Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Denver Coaching Poaching

Raptors hire assistants Bayno, Mermuys

TORONTO (AP) -- The Toronto Raptors have added assistant coaches Bill Bayno and Jesse Mermuys to Dwane Casey's staff.

Bayno has more than 20 years of coaching experience at the NBA, college and international levels. He spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach in Minnesota and previously spent five years as an assistant in Portland.

Mermuys was a member of Kevin McHale's staff in Houston last season, serving as assistant coach/director of player development. He worked with the Denver Nuggets for four years from 2008-12,

The team also promoted Jama Mahlalela to assistant coach following two seasons as director of player development. Mahlalela was a four-year starter at the University of British Columbia and an assistant coach for four seasons at the University of Toronto.

Casey enters his third season as Raptors head coach. He has a 57-91 record.

Source
    Solid moves all around. Nothing ground shattering.
    Like the promotion of the Canadian guy. Nice to see.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Solid moves all around. Nothing ground shattering.
    Like the promotion of the Canadian guy. Nice to see.
    Hope they all mesh. The Mermuys fellow was part of McHale's staff in Houston last year so technically not "poached" from Denver where he was previously.

Comment

Is Masai rallying up the former troops in case George Karl takes over Casey's job?

Hehehehe just creating controversy.

Comment

Did Minnesota, Denver, Houston run the similar types of offense or defense? Don't think any of those teams had any sort of noteriety for defense. I'm not sure if these guys match well with Casey. Is this really an upgrade in coaching personnel?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Did Minnesota, Denver, Houston run the similar types of offense or defense? Don't think any of those teams had any sort of noteriety for defense. I'm not sure if these guys match well with Casey. Is this really an upgrade in coaching personnel?
          Bayno's a defensive guy.

Comment

If I am not mistaken only Mermuys was in Denver for any period. Karl either used or a variation of the dribble drive motion offense which seems to be what is in vogue. I think Nurse who is supposedly in charge of the offense uses it/or elements. As usual the team must have the talent for the system.

Comment

Just an odd mash of coaches to me. There is one head coach and bringing in an assistant to Run the offense while the head coach run the defence seems like a difference n philosophy. It's not the NFL where you have different lines. Everyone need to b on the same page.

Comment

Just an odd mash of coaches to me. There is one head coach and bringing in an assistant to Run the offense while the head coach run the defence seems like a difference n philosophy. It's not the NFL where you have different lines. Everyone need to b on the same page.
                Seriously, you can't be serious. Who from the raptors organization ever put it in those kind of terms? It seems rather smart to have a right hand man with his specialty being at the other end, or do you want coach Casey calling offensive plays? Something tells me that 2 guys that have been coaching at the pro level for a long time, and both with head coaching experience, are quite used to working within a coaching TEAM, and quite aware how style at one end has to mesh with style at the other end, but what do I know?
                Last edited by p00ka; Thu Jul 25, 2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Casey will be head coach and media relations. This other guys will hopefully do all the real coaching.

Comment

I think nurse will be a good hire for the raps , his work in the d-league was very good getting a bunch of scrubs to play as a team is very hard
                    ya dun noe

Comment

Working...
                    X