2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    What are you talking about? DeMar doesn't play around the rim. He slashes and shoots like i said, but we need a guy beside him that can do those things and also defend and handle the ball.
    I was alluding to the fact DeMar doesnt do either very well.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      What's funny is that nobody was talking about T-Rob 2 months ago...
      +1

I'm not convinced his toughness and strength will be any advantage at the next level. He is 21 battling a lot of 18/19 year olds. I'm really not trying to crap on him, I just don't think he is going to be a great pro - average at best.

Comment

• Exactly. It's not like the Morris brothers are lighting it up at the NBA level, and T-Rob couldn't get minutes ahead of these guys.

Comment

This is true (at least on this board I think). But the last 2 games was an eye opener for me. The guy is maniacal and he just about willed his team to a win. What a motor along with a decent PF skill set. We need the intangible leadership quality desperately on the Raps. JV seems to have it and so does MKG and TRob is in the conversation now. As it stands its a tossup for me between MKG and he... after AD. Imagine TR & JV in the front. I also see a possible similarity in the strengths that JV and AD bring...they could clash doing the same thing... so missing on AD is "bearable"! (shot blocking and rebounding mostly is my thinking).I also noticed that AD was handled fairly routinely in the post on offense because of his weight and he doesnt appear to me as a body that would get too bulky.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            ...I also noticed that AD was handled fairly routinely in the post on offense because of his weight and he doesnt appear to me as a body that would get too bulky.
            After gaining 8" in his last two years, I would expect his weight to be behind his growth. He doesn't seem to have a huge frame, but I would be surprised if he doesn't add at least 20 pounds over the next three years.

Comment

This is true (at least on this board I think). But the last 2 games was an eye opener for me. The guy is maniacal and he just about willed his team to a win. What a motor along with a decent PF skill set. We need the intangible leadership quality desperately on the Raps. JV seems to have it and so does MKG and TRob is in the conversation now. As it stands its a tossup for me between MKG and he... after AD. Imagine TR & JV in the front. I also see a possible similarity in the strengths that JV and AD bring...they could clash doing the same thing... so missing on AD is "bearable"! (shot blocking and rebounding mostly is my thinking).I also noticed that AD was handled fairly routinely in the post on offense because of his weight and he doesnt appear to me as a body that would get too bulky.
              I worry that both Davis and Robinson could provide disappointment to whatever team drafts them, simply because the expectations will be set so high.

Robinson is a man among boys for much of the NCAA tourney, using his size to simply overpower the opposition (similar to JV in the under-19 tourney). T-Rob should still be a solid NBA PF, but I don't see him putting up anything close to the sick stats he has been putting up. I predict solid contributor, but hardly a star.

As for Davis, I worry that much like Bargnani, he'll always be a slight disappoinment as a #1 pick. He will be an outstanding help defender, but I think he will get out-muscled by bigger NBA PFs (slightly shorter, PF version of Camby, I worry). I don't think he's that good offensively, but he certainly has room to improve. As a #1 pick, he'll always be in demand for his defense, but I think he'll leave his team wanting more (again similar to Camby's one dimensionality).

I wouldn't be upset if the Raptors picked Davis, but I don't like the idea of picking Robinson or Drummond at a stacked position, when there are so many equally good players available to draft to fill positions of weakness on the Raptors roster. My top 3 are still MKG, Beal and Marshall.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 3, 2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

That's cause more ppl on this forum wanted the raptors to pick for need. I feel more ppl here have come around to picking BPA. His been a top5 pick all year long. He might be new to some here but, not to scouts.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Oh contraire mon frere. I was asking about him around mid February (#1000 of this thread) which isn't 2 months ago but around the time he really began to catch my eye. He was putting up consistent numbers then and has done so all through out the tourney.

You tell me what looks more intimidating to opposing teams venturing into the paint...Robinson and Val or Bargs and Val?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I worry that both Davis and Robinson could provide disappointment to whatever team drafts them, simply because the expectations will be set so high.

