The Sports Guy on Bryan Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legalize-It wrote: View Post
    why does kleiza get the benefit that he will improve in the long run and beasley doesnt ?
    Because they dont like Beasley and do like kleiza..thats why this argument lacks any logic....

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...k11picks/part1

The above is the link to the entire article.

For the time being, I am a big supporter of BC - for the time being. Essentially, he has this year and next offseason to work some magic on the trade, draft, and free agency front. I am a firm believer this team does not need anymore role players or good players off the bench. They have that. Look at what is coming back next year as of now (and hopefully 1 or both PG's will be moved). What the Raptors need now are 2 or 3 great players - hopefully one of the guys becomes a great player and add another couple some other way.

With that said, the issue I have with the article is the title: "NBA Retro Review".

IF he was talking in July about how great Beasley was going to be this season ,I'd give him some credibility. But he is basing this on hindsight and 5 games. He should not be calling out BC alone, every other GM had the opportunity to get him but they chose not to. The issues for this are well known and not needed to be addressed yet again.

Regardless of hindsight, I do not think it is fair to judge not taking Beasley until the TPE is used or, if not used, what the resulting cap space yields around draft time or next summer.

Also, Simmons is reporting the Amir deal as it was originally reported at 5/$34. It is not. The true numbers are closing to 5/$29. Also, the guy is 23 years old, shoots 62%FG, 92%FT, rebounds, and hustles. IMO he is a great big off the bench. The reality is Amir was unrestricted as well - BC did not have the luxury of matching. Despite all this, I do think he overpaid by $1M per season.

The Kleiza deal is not bad either (4/$18). In the long term, he will be a bench player as well and again, he is a great guy to have coming off the bench.

Considering the average NBA salary is $5.85M per season as of 2009/10, the real question becomes: are Kleiza and Johnson average NBA players? I think so - maybe a little better but not much.

I am VERY happy for Beasley but the reality is people could have just as easily been saying, "Kahn was stupid for taking Beasley, he should have known better." I hope they don't, but in time they still might.
      this is the problem... it's very hard to "work some magic" and all of a sudden be agood team.
      it takes time... some people on this board still think a gm can just make a few phone calls and the team is playing in the nba finals...

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
        beasley is a headcase... period

ya, he would be the most talented player on the raps if they got him.

talent isnt the issue.

this city would eat him up and spit him out. the vices here are ridiculous if you have the capabilities or desire to partake... and beasley has shown that he, in fact, is a person with those desires

his situation in minny is ideal for him.. he has a franchise (and a GM) that is committed in helping his personal growth, and an enviroment without as many temptations as toronto has
        \

This whole post is non sense....THIS city would eat him up ? lol
        He can get anything in Minneapolis that he can get here....have you been to Minny ? if not pls stop talking about things you dont know anything about....

What has he shown ? That a young player who hasnt matured yet can get into trouble,newsflash he isnt the first yet for some reason he is the standard on this board for this amzing new phenomenon....Guess what as he matures and gets older like most players do he'll figure it out......but dont exaggerate how bad his situation was and how bad it is....

lol @ the temptations in Toronto being a players downfall in the NBA

such non sense....

Comment

this is the problem... it's very hard to "work some magic" and all of a sudden be agood team.
          it takes time... some people on this board still think a gm can just make a few phone calls and the team is playing in the nba finals...
          Not I said the fly. Not me said the bee.

You are correct it is very hard to "work some magic". But BC has done it twice before (once for TOR and once for PHX) - 3 times if you are willing to count the year Stoudemire played only 3 games yet they still won 54 - so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - for now.

I have no illusions of the Raptors playing in the NBA finals next year or possibly the year after. But a competitive playoff team is not out of the question and that is what I'm looking for in the next season or two. This year I hope they just work, improve the guys already here and will be next year, and get a top 3 draft pick.

Comment

why does kleiza get the benefit that he will improve in the long run and beasley doesnt ?
            Because Kleiza has proven he can be a roll player on a good team. Beasley hasn't. Beasley looks good right now because he is the main scorer on a bad team. If the talent level around him increased, he would be asked to shoot less. The less he shoots, the less value he has. His only real value is as a volume shooter. He has never shown an ability to do the little things to help a team win, which is the main reason Riley got rid of him.

Another reason I would choose Kleiza over Beasley is because if Beasley ends up averaging 20+ for the season, his value will be overinflated and you'll end up overpaying him. I'd rather pay Kleiza what he is making now, knowing that I can still use him when the team improves, than pay Beasley twice as much even though his value to the team will decrease as the team (hopefully) improves.

Trife76 wrote: View Post
            Because they dont like Beasley and do like kleiza..thats why this argument lacks any logic....
            Perhaps next time, instead of throwing out a blanket insult because you disagree, you try and take the time to find out the reasons behind someone's argument. Or is that simply too difficult?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              think both you and the Sports Guy are vastly overvaluing Beasley. He's a volume scorer that does little else. Amir Johnson, despite his flaws, is a much better piece on a winning team than Beasley, who would have quite a bit of trouble fitting in on a contender where he was not the leading scorer. Much like he did in Miami. Beasley is the perfect guy for a team that doesn't want to win.

