Possible Draft Day Trade With Blazers Involving 13th Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BomKeyzi wrote: View Post
    While Colangelo's insane affection for european players gets the local fan base excited about watching their countrymen, it will soon be the demise of the Toronto Raptors. One or two europeans is a good mix anything more and you're just a borderline NBA team. Good for international revenue.... BAD for wins. This is the NBA... we need NBA players!!!!
    Good to know where to draw the line.

Guess that's why Portland lost in the playoffs last year after a 54-28 record. They had 1 more than the maximum (Batum, Fernandez, Rodriguez). Probably wasn't smart to taunt the NBA gods either when they made Omer Asik a 2nd round pick earlier that year.

But no team had more gall than the Spurs. In 2006-2007, they had 3 Euros in Parker, Elson and Udrih. They also drafted another Euro in Markota. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had two pseudo-Euros in Oberto and Ginobili.

They knew they had it coming after winning the Championship that year, though. You can fool the NBA gods once, but not twice. Tiago Splitter was the harbinger of their doom, messenger sent from above to waste the Spur's first round pick. After they drafted Printezis, they quickly ditched him onto the ever-willing Raptors, the only team unaware of the Euro curse, to appease the NBA gods.

Still, it was not enough, so they rid the team of Udrih, cut Elson's minutes in favor of the fake Euro, Oberto, and signed Mahinmi only to stash him in the D-League to stunt his progress. Then the Spurs came up with a bright idea. Why aimlessly bow to the will of the NBA gods when they could inflict their wrath on another team? They proceeded to draft another Euro using the pick they received from Toronto, and immediately traded him to their rival, the Suns, while laughing deviously all the way.

Sadly, their plan backfired on them as the NBA gods grew impatient with the Spurs insistence on playing Parker. That they tried to play Mahinmi again after a whole season's absence did not escape the NBA gods' notice. "South Americans count as Europeans," they boomed ominously over Spurs management. "Two and one are still three, and the rule is one or two, not three, and certainly not five. Now it is time for your team to learn." The next day, Dragic, the weapon the Spurs intended to use on the Suns, ousted the Spurs from the playoffs.

Little known, but true.

Comment

bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
      If history has taught us anything is always do the opposite of them Blazer crews on draft nights.
      Allow me to elaborate, if Blazers come to Raps with a trade purposal for our 13th, instead of trading it, keep it. why ? Think back a few years ago when Portland flipped Tyrus thomas into Lamarcus Aldrige, then flipped Randy Foye to Brandon Roy. You know the bulls/t-wolves are begging for a redo on that one.
      I think its 12 month later,they found a way to turn Darell Arthur into Nicholas Batum. Not the best example, but still a good find by Pritchard, Batum is a starter and arthur isn't.

Them Blazer front office have a history of being able to find talent, and if they want our 13th pick, you know they see some good value there, so lets not be the 2010 version of the 06' Bulls/ T-wolves.
      Nice point, but maybe this year will be the opposite, what with Pritchard and ownership at odds. Maybe Pritchard wants to send a parting shot across the bow of the Blazers franchise before he leaves.

BTW:

Fernandez - http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-fernandez
      Belinelli - http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marco-belinelli

I think Spanish and French Euros are fine. It's the Italian and Turkish ones we need to stay away from (sarcasm). And his problems with the Blazers stemmed from lack of playing time. Was hard for him to get off the bench with Webster, Roy, Batum, Outlaw and others all effectively ahead of him in the rotation. IMO, a much better player than Belinelli, and someone we could afford to have come off the bench to inject instant offense, provided we shore up our defense at the same time.

Comment

horrible trade... I seriously don't want to see any more europeans -_-

Comment

Great to know but no team has won with a star core of europeans. Also, black Europeans don`t count. Its those feeble white dudes that suck.

Even players like Nash and Nowitzki haven`t been able to deliver.

Quixotic wrote: View Post

Guess that's why Portland lost in the playoffs last year after a 54-28 record. They had 1 more than the maximum (Batum, Fernandez, Rodriguez). Probably wasn't smart to taunt the NBA gods either when they made Omer Asik a 2nd round pick earlier that year.

But no team had more gall than the Spurs. In 2006-2007, they had 3 Euros in Parker, Elson and Udrih. They also drafted another Euro in Markota. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had two pseudo-Euros in Oberto and Ginobili.

They knew they had it coming after winning the Championship that year, though. You can fool the NBA gods once, but not twice. Tiago Splitter was the harbinger of their doom, messenger sent from above to waste the Spur's first round pick. After they drafted Printezis, they quickly ditched him onto the ever-willing Raptors, the only team unaware of the Euro curse, to appease the NBA gods.

Still, it was not enough, so they rid the team of Udrih, cut Elson's minutes in favor of the fake Euro, Oberto, and signed Mahinmi only to stash him in the D-League to stunt his progress. Then the Spurs came up with a bright idea. Why aimlessly bow to the will of the NBA gods when they could inflict their wrath on another team? They proceeded to draft another Euro using the pick they received from Toronto, and immediately traded him to their rival, the Suns, while laughing deviously all the way.

Sadly, their plan backfired on them as the NBA gods grew impatient with the Spurs insistence on playing Parker. That they tried to play Mahinmi again after a whole season's absence did not escape the NBA gods' notice. "South Americans count as Europeans," they boomed ominously over Spurs management. "Two and one are still three, and the rule is one or two, not three, and certainly not five. Now it is time for your team to learn." The next day, Dragic, the weapon the Spurs intended to use on the Suns, ousted the Spurs from the playoffs.

