No announcement yet.

If Given the Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want everyone to re-visit this poll after our sophmore centre averages 18 pts 9 rebs 2 assists 2 blocks a game on 60% from the field and 80% from the line.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I also want everyone to re-visit this poll when Wiggins wins an MVP award in 4-5 years and lead his team to a championship.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Its going to be a good revist after JVs sophmore year and after Wiggins rookie season.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          I also want everyone to re-visit this poll when Wiggins wins an MVP award in 4-5 years and lead his team to a championship.
          you mean like Brandon Knight did?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/col...2009/12/56799/
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

That's a bold statement. I like Wiggins but idk about that. JV is more valuable at his position

Comment

A center like JV is worth 2 dynamic wing players. I'm old school, I still think point guard and center are the most important positions

Comment

Cant believe anyone is saying JV. JV is a good looking young player who looks like he could be a very good NBA player / borderline all star if all goes well.
                Wiggins (while admittedly earlier in his career and thus much riskier) has WAY more upside and is being projected as the type of player who could be a multiple time all star. Hes not just a #1 overall pick, but a near consensus #1 overall pick in a loaded draft.
                This is a no brainer, my friends. Wiggins all day, every day

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                  A center like JV is worth 2 dynamic wing players. I'm old school, I still think point guard and center are the most important positions
                  While I prefer that style of basketball myself, the team that just won back to back titles doesn't have either.
                  There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                    Cant believe anyone is saying JV. JV is a good looking young player who looks like he could be a very good NBA player / borderline all star if all goes well.
                    Wiggins (while admittedly earlier in his career and thus much riskier) has WAY more upside and is being projected as the type of player who could be a multiple time all star. Hes not just a #1 overall pick, but a near consensus #1 overall pick in a loaded draft.
                    This is a no brainer, my friends. Wiggins all day, every day

So was Harrison Barnes.

I hope Wiggins does awesome but this is a good question for one year from now.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      Brandon Knight? are you people serious about this? LOL really?

I'm a basketball lifer and the 1st time i heard of the name Brandon Knight was when he was playing for Kentucky. Never heard of him when he was in HS. And i'm pretty sure you've never heard of him when he was in HS as well.

Andrew Wiggins? everyone know who he is for years now. Not just Canadians but every fans who loves/follows basketball/NBA. The last time a HS player got this much attention? the only thing i can think of was LeBron James back in 2003. And Wiggins i think is the best prospect the NBA have had since LeBron.

But anyway, Raptors fans once again overrating their own player. Sigh. I love JV i think he's going to be a great player in this league. But Wiggins has hall of fame talent.

The fact that there's even an argument about this whole thing is ridiculous. And there's actually 4 people here that voted for JV? Sigh.
                      Last edited by The Great One; Sat Jun 22, 2013, 12:58 AM.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

I'm a basketball lifer and the 1st time i heard of the name Brandon Knight was when he was playing for Kentucky. Never heard of him when he was in HS. And i'm pretty sure you've never heard of him when he was in HS as well.

Andrew Wiggins? everyone know who he is for years now. Not just Canadians but every fans who loves/follows basketball/NBA. The last time a HS player got this much attention? the only thing i can think of was LeBron James back in 2003. And Wiggins i think is the best prospect the NBA have had since LeBron.

But anyway, Raptors fans once again overrating their own player. Sigh. I love JV i think he's going to be a great player in this league. But Wiggins has hall of fame talent.

The fact that there's even an argument about this whole thing is ridiculous. And there's actually 4 people here that voted for JV? Sigh.
                        It just shows that they've grown on JV and wouldn't trade him even for Wiggins, quite simple. Not surprised, in fact I'm on the same train, get me a superstar like Lebron via trade and I won't cheer for this team more just because now they have fancy diva superstar. I mean really, for me it kills the excitement. In fact, I will slowly start looking for other team, like San Antonio, to cheer for.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Well someone's already mentioned Harrison Barnes, who was touted as the next LeBron/Kobe calibre wing for years. Years! I think the first time I heard of Barnes he was only 13...