Robinson is a man among boys for much of the NCAA tourney, using his size to simply overpower the opposition (similar to JV in the under-19 tourney). T-Rob should still be a solid NBA PF, but I don't see him putting up anything close to the sick stats he has been putting up. I predict solid contributor, but hardly a star.

As for Davis, I worry that much like Bargnani, he'll always be a slight disappoinment as a #1 pick. He will be an outstanding help defender, but I think he will get out-muscled by bigger NBA PFs (slightly shorter, PF version of Camby, I worry). I don't think he's that good offensively, but he certainly has room to improve. As a #1 pick, he'll always be in demand for his defense, but I think he'll leave his team wanting more (again similar to Camby's one dimensionality).

I wouldn't be upset if the Raptors picked Davis, but I don't like the idea of picking Robinson or Drummond at a stacked position, when there are so many equally good players available to draft to fill positions of weakness on the Raptors roster. My top 3 are still MKG, Beal and Marshall.
                    You make good points. Re TRob I realize he is a junior but apparently his game improvement over the last 2 years have even surprised his coaches. So he may have more room for improvement. He has a solid physique/240 lbs/6'9" and not shy about using it. That seems to be about where most nba PFs measure but what I see separating him is his intensity. And it's this that is so appealing to me (as is MKG). I just find the others somewhat in the passive category (Barnes, Beal, Drummond). In the end it all depends on where we slot and may the best player on the board be selected.

Comment

Exactly. It's not like the Morris brothers are lighting it up at the NBA level, and T-Rob couldn't get minutes ahead of these guys.
                      If T-Rob would have entered the draft last year he would of went higher than both then Morris Brothers. His a better prospect. Their are a hand ful of things that translate from college to the pros Rebounding, Athlecism, Motor, Defense and work ethic. Thomas Robinson has all that in his game. His game has also gotten some much better in over one year too.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                        After gaining 8" in his last two years, I would expect his weight to be behind his growth. He doesn't seem to have a huge frame, but I would be surprised if he doesn't add at least 20 pounds over the next three years.
                        You maybe right. He has awfully narrow shoulders and 20 lbs over his body especially his long arms isnt going to be much. He probably needs all of it in lower body because he couldnt get post position easily on his defender who was not much bigger than he was. But what do I know about physiology and the mechanics of ideal posting
                        Last edited by Bendit; Tue Apr 3, 2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          Oh contraire mon frere. I was asking about him around mid February (#1000 of this thread) which isn't 2 months ago but around the time he really began to catch my eye. He was putting up consistent numbers then and has done so all through out the tourney.

You tell me what looks more intimidating to opposing teams venturing into the paint...Robinson and Val or Bargs and Val?
                          Robinson is definitely more intimidating than Bargnani. But then again, so is a box of newborn kittens...

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            If T-Rob would have entered the draft last year he would of went higher than both then Morris Brothers. His a better prospect. Their are a hand ful of things that translate from college to the pros Rebounding, Athlecism, Motor, Defense and work ethic. Thomas Robinson has all that in his game. His game has also gotten some much better in over one year too.
                            Remember Faried last year? Many said he wouldnt translate...not big enough etc. Now a starter in Denver I think. And TR is much better imo.

Comment

You maybe right. He has awfully narrow shoulders and 20 lbs over his body especially his long arms isnt going to be much. He probably needs all of it in lower body because he couldnt get post position easily on his defender who was not much bigger than he was. But what do I know about physiology and the mechanics of ideal posting
                              Davis has narrow shoulders? His shoulders look about 10 feet wide to me. From my perspective, his frame his huge he just hasn't grown into it. People make way too much of the "size" factor. In any case, Davis, even though he's thin, isn't a small guy. He must be somewhere around 220 at 19 and, remember, he just gained this height a couple years ago. Concerns in that regard are overstated.

Comment

Remember Faried last year? Many said he wouldnt translate...not big enough etc. Now a starter in Denver I think. And TR is much better imo.
                                +1

His more polished and taller and bigger.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X