/drive.

I guess my question is in this draft can we afford to wait on potential or go for the sure thing? Personally, I do think that where ever the Raptors make their pick in this particular draft they have to go for a guy that can take over a game. We have enough role players and it's time to go for someone can create/score.
                The Raps aren't going anywhere for the next 2-3 seasons, we can afford to wait for the potential if MU believes that Wiggins will be the better player.

Wiggins can take over a game, and did so throughout high school. But the kid is wired differently than a Kobe or MJ and has a lot more of a LeBron mentality, he wants to play within the team system and make his teammates better.

PJ3 is a bit of an extreme example. He has no motor and never even turned it on for stretches. Wiggins turns it on and does need to turn it on a bit more but right now he's adjusting to new teammates, new environment, etc. He makes everything look so easy that it looks like he isn't trying as hard. They used to say the same thing about T-Mac, effortless but not without effort.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Nosike wrote: View Post
                  Is LaVine 100% white? Not usually one to bring up race, but if he is he might just be the most athletic white American prospect ever...
                  African American Jewish hybrid is my take.

Comment

• Comment

• Wiggins taking a couple years to develop is perfect - too quick a jump up the standings will hurt the team in the long run. Slow, continuous progress (collecting a couple top picks along the way) is the way to go, until contracts drop off the books, and we can sign some players to complement our newly drafted core.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Wiggins taking a couple years to develop is perfect - too quick a jump up the standings will hurt the team in the long run. Slow, continuous progress (collecting a couple top picks along the way) is the way to go, until contracts drop off the books, and we can sign some players to complement our newly drafted core.
                        Especially with the Raps already holding an extra 1st round pick in 2016. I firmly believe in (and support) a methodical 2.5 year rebuilding process, to start their run as a perennial playoff team (and contender for deep playoff runs, at least) in the 2016-17 season.

That gives MU 3 years to build the team efficiently & effectively (1 season to undo the past and 2 seasons to rebuild), then 2 seasons to start truly competing, within the framework of his 5-year contract.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Especially with the Raps already holding an extra 1st round pick in 2016. I firmly believe (and support) in a methodical 2.5 year rebuilding process, to start their run as a perennial playoff team (and contender for deep playoff runs, at least) in the 2016-17 season.
                          Agreed, plus 2 picks in 2016 is prime time to be able to make a move (package a pick for an established player or move up in the draft).

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Wiggins taking a couple years to develop is perfect - too quick a jump up the standings will hurt the team in the long run. Slow, continuous progress (collecting a couple top picks along the way) is the way to go, until contracts drop off the books, and we can sign some players to complement our newly drafted core.
                            The Raptors have wealthy ownership and the CBA to allow them to go over the cap with Bird Rights.

Goal should absolutely be to get high draft picks for next 2 drafts and hopefully squeeze out an extra first round pick or two along the way.

Comment

NBADraft.net has their board updated.

Zach LaVine at #5 in 2014.

I'm not surprised. I have serious emotions about that kid. lol
                              Yeah, i've finally got the chance to watch the Bruins play. LaVine is ridiculously talented.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• It's called a "trade". If the raps can't pick him they'll just send whoever they draft plus whatever else to get him. The match is too good. Or believe the nba conspiracy theories ... Ewing to knicks, Lebron to cavs, Wiggins to raps.

Comment

Working...
                                X