Raptors should make Patterson their full time starter at the 4 spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I would assume that for that 5-8 minute stretch that the opposing team's bench would also be on the court as well. A PnR with Amir even if it can be stopped would have to be done with inferior talent on the opposing side.
    Match-ups would be key here, as even a lower seeded team could have a better bench than us. Right now, it's lining up that we would play either Washington, Brooklyn or Chicago in the 1st round. Chicago can bring a dude off the streets and he'll defend for Thibs. Brooklyn would have AK47 patrolling the 2nd unit. Washington is the 7th best DRtg team in the league and Trevor Booker is actually a pretty good defender at the back-up PF spot.

Don't even want to consider how this would work against Miami or Indiana in the 2nd round.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      I think you nailed it on the head of exactly what would happen. It wouldn't take defences long to adjust and certainly wouldn't work in the playoffs. GV just hasn't been able to shoot that well in his career. If Salmons was the Salmons of 5 years ago, it could work but with this current group I don't see how.

Any time a unit's primary scoring option is Amir, it's going to struggle to score. It's just not his game. He can be a good component in an offence, but he can't be the focal point. Too easy to defend. You'd need to add a shooter for pick and pop or slasher for weakside cuts to make it work. I'm sure Masai could acquire those pieces in the future, but for today, no thanks.
      Yup. To make this particular Raps bench work (even with 2Pat in there) you need at a classic sixth man, high-usage, gunner-type of wing, e.g. Jamal Crawford, Ben Gordon, OJ Mayo, etc ..... Like you said, those type of guys are usually available.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
        I think it could work. It was bad today because of the bench drop off but I think a lot of that had to do with Casey playing Hayes way too much tonight and there being no Amir. If you had Amir and Tyler coming off the bench it might not be as bad. Vasquez and Amir might actually be pretty good in the pick and roll. And Tyler can draw fouls and be used in the post. Both Vasquez and Salmons can pass so Tyler and Amir might get more touches and both of them are efficient so that would be a good thing.
        Casey is using Hayes way too much. Just like he did last year with Alan Anderson.

Comment

So in conclusion we need a scorer for our second unit at the trade deadline and we all good with this move

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            So in conclusion we need a scorer for our second unit at the trade deadline and we all good with this move
            If we can get the right player, absolutely. Question then is, who and at what cost? Obviously if you're making a move for depth, moving any depth guy could have ramifications. Moving Hansbrough would be probably the best combo of return value with minimal disruption to the unit.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Come playoff time I seriously hope Casey shrinks his bench and gives the starters many more minutes (40+). No reason why GV should get a lot of playing time when the real season begins, especially when guards usually don't get into foul trouble.
              In playoffs we will need John Salmons for defensive coverage.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                In playoffs we will need John Salmons for defensive coverage.
                Which is kinda sad lol. But true.

Comment

If we can get the right player, absolutely. Question then is, who and at what cost? Obviously if you're making a move for depth, moving any depth guy could have ramifications. Moving Hansbrough would be probably the best combo of return value with minimal disruption to the unit.
                  I just think that Masai can get a deal done without giving away any of our rotation player.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                    I wanted Jordan Crawford...but not going to happen now

Unless we trade DD for Barnes+Crawford (I think this would actually be pretty good for TO)

Will have to go through multiple trades since Crawford cannot be traded in conjunction with other players

Comment

The one guy I keep thinking about, especially if LAL is happy tanking this season and wants to clear as much salary as possible for the offseason, is Nick Young. He's making $1.12M this season, with a $1.23M player option for next season (might not use it, if he feels he can sign for more after a decent season this year). He'd be a great scoring option off the bench, especially given the lack of wing depth on the roster.

The Raps could use TPE or offer somebody like Stone/Buycks, perhaps along with OKC's 2014 2nd round pick.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        The one guy I keep thinking about, especially if LAL is happy tanking this season and wants to clear as much salary as possible for the offseason, is Nick Young. He's making $1.12M this season, with a $1.23M player option for next season (might not use it, if he feels he can sign for more after a decent season this year). He'd be a great scoring option off the bench, especially given the lack of wing depth on the roster.

The Raps could use TPE or offer somebody like Stone/Buycks, perhaps along with OKC's 2014 2nd round pick.
                        I really dislike Nick Young, but you are right, he could fill that role. I don't trust Young to play intelligent ball and since team chemistry is something working in our favor, he is definitely a risky choice.

Personally, I'd rather keep Patterson on the bench and re-assess via draft and free agency.

Comment

I really dislike Nick Young, but you are right, he could fill that role. I don't trust Young to play intelligent ball and since team chemistry is something working in our favor, he is definitely a risky choice.

Personally, I'd rather keep Patterson on the bench and re-assess via draft and free agency.
                          I was thinking more as a cheap, short-term fix, that might not cost too much in trade. I expect he'll opt-out after this season, regardless where he finishes it - slightly more than $1M for a proven gunner off the bench is pretty good and shouldn't come with any further expectations.

Comment

I'm interested in this Idea. Pick n Pop is more affective when you have a more quicker PG(KLow) drawing attention. It's also more of a easier pass for Lowry to make. I feel like when he does a pick an roll all the size length cloud his vision. Especially since his only 6 foot tall.

That fact PATMAN is on the floor with JV it makes it easier to run pick and roll with JV

Example
                            At the 0:10 mark look how Lowry and JV have half of the court.
                            http://youtu.be/SK3ZkAvHJ5g

I'm still not sold on it. I would like to see it for one more game. I feel that Amir should have the night off tomorrow too. That would give him a full week to recover. So his fresh to finish the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nick young is the leading scorer for the Lakers at 17 pts a game! I highly doubt their going to trade him for a second round pick or scraps
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                                Nick young is the leading scorer for the Lakers at 17 pts a game! I highly doubt their going to trade him for a second round pick or scraps
                                All their fans want to resign him. The Swag Mamba!
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X