2014 Free Agent Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Free Agent Wish List

All of a sudden, we've got some cap flexibility to work with this summer. Now I realize that there are likely more moves ahead, but linked is the list of 2014 NBA free agents:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99...ents-2014-2015

Some notables:

- Luol Deng
    - Greg Monroe (restricted)
    - Chandler Parsons (team option)
    - Darren Collision (player option)
    - Zach Randolph (player option)
    - Eric Bledsoe (restricted)
    - Matt Bonner
    - Gordan Hayward (restricted)
    - Marcin Gortat

haha, I was about to post this quote from Grantland in another thread, and this perfectly themed thread opens up. Is Nilanka a prophet?

"It’s popular to say no major free agents will go to Toronto. It’s cold, it’s in Canada, the Mountie was a mean WWF villain, and signing there brings tax issues. Perhaps. But cap space isn’t just for LeBron James. It allows teams to act as predators in lopsided trades, gobbling up extra assets (first-round draft picks, young players) in exchange for taking on short-term toxic deals. And there are sub-star free agents who sign in less glamorous markets — Josh Smith, O.J. Mayo, Kyle Korver, Monta Ellis, Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, etc. Some of those deals were smart; others were less smart. Ujiri is very smart, and he’ll maximize returns on this cap space."

Link is about the Gay trade
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...and-sacramento
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Trade Lowry and salmons for a 1st rounder. Cross our fingers and hope for Andrew wiggins, and then sign Eric Bledsoe. Boom!

Bledsoe/Vasquez
      Derozan/Ross
      Wiggins/fields
      Johnson/Patterson
      JV/Hayes

Comment

LOL, it's going to be a very interesting next 3 months (leading up to the deadline). 8 months when you include the draft and free agency. I'm excited.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Trade Lowry and salmons for a 1st rounder. Cross our fingers and hope for Andrew wiggins, and then sign Eric Bledsoe. Boom!

Bledsoe/Vasquez
          Derozan/Ross
          Wiggins/fields
          Johnson/Patterson
          JV/Hayes
          lol pipe dream :P

Comment

At the moment, it appears like the Raptors might have cap space to spend this summer, but this can easily change in the next two months. Ujiri could take on some additional salary that carries into next year, in order to add assets. Lowry is currently an expiring contract. Could Ujiri take on a contract that doesn't expire until the end of the 2014-2015 season, in order to add a young prospect and draft pick?

Salmons is also an expiring contract as only $1mil of his salary for next season is guaranteed. Salmons could be an attractive piece to a team that is wanting to add some additional cap space for this summer.

I think it's great to have a place to start talking about players who will/could be free agents next summer, but to say that the Raptors will have a set amount of cap space is a bit premature for me. It's also possible that they could have more if a player like DeRozan is traded for an expiring.

Of the players who are set to be free agents, Bledsoe is one I would take a run at. But I can't see any way that Phoenix lets him walk.
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Some notables:

- Luol Deng
              - Matt Bonner
              - Marcin Gortat
              Gotta call you out on this one. Notable? Really? Unless the notation is "former Raptor" then The Red Rocket is not a notable free agent to target. I loved the guy but come on, you must be pulling our legs on this one.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I meant "notable" as in might pique some interest from the readers

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                  lol pipe dream :P
                  Totally but hey, MU can get it done.

Comment

I meant "notable" as in might pique some interest from the readers
                    haha i figured it must have been something like that.

I honestly don't want any of the notables listed. This team isn't that one piece away, we need more than any quick fix can bring us. Only free agents I'd target are mid level guys....and maybe Matt Bonner

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Totally but hey, MU can get it done.
                      True enough. MU has absolute surpassed all expectations so far this year, so anything can happen I guess...

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        haha i figured it must have been something like that.

I honestly don't want any of the notables listed. This team isn't that one piece away, we need more than any quick fix can bring us. Only free agents I'd target are mid level guys....and maybe Matt Bonner
                        Yeah most guys are bit pieces that might help round out the roster when/if we land our future franchise player in the draft.

EDIT: LeBron, Melo and Bosh have early termination options, but I included somewhat realistic targets

Comment

All of a sudden, we've got some cap flexibility to work with this summer. Now I realize that there are likely more moves ahead, but linked is the list of 2014 NBA free agents:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99...ents-2014-2015

Some notables:

- Luol Deng
                          - Matt Bonner
                          - Marcin Gortat
                          From this list I'd just target a SF. Assuming the Raps don't draft one of course. I like both these guys if the price is right. Though I doubt the situation is right for Deng. Hayward though can be added to a young rebuilding core, though I wouldn't want to throw too much money at him, and I can see some team putting in a crazy offer.

Lots of other names....some are obviously not worht chasing/likely too expensive.

I might keep an eye out for PGs too, especially backups. Pretty solid crop with guys like Nelson, Blake, Ridnour, Hinrich, and more all likely available. And Vasquez of course, who I'd happily re-sign if he has a good enough season.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            From this list I'd just target a SF. Assuming the Raps don't draft one of course. I like both these guys if the price is right. Though I doubt the situation is right for Deng. Hayward though can be added to a young rebuilding core, though I wouldn't want to throw too much money at him, and I can see some team putting in a crazy offer.

Lots of other names....some are obviously not worht chasing/likely too expensive.

I might keep an eye out for PGs too, especially backups. Pretty solid crop with guys like Nelson, Blake, Ridnour, Hinrich, and more all likely available. And Vasquez of course, who I'd happily re-sign if he has a good enough season.
                            Can't see Hayward being signed for anything other than an over-pay (Utah will likely match whatever).

Another below the radar guy I'd kick the tires on is Dante Cunningham. He's become a pretty decent defender for Minnesota, and if we moves a bunch of guys, he'd fill in the Hansbrough role well.

Mostly though, want this team built with young guys trending upwards. Don't want to pay a guy in 2015 for what he accomplished in 2010-2014.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Can't see Hayward being signed for anything other than an over-pay (Utah will likely match whatever).

Another below the radar guy I'd kick the tires on is Dante Cunningham. He's become a pretty decent defender for Minnesota, and if we moves a bunch of guys, he'd fill in the Hansbrough role well.

Mostly though, want this team built with young guys trending upwards. Don't want to pay a guy in 2015 for what he accomplished in 2010-2014.
                              I pretty much agree except with the last part. If Utah doesn't land a top choice, likely taking Parker if they can, then they will likely match offers for Hayward. If they land Parker, I could see them matching only if it is not an overpay, otherwise I think they might let him walk.

Comment

Working...
                              X