Little known, but true.

Comment

id rather have the 13th pick....not a big fan of rudy and to many europas in toronto alreadyy

Comment

Ignoring the ignorant comments, do they really need another 3rd string SG?

I would imagine that if BC did this he would get rid of Marco. It saves the Raptors some cash and actually I like Rudy better.

But for someone who will play 20 minutes a game is it worth dropping 9 spots in this draft? At that point (#13) you're just hoping for a rotation player anyway and the pickings will be slimmer at #22.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

If Paul George and Ed Davis are both gone by 13, I'd be all for trading down. Fernandez is much better than he showed last season and would most likely be a better player than anyone else drafted at that spot. Plus, I don't know if there's really going to be much difference between the 13th and 22nd pick, quite frankly.

Quixotic wrote: View Post

Little known, but true.
                Nice!
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

If they do trade down (and I'd rather they didn't unless Alridch, George, and Henry are all gone), I wouldn't be surprised if it's to take Ebanks. i still think he'd be a great fit on the Raps.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
                    Great to know but no team has won with a star core of europeans. Also, black Europeans don`t count. Its those feeble white dudes that suck.

Even players like Nash and Nowitzki haven`t been able to deliver.
                    Nash isn't European. If you include him, you might as well include Duncan. Oh wait, I forgot the NBA gods in my story had big Dr. J afros. Woulda been a lot easier had y'all just referred to the movie title, "White Men Can't Jump," or just said "no team has won with a star core of white Europeans." Batum and Pietrus, you've been cleared! LOL

I wonder what it says about guys like Mikan, Malone, Wilkins or Isiah Thomas, or West, Baylor, Havlicek, Stockton or Barry. Yes, I separated them by skin color for your convenience. =P
                    Last edited by Quixotic; Thu Jun 24, 2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                      Ignoring the ignorant comments, do they really need another 3rd string SG?

I would imagine that if BC did this he would get rid of Marco. It saves the Raptors some cash and actually I like Rudy better.

But for someone who will play 20 minutes a game is it worth dropping 9 spots in this draft? At that point (#13) you're just hoping for a rotation player anyway and the pickings will be slimmer at #22.
                      Honestly, if they went for Fernandez, it should be as the main backup wing. Not that I'm omniscient here, but I feel he'd be an immediate upgrade over all of our wings. If he was 6 years younger and drafted with our 9th overall, he probably would have done a pretty decent job starting for us. I might be reaching here but I think he would have been better than DeRozan. Also, if he was one of the potential draftees tomorrow (again adjusting his age back again), he could very well be a 10 through 18 pick.

That said, I don't actually hope this trade comes to fruition. If it was the 13th pick for Rudy and the 18th, maybe 19th, I'd feel a lot better about it. I know Tim likes the 22nd as well as the 13th, but I think the 22nd is a bit too far down that we better be hoping to draft one of Bledsoe, Ebanks, Sanders, Alabi or Robinson. Or we could hope Damion James or Bradley falls to us. If we want one of George, Henry, Whiteside or Aldrich, 22nd is way too late. Just my two cents.

Comment

Once again if we do this trade we are settling for mediocrity. Come on Rudy is not going to change us to a better team and the 22 pick isn't going to net a player of much value. We should have bought the Rudy pick that year and drafted him but we didn't and now the Blazers are dangling him because their scouts are confident in selecting a good player around our pick.

I rather for the Raptors to go with the high pick and swing for the fences. If our scouts can't find that diamond in the rough at the pick number 13 then its time for them to find another job!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Once again if we do this trade we are settling for mediocrity. Come on Rudy is not going to change us to a better team and the 22 pick isn't going to net a player of much value. We should have bought the Rudy pick that year and drafted him but we didn't and now the Blazers are dangling him because their scouts are confident in selecting a good player around our pick.

I rather for the Raptors to go with the high pick and swing for the fences. If our scouts can't find that diamond in the rough at the pick number 13 then its time for them to find another job!
                          Hey, I'm just as for trading the 13th overall for Chris Paul (or even LBJ) as the next Raptors fan, but you have to start somewhere. And no, I think you can certainly try to find that diamond in the rough, but it doesn't mean you will. If it was a one person sandbox, fine, you can just pick whomever you want, but if the other 29 organizations are doing their jobs just as well as you are, then you're working against each other. Your diamond in the rough just became the surprise 12th overall pick because someone else had an earlier pick or because you tried to grab him later on in the draft. Hence all the disinformation.

Also, you can watch all the NCAA games you want or conduct all the workouts you want, but in the end, you or some other team will still make an Adam Morrison or Luke Jackson-sized mistake. Part of it is the player not projecting as well as you thought he would, and the other is the lack of an actual real-life 5v5 workout with an actual NBA team. It's clear why player agents try to limit access to their clients if they already have a good NCAA resume.

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
                            I'd still rather keep the 13th pick and try and snag a late first-rounder.

Bradley and Ebanks are what Im hoping for.
                            Yes. I have no prejudice against euros, but don't we have a lot of them already? Are they working out?

Scott.
                            Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

Come on people how much better Rudy is then Marco?! they both have the same potential to be better then they are but they both regressed last season and lost their jobs to more consistent players.

Comment

^ Exactly... keep the draft pick and rebuild. I say trade Hedo and Calderon for picks as well.
                                This is a deep draft and we can be the next Thunder except replace durant with ellis lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X