Tom Thibodeau: Raptor players would be wise to listen to a winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    When we're talking good coaches please do not bring up Sam Mitchell. He is a terrible coach and the proof is in the pudding, since he was fired in 2009 he hasn't even been rumored to be in the running for any other head coaching positions. He was also quickly replaced after a year as the Nets assistant coach.
    A terrible coach who yells at the players is still a terrible coach. He shouldn't even been mentioned in same sentence as Thibs.
    I'm not saying he's a great coach, but I brought him up because he wasn't afraid to lay into a player which was performing poorly which is what I think Casey doesn't do (and Triano before him). You can't argue that he's the only Raptors coach to have won COY and led the team to I beleive it's second best record. Does that make him a great coach? No. But does it prove he got results by his method of coaching? Yes.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      This is why the video/interview bombs and the player interviews during a 34-48 season disturb me. I do question the mental toughness of just about every Raptor minus JV and possibly Amir.
      I think it's a thin line Matt. You don't want a lottery team to be happy or satisfied with missing the playoffs, so I can see where the video bombs and constant clowning around can be interpreted the wrong way. But you don't want them to be miserable and at each other's throats the entire team either... That's when you get a Washington Wizards situation like in recent years.

Comment

A bit misleading.. for some reason I thought Tom Thibodeau had said something about the Raptors. That does not appear to be the case.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Lowry desperately needs a guy who can challenge him
          We've seen this movie already. When Lowry went down early this season, Jose took his starting job permanently. Kyle's play plummeted. I really don't want to see that again.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            I think it's a thin line Matt. You don't want a lottery team to be happy or satisfied with missing the playoffs, so I can see where the video bombs and constant clowning around can be interpreted the wrong way. But you don't want them to be miserable and at each other's throats the entire team either... That's when you get a Washington Wizards situation like in recent years.
            Fair enough and good point. Agreed it is a thin line.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
              A bit misleading.. for some reason I thought Tom Thibodeau had said something about the Raptors. That does not appear to be the case.
              Sorry, not the intent.

Comment

Thibodeau: "In all my years in this, one thing has never changed: You win with serious, tough-minded players. That never changes"

Bargnani fits this bill perfectly.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

This isn't on the players. The players are as advertised.

This is on Colangelo:

You want tough minded players? You go get tough minded players.

What you do not do is try to turn soft players into something they're not. I think this should be well established here now.

Comment

It's great to have self motivated tough minded players but the Coach preaching and teaching toughness is what makes THE big difference. Even Bargnani can be tough under Thibodeau.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Wait a second, didn't they just hire a "tough coach"? You bring Thibodeau here and suddenly the luster rubs off when he's given a bunch of square pegs and a round hole.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Wait a second, didn't they just hire a "tough coach"? You bring Thibodeau here and suddenly the luster rubs off when he's given a bunch of square pegs and a round hole.
                        Exactly. Where do people get the idea that an NBA coach can make a 20+yo basketball player "tougher"? I don't even know if it's the case at the kids' sports level, let alone once a guy has been playing for 15+ years and has reached the top of his profession. Coaching can teach skills and maximize physical talent, but a person's mental makeup/approach to the game is not the same.

If possible, I'd love to hear an example of this happening -- a coach preaching toughness and a player who started out with a "soft" reputation actually becoming tougher as a result.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Wait a second, didn't they just hire a "tough coach"?
                          No they hired Dwane Casey.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Within

I hate bringing up Vince because it can sometimes derail a thread but Vince Carter is a prime example of no one being able to teach "toughness" or instill "toughness". The player has to want it, he has to be motivated. He has to appreciate what it takes and why it's worth it. Leaders offer encouragement but they can't make a player "want it", that comes from within. It can mean the difference between Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant or for that matter, Andrea Bargnani and Arvydas Sabonis.

Comment

I hate bringing up Vince because it can sometimes derail a thread but Vince Carter is a prime example of no one being able to teach "toughness" or instill "toughness". The player has to want it, he has to be motivated. He has to appreciate what it takes and why it's worth it. Leaders offer encouragement but they can't make a player "want it", that comes from within. It can mean the difference between Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant or for that matter, Andrea Bargnani and Arvydas Sabonis.
                              A Tough Coach is one who can makes a player "want it" as opposed to the Coach who can't make a player "want it". Toughness unlike shooting, rebounding, passing etc. is not a talent. It's a 'quality' that needs to be taught. Either by self or Coach.

If a Coach had Vince and Kobe on his team, Kobe need not be taught 'toughness' because he teaches himself. Vince on the other hand is not self-motivated. It(motivation) needs to come from outside. Now, will Vince at any point of time be as good as Kobe? Of course not but the Coach can ensure that he's tougher than his natural self.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I disagree, I don't think toughness can be taught but I'm open minded. I think it was jimmie who asked for someone to present examples...

Comment

Working...
                                X