And you're judging Kleiza WAY too early. I'm pretty sure he's going to be easily worth his contract in the long run.
              Thats kind of a contradiction isn't it? This is only Beasley's third year in the L, and he's contending for western conference player of the week. Miami was completely the wrong fit for him, plain and simple. Kleiza and Amir probably are better role players, but Beez is a franchise player. I don't understand how you can go wrong with a franchise player, who other then got busted for smoking pot, hasn't really done anything else wrong to lose my respect. And lets be honest, I think allot of pro athletes smoke pot.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                Thats kind of a contradiction isn't it? This is only Beasley's third year in the L, and he's contending for western conference player of the week. Miami was completely the wrong fit for him, plain and simple. Kleiza and Amir probably are better role players, but Beez is a franchise player. I don't understand how you can go wrong with a franchise player, who other then got busted for smoking pot, hasn't really done anything else wrong to lose my respect. And lets be honest, I think allot of pro athletes smoke pot.
                I think its too soon to say he's a franchise guy lol
                and dont take this assinine argument seriously,just read the SN's and recognize its some biased front runnin goin on here....

Ppl are actually arguing beasley is a bum and kleiza is good based on what we seen so far clearly have there head up there asses ,but thats the typical online raptor fan for ya....

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                  It is my understanding there was more going on with Beasley than smoking pot. There were serious mental health issues, depression, and a legit fear for his safety at one point two summers ago. This is why I'm happy everything appears to be working out for the guy but at the same time I'm glad TOR wasn't the one who took the gamble on him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    It is my understanding there was more going on with Beasley than smoking pot. There were serious mental health issues, depression, and a legit fear for his safety at one point two summers ago. This is why I'm happy everything appears to be working out for the guy but at the same time I'm glad TOR wasn't the one who took the gamble on him.
                    The media exaggerates and overblows alot of shit....

Member when Vince Young was trying to commit suicide allegedly ?

Oh it turns out he was just taking McNair kids out to a school function OH !?

Comment

Because Kleiza has proven he can be a roll player on a good team. Beasley hasn't. Beasley looks good right now because he is the main scorer on a bad team. If the talent level around him increased, he would be asked to shoot less. The less he shoots, the less value he has. His only real value is as a volume shooter. He has never shown an ability to do the little things to help a team win, which is the main reason Riley got rid of him.

Another reason I would choose Kleiza over Beasley is because if Beasley ends up averaging 20+ for the season, his value will be overinflated and you'll end up overpaying him. I'd rather pay Kleiza what he is making now, knowing that I can still use him when the team improves, than pay Beasley twice as much even though his value to the team will decrease as the team (hopefully) improves.
                      I would tend to agree as his rebounding, assists, steals, and blocks are hardly impressive.

One area where Beasley is to be commended is his shooting percentage of late. Yes he is taking a high volume of shots but he is making around 50% of late.

Comment

The media exaggerates and overblows alot of shit....

Member when Vince Young was trying to commit suicide allegedly ?

Oh it turns out he was just taking McNair kids out to a school function OH !?
                        You could be correct, but I do not think this was one of those cases.

Comment

\

This whole post is non sense....THIS city would eat him up ? lol
                          He can get anything in Minneapolis that he can get here....have you been to Minny ? if not pls stop talking about things you dont know anything about....

What has he shown ? That a young player who hasnt matured yet can get into trouble,newsflash he isnt the first yet for some reason he is the standard on this board for this amzing new phenomenon....Guess what as he matures and gets older like most players do he'll figure it out......but dont exaggerate how bad his situation was and how bad it is....

lol @ the temptations in Toronto being a players downfall in the NBA

such non sense....
                          drugs are extremely easy to come by here.

and its quite easy for a young man to lose himself in our city's nightlife.

but im not going to convince you... so no point arguing it.

you're right, toronto is the salt lake city of the north.

Comment

And you're judging Kleiza WAY too early. I'm pretty sure he's going to be easily worth his contract in the long run.
                            Hopefully. So far he's the ultimate in volume scoring - TS% of 47.9% ranks him 42nd for SF. Beasley is much better at 55.6%.
                            Never have a clue that passing the ball on occasion can actually improve your team's chances of winning.
                            http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

I agree with Matt, Heinz and Tim.
                              Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Perhaps next time, instead of throwing out a blanket insult because you disagree, you try and take the time to find out the reasons behind someone's argument. Or is that simply too difficult?
                                the first sentence of your post shows how ignorant your are.... almost anyone in the league has proven they can be a role player on a good team...

big baby davis
                                saha vujacic

the fact is beasley is younger, more talented, and has WAY MORE UPSIDE...

i would rather hav a player that smokes weed or w/e but plays hard, over bargs, TJ Ford, hedo turkoglu, and jason kapono.

Comment

Working...
                                X