For a bigger "bust", how about Quincy Miller? I knew about him for at least a couple of years before college. He was supposed to be the next Durant. One knee injury and an average college showing later, and he was a 2nd rd pick.

So much can happen in a year. I mean, you could have this opinion now, but what if JV busts out next year and clearly becomes part of the "best big in the NBA" argument? I firmly believe when you look at his skill set compared to other bigs, it wouldn't be that hard for him to dominate, and he has already shown to do that in spurts against top NBA competition. What about Wiggins? He could be drafted, and LeBron and KD are going to be owning the SF position still. Can he outclass one of those guys? This is the question that the answer has to be "yes" (remember it's a "can" not "will" question, so it's just about whether he's on their level) to in order for it to make sense to trade a 2-way C with elite talent for a wing player. Right now, the answer is "maybe" IMO. That means he still have to prove his value. To me, this would mean a dominant college performance...averaging around 25 and 7, and leading his team deep into the tournament.

People have to remember....JV has been regarded as one of, if not the best, C prospect in the world since he was about 16 or 17. And now he's starting to live up to that hype. Shit, if he was Canadian, like Wiggins, fans on this site would've been drinking his kool-aid since he was 14-15 probably.

People also have to remember it's not just about talent, but what you do with that talent. If Wiggins can't dominate in college despite the obvious fact that he's more talented than everyone, what does that say about his personality? You could end up getting a faux franchise player who frustratingly never maximizes his talent. Could be more Rudy Gay than LeBron James...

Again, a lot can happen in a year....for both guys, in the end.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            So was Harrison Barnes.

I hope Wiggins does awesome but this is a good question for one year from now.
                            Sort of yes, but sort of no.

Harrison Barnes was the top player in his highschool class, yes. But he wasn't a for sure one and done, top rated pick for the NBA draft before he even before he played a college game.

There are very few guys like this. Lebron was obviously one. To be honest, I cant remember another one since the rules changed to mandate a year of college (although I might be forgetting someone). John Wall and Kyrie might be close as guys who were at the top of their class going in and did their one year and kept that status.. but Im not sure even they had the hype that Wiggins does.

Anyways .. we shall see, but if I had the opportunity to do this trade right now, Id do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                              Sort of yes, but sort of no.

Harrison Barnes was the top player in his highschool class, yes. But he wasn't a for sure one and done, top rated pick for the NBA draft before he even before he played a college game.

There are very few guys like this. Lebron was obviously one. To be honest, I cant remember another one since the rules changed to mandate a year of college (although I might be forgetting someone). John Wall and Kyrie might be close as guys who were at the top of their class going in and did their one year and kept that status.. but Im not sure even they had the hype that Wiggins does.

Anyways .. we shall see, but if I had the opportunity to do this trade right now, Id do it in a heartbeat.
                              Yes, he was. He was absolutely considered this before he started his career at NC. And even after a freshman season where he didn't meet the high expectations, many were shocked when he decided to stay in college, thinking his skills are a better fit for the NBA and he would just go.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Yes, he was. He was absolutely considered this before he started his career at NC. And even after a freshman season where he didn't meet the high expectations, many were shocked when he decided to stay in college, thinking his skills are a better fit for the NBA and he would just go.
                                I don't follow NBA prospects in detail compared to others so feel free to take this with a grain of salt. The way I recall Barnes was he was considered a strong candidate for the the #1 spot long before the draft. Wiggins on the other hand is coming across as a no questions or competition #1 long before the draft (there is ofcourse always a contrarian or two). Maybe a minut detail, but I think its significant to this discussion.

The discussion around Wiggins is much closer to the discussion around Lebron James than the discussion was around Barnes.

That said, I still think Barnes is a solid example of how much can change in a year or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X