Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors Season Preview by NBA TV (Videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Raptors Season Preview by NBA TV (Videos)

I do agree with what they are saying. Gay does need to be 20+ PPG guy to make us a legit playoff team, but more important, they do bring up a very good point that Gay doesn't make anybody on our team any better. Hopefully, since the team has spent a lot of time together, he can start having the mentality of making his teammates better and pass the ball to the open man instead of taking the 18 foot jumper.

Interesting how Sam Mitchell predicts that Casey might have the same great season Mitchell had in the 2006-2007 season. Not sure if that will happen, but we can only hope. Some good things were mentioned about Valanciunas. From what I've seen from pre-season, Val will have a great season, but we will see some growing pains. I would also like to see some more post-ups sets for him because I feel like sometimes Casey strays away from posting JV up at times. Not sure about Mitchell's assessment of Buycks though especially since he had so many cringe-worthy moments in the pre-season.

Comment

Nothing really to disagree with...

Comment

Pretty cool to see NBA TV do some film study about the Toronto Raptors. I don't really particularly like Casey always running plays to get Rudy Gay a shot especially since there have been many people already cringing about his efficiency and shot-selection. As a casual fan that doesn't really know too much about the sets being played during a game, it's interesting to see Mitchell dissecting the plays we run for our three main players.

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

I agree with Sam's sentiments on Buycks. If the choice is Augustine or Buycks, Buycks adds significantly more. DJ would rather wait in the corner for a three than run a team. Buycks is comfortable driving, attacking and putting defenses on their heels. He's also slightly bigger, and appears to be more capable of getting assists.

If Ross was more aggressive maybe you don't need a second unit guard like Buycks, but I can see him attacking in games, maintaining the offensive momentum in games and when teams start throwing double teams at him it looks like he'll be able to find the open man -- but that's a judgement made looking at French league highlights, pre-season and Summer League.

I wonder if Augustine won't get cut, Beaubois is still a free agent. Stone has the potential to be something at 3 positions, and would be great to see if rehabbing his various injuries and extra training (maybe a d-league stint?) help his offense to a usable level...I could see them eat Augustine's contract if they're allowed to give Beaubois the league minimum.

Comment

theres another video on nba.com where chuck talks bout the raptors for a whole 47 second and he obviously didn't seem to be giving any shits
            sad story hes missing out
            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              Thanks for posting this.

I agree with Sam's sentiments on Buycks. If the choice is Augustine or Buycks, Buycks adds significantly more...
              Buycks adds more offence, is an average defender, but I don't see a lot of facilitation going on. What is he averaging, one assist a game? As soon as he crosses the line he starts directing people so he can get set up for his shot or his drive. I would prefer a backup PG who helps the guys on the second unit be better, as opposed to one who is going to convince them to chuck if they ever get their hands on the ball, for fear they will never see it again.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Good stuff.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Smitch giving the Raps lots of love. Not sure about the Buycks comment though.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

I agree with Sam's sentiments on Buycks. If the choice is Augustine or Buycks, Buycks adds significantly more. DJ would rather wait in the corner for a three than run a team. Buycks is comfortable driving, attacking and putting defenses on their heels. He's also slightly bigger, and appears to be more capable of getting assists.

If Ross was more aggressive maybe you don't need a second unit guard like Buycks, but I can see him attacking in games, maintaining the offensive momentum in games and when teams start throwing double teams at him it looks like he'll be able to find the open man -- but that's a judgement made looking at French league highlights, pre-season and Summer League.

I wonder if Augustine won't get cut, Beaubois is still a free agent. Stone has the potential to be something at 3 positions, and would be great to see if rehabbing his various injuries and extra training (maybe a d-league stint?) help his offense to a usable level...I could see them eat Augustine's contract if they're allowed to give Beaubois the league minimum.
                    I don't really agree with Sam's assessment on Buycks as much. He seemed really disorganized and trying to force his game too much. Probably trying to prove himself and get more minutes, but it seems like everytime he had the ball in his hands, he would either jack up a shot or taking some really awkward shot at the basket. I would really like to see him be more of a facilitator and run the offense like he showed us in summer league.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Buycks adds more offence, is an average defender, but I don't see a lot of facilitation going on. What is he averaging, one assist a game? As soon as he crosses the line he starts directing people so he can get set up for his shot or his drive. I would prefer a backup PG who helps the guys on the second unit be better, as opposed to one who is going to convince them to chuck if they ever get their hands on the ball, for fear they will never see it again.
                      He's at 3 assists a game in 18 minutes which isn't bad...but 2 turnovers a game does bug me without being able to look at individual game logs...I would prefer a pass first point guard with the second unit, but if Ross is going to play passively for long spots someone has to be the offensive catalyst, and there is a net benefit to having Buycks attack the paint. It's all relative. Beaubois is out there. If he can stay relatively healthy I would cut DJ who is doing nothing much for him...

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                      I don't really agree with Sam's assessment on Buycks as much. He seemed really disorganized and trying to force his game too much. Probably trying to prove himself and get more minutes, but it seems like everytime he had the ball in his hands, he would either jack up a shot or taking some really awkward shot at the basket. I would really like to see him be more of a facilitator and run the offense like he showed us in summer league.
                      Buycks isn't jacking up that many shots. He actually has not attempted a single 3 according to Real GM. That said, he does have a FG% below 40% which is probably tied more so with playing on a unit with players that refuse to demand the ball, or attack. Acy shouldn't be the only person cutting for a pass when the third unit and Ross are playing.

Meanwhile DJ is averaging 1.5 assists in 14 minutes, shooting 37% from 3 (which is fair) but a woeful 27% Field Goal percentage THAT'S jacking it up. He's only averaging 3.3 points a game which is alarming when you consider how few assists he creates.

Neither is perfect but I would lean towards the pg who tries to initiate offense, cut the other for a vet like Beaubois and hope Stone can add something to his game and be on the end of the bench by mid season. I'm not sure if that makes financial sense mind you, but that's how I see the backup PG issue.

Comment

If pre-injury Beaubois were available, I'd dump Augustin like a sack of dead hookers. But he hasn't been the same since that series of foot injuries, and the Roddy Beaubois of today is barely worth a roster spot.

Comment

Didn't seem like Roddy ever got past the "potential" stage of his career. Never put up great numbers.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                            If pre-injury Beaubois were available, I'd dump Augustin like a sack of dead hookers. But he hasn't been the same since that series of foot injuries, and the Roddy Beaubois of today is barely worth a roster spot.
                            Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Didn't seem like Roddy ever got past the "potential" stage of his career. Never put up great numbers.
                            Barbosa is out there as well...but he's not a pass first guard. To be better than the Raps guards Roddy just has to be solid, he doesn't have to reach his potential.

Comment

Barbosa is out there as well...but he's not a pass first guard. To be better than the Raps guards Roddy just has to be solid, he doesn't have to reach his potential.
                              I agree that we haven't seen great things from Buycks yet, but I think it's better to take a flyer on guys who are cheap because they're an unknown quantity (like him or Stone) than to go for guys that are cheap because they're known to be problematic or bad (Beaubois, Barbosa).

Comment

Working...
